Its Time For The Josh Fields Era To Begin...........

Thunderin'Thome

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 31, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
But I saw him make top 10 plays like 20 times!

Did you see that play Gary Sheffield made yesterday where he leaps up on the track in right center field and makes that crazy awesome play? Fricken wicked man.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Thunderin @ May 31, 2006 -> 12:29 AM)
I dont think it can be bad. He was a quarterback in college.

There for he has an awesomely accurate arm at a position he's never played in his career right? I mean if he could hit a moving reciever he must be able to track down a fly ball, camp underneath it get in good throwing postion then hit a stationary catcher, right?

QUOTE(Thunderin @ May 31, 2006 -> 01:34 AM)
What is the one TV show you don’t like to miss?

Josh Fields: Viva La Bam, in the off-season I got to watching it pretty much every single time it was on.

Haha, this proves that he would be a banger outfielder.....now I know you guys love those types.

Now I'm convinced.

I'm not against moving Fields to LF, but Pods is not a solution in CF. Pods is one of the worse left fielders in baseball and would make Mack look great out in CF.

If Anderson is sent down and continues to struggle I think the team will have to look elsewhere to find a defensive minded (but solid enough on offense) outfielder that could either start everyday or platoon with Mack.

I love Fields and what he's turning into, but he won't be up until Pods is gone or if the Sox go another direction somewhere else (3B).

All I can say is Kenny is thinking about doing it. And he knows alot more about baseball than any of us.

I was (and still am) a big supporter of Brian Anderson at the beginnning of the season, but I am just tired of watching him either swing and balls in the dirt and strike out or hit the first pitch and its an easy, weak two-chopper to the infield. Something is wrong with the guys swing/mecanics, so let him go to the minors and figure it out.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ May 30, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
How bad is Fields' arm? You can mask one bad arm, but 2 you can't.

Note I could have mentioned the Cubs OF in this, but I am refusing to.

Fields has a very good arm and it probably would be among the league bests in terms of left fielders. But the man has not played any left field, so before we discuss this he would have to get some innings in AAA in the outfield.

A more realistic possibility is Ryan Sweeney being called up. He's been playing CF and was just activated from the Knights disabled list and has already had a couple hits since coming back.

QUOTE(Thunderin @ May 30, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
All I can say is Kenny is thinking about doing it. And he knows alot more about baseball than any of us.

I was (and still am) a big supporter of Brian Anderson at the beginnning of the season, but I am just tired of watching him either swing and balls in the dirt and strike out or hit the first pitch and its an easy, weak two-chopper to the infield. Something is wrong with the guys swing/mecanics, so let him go to the minors and figure it out.

Inside info or is that from your original quotes on Fields moving to left. I think the point of Fields moving to left is valid, but it won't be to allow Pods to play CF, it will be because Pods is gone after the off-season, or something else completely odd happened.

Fields could play left, 3rd (but not very well), 1st, DH and maybe (and this is a big maybe since he'd need to log some innings) RF.

QUOTE(Thunderin @ May 31, 2006 -> 12:38 AM)

Fields strikes out 31% of the time he goes to the dish. 52ks already.

How is that going to translate to the majors.

I've thought about it too.

This is what causes strokes. :P

I still don't see where you know that Kenny is thinking about moving a AAA 3B straight to LF in the bigs and moving possibly the worst LF in baseball to CF.

Could you maybe clue the rest of us in.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 31, 2006 -> 12:41 AM)
Fields strikes out 31% of the time he goes to the dish. 52ks already.

How is that going to translate to the majors.

I think the .329 average. the 9HRs, the 29RBI's, the .598 slugging %, the 1.021 OB% and the 98TB will translate alot better to the majors than Anderson's numbers.

QUOTE(Thunderin @ May 30, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
I dont think it can be bad. He was a quarterback in college.

Well he has a cannon but accuracy is a big question mark. He made throws that many third baseman do not make but I also seen him make some very wild throws on routine plays. Bottom line he has a strong arm but in my opinion does not have OF accuracy.

On another note, Ryan Sweeney only has 24ks in 135Abs. Or 17% of the time. His swing probably projects more as being not overmatched like the long looping swings that we have brought up before.

But then again, he is another left handed bat and we are trying to get more right handed in our lineup.

QUOTE(Thunderin @ May 31, 2006 -> 12:44 AM)
I think the .329 average. the 9HRs, the 29RBI's, the .598 slugging %, the 1.021 OB% and the 98TB will translate alot better to the majors than Anderson's numbers.

I hope he could be another Thome eventually, but he just doesn't fit right now. If they were to call him up and he succeeds, I'd love it, but I don't see him up at all.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 30, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
I still don't see where you know that Kenny is thinking about moving a AAA 3B straight to LF in the bigs and moving possibly the worst LF in baseball to CF.

Could you maybe clue the rest of us in.

Garret Anderson and Ramirez are worse, but Pods easily ranks among the worse 5 starting left fielders in baseball with the glove.

Here are some names:

Mike Cameron (Pads would probably be willing to move him later on)

Torri Hunter (Twins may find themselves far enough out of contention that they would deal to a divisional foe if the price were right)

Darrin Erstad (Angels are playing better as of late, but if the A's get rolling the Angels may be out of contention; plus they need to be getting McPherson/Figgins/Morales all AB's and the only way to do that is to have Erstie on the bench)

All 3 of these guys have larger contracts and two of them may come relatively cheap (Hunter would not). None of them are stars and two have checkered pasts in terms of injuries (Erstad and Cameron) but all 3 have been upper echelon defensive players at one point in there careers (erstad isn't anymore, but he isn't terrible either) plus he would be a pretty nice 9 hole hitter in terms of his slap hitting ability.

I know Erstad's deal is up and I think Cameron becomes a FA relatively soon as well and so does Hunter (end of this year). If we could take on Erstad or Cameron's contracts while only giving up 1 or two prospects (Sean Tracey type of prospect plus a guy like Wes Whisler who I consider a joke) and it may be worth it. We would be able to hold onto Anderson and let him get relaxed in AAA and hopefully come up later on in the year as a defensive replacement and groom him for the job next season (he's too good defensively and has too many offensive tools to give up in a deal).

Getting Erstie or Cameron would be a wise move down the stretch if Anderson doesn't figure things out, especially since it would allow Mack to go back to filling in all over the field (making us more deep).

Do you care at all about defense?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
The worst LF in baseball backs up Pods.

Believeit or not, I wouldn't mind a Timo-like player on the team this year instead of Gload. Not Timo, but Timo-ish, if you understand.

And that is why I am stressing, get a Ryan Church, get a Corey Hart, get a Chris Deniforia who would actually be used more than Ross Gload, who's just a waste of a roster space right now.

Then at least if you send Anderson down to AAA, you don't have to move Scott Podsednik over to CF, or let Machowiak play there everyday.

Brian hit .295 in AAA last year with a .469SLG% and a .829 OPS over the course of an entire season. He struck out at a lower rate than Fields with a 25% rate of King last year.

So he almost hit 300, he had a good slugging percentage, he k'd less than fields will this year. And look at him now, overmatched. Yet you think that Fields coming up will solve all, why again.

Fields will come up, and will be overmatched.