Too Early for All-Star Game Chat???

jasonxctf

never... long day at work leads to this.

Assuming same starters as last year...

1B- Ortiz-BOS (only exception to starter rule)

2B- Roberts- BALT

SS- Tejada- BALT

3B- A. Rod- NYY

LF- Ramirez- BOS

RF- Guerrero- LAA

CF- Damon- NYY

C- Varitek- BOS

Bench

Thome-CWS

Konerko- CWS

Castillo- MIN

Grudzielanek- KC

Jeter- NYY

Young- TEX

Hillenbrand- TOR

Blake- CLEV

Rios- TOR

Swisher- OAK

Dye- CWS

Wells- TOR

Suzuki- SEA

Mauer- MIN

Pitchers

Contreras- CWS

Buehrle- CWS

Sabathia- CLEV

Verlander- DET

Kazmir- TB

Halladay- TOR

Paperbon- BOS

Jones- DET

Ryan- TOR

Ray- BALT

I don't think that Ortiz should start at 1B. His AVG isn't great and he isn't lighting the world on fire.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

49 187 32 50 11 0 14 47 103 27 37 0 0 .361 .551 .267

The same with Varitek and Roberts. Varitek is in a slump and Roberts hasn't played in enough games this year for me to think that he is All-Star starter worthy.

Edited by sayitaintso

I think it's alright to talk about the ASG. Just don't talk about the Cy Young. I started a thread last year with about a month and a half left of the season, and I asked which starter (Buehrle/Garland) would win it. Then s*** hit the fan. I blame myself for the swoon we had towards the end of last year :P

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 30, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
Tek is going to be lucky to make the All Star game this year.

Paul,Jim,Dye,Pierz,MB,and Count should all be there.

I think AJ's a bit of a stretch, given the numbers that guys like Mauer and Posada are running right now. hell, AJ has fewer RBI's than any other starting catcher in the AL save Kendall. Varitek also may be voted in again despite his bad numbers the first 2 months.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 30, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
I think AJ's a bit of a stretch, given the numbers that guys like Mauer and Posada are running right now. hell, AJ has fewer RBI's than any other starting catcher in the AL save Kendall. Varitek also may be voted in again despite his bad numbers the first 2 months.

Agreed about AJ. Thome definitely has the offensive numbers, but I seem to remember talk about him having a difficult time getting in because he's a DH. (I'm assuming that's because it's being played in an NL park.) Hopefully he won't get screwed out of a bench spot.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 30, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
Agreed about AJ. Thome definitely has the offensive numbers, but I seem to remember talk about him having a difficult time getting in because he's a DH. (I'm assuming that's because it's being played in an NL park.) Hopefully he won't get screwed out of a bench spot.

If JT would have difficulty, then why wouldn't Ortiz since he is a DH too?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 30, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
If AJ can bump up his RBI totals a bit, Oz wont keep him off the roster... :P

Ozzie has less input on this roster than guys used to...mainly a result of Torre's stacking of the roster with Yankees a few years ago IIRC. Many of the slots are now actually chosen by the players (that's how PK got on there last year).

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ May 30, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
If JT would have difficulty, then why wouldn't Ortiz since he is a DH too?

Ortiz is a DH, but he's also on the ballot as a 1st baseman this year. Thome's in a worse spot because the Sox have another all star playing at 1b, while the Red Sox do not, so the BoSox could get Ortiz in the voting by saying he was a 1st baseman and pretending Youkilis exists as much as the other Greek Gods.

Thome's gonna need write-ins to get on, he's not on the ballot due to the game being played in a national league ballpark and the DH not being a option on the roster.

Someone made the decision to put Paulie on the ballot instead of Jim, tough call if you ask me.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...r2006&fext=.jsp

QUOTE(PlunketChris @ May 30, 2006 -> 06:12 PM)
Thome's gonna need write-ins to get on, he's not on the ballot due to the game being played in a national league ballpark and the DH not being a option on the roster.

Someone made the decision to put Paulie on the ballot instead of Jim, tough call if you ask me.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...r2006&fext=.jsp

I think Guillen could still pick Thome as a reserve, even though there is no DH. Every all-star game 2-3 people pinch hit and nothing more.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 30, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
No Crede???

Joe's problem right now is other 3b. If you assume that ARod gets voted in, Hank Blalock may not play as good of defense as Crede, but his offensive numbers are a little better. Blalock has a higher B.A., the same number of home runs, and a higher OBP. Chavez has more home runs, plays a fine defense, has a higher slug, and higher OBP. It'll be hard for Joe to hop in front of all those guys unless he hits another big surge in the next few weeks.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:00 AM)
of course the problem is finding a guy from every team. thus Grudzelanek from KC is the most qualified player they've got. While deserving, Kazmir from Tampa takes another spot away from a pitcher, etc.

I wouldn't say Kazmir is taking away another spot from a pitcher. He is more deserving than anyone, except for perhaps Contreras, Verlander, and Mussina. Loaiza took another pitchers spot in 2004.