Jacque Jones mom berates fan taunting her son

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Fan taunting Jones gets earful from player's mom

By Dave van Dyck

Tribune staff reporter

May 29, 2006

It has been a tough first two months at Wrigley Field for new Cubs right fielder Jacque Jones.

He has been booed brutally and even had a ball whiz past his head, courtesy of a drunken fan in the bleachers.

But the latest incident has gone even further, involving his mother and fans—who may have been sitting in the seats of manager Dusty Baker—in the family section behind home plate.

In Friday's game, Jones lost a ball in the sun during the seventh inning that ruined Carlos Zambrano's no-hitter. In the bottom of the inning, Jones was called out on strikes and a fan allegedly yelled, "The sun must have gotten in your eyes."

According to witnesses, the fan was berated by a finger-wagging woman wearing a replica of Jones' No. 11 jersey. It turns out the woman was Jones' mother, Linda Faulk, sitting two rows away. Jones admitted the incident happened but was reluctant to go into details.

"She took care of it," he said. "She took care of it how every parent should.

"You shouldn't have to listen to that when you come to games."

Wrigley Field security apparently came to the scene to quiet the matter. The berating fans allegedly told security they were sitting in Baker's seats.

While admitting he had heard about the incident, Baker claimed he wasn't sure if the fans were in his seats.

"A friend of mine (a minor-league coach for another team) called and asked me if I could get him two tickets for people he knew," Baker said. "He was a friend of mine, so I did. I do that a lot for people I know."

Baker said he did not know who used the two tickets.

Jones said it was his mother's second trip to Wrigley Field.

"She thinks it is like that all the time," he said.

Asked if she would come back, Jones said, "Oh, yeah."

Oh man, sooo funny on several levels. Mom defending her boy, the fans taunting Jacque were in Dusty's seats....classic!!

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 30, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
Oh come on!! If the dude was cursing or being racial or something I could see her becoming angry, but all he did was make a joke about the sun getting in his eyes. Mommy needs to calm down.

Nobody got angry. I thought his remark was childish.