Its Time For The Josh Fields Era To Begin...........

Thunderin'Thome

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
Dude. Shut up.

In 2003, the White Sox played Carl Everett in CF over Aaron Rowand. Therefore, using your logic, Carl Everett is the best centerfielder in baseball.

Flaw in your argument...they were playing Everett while sitting Rowand, thus getting Everett's bat in the lineup. If Clark was starting at the same time as Podsednik, that means Podsednik was chosen to be in CF while both of their bats were in the lineup. Everett's bat and lack of defense were being compared to Rowand's defense and lack of bat. Podsednik and Clark had that positioning chosen based on defense alone.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
In 2003, the White Sox played Carl Everett in CF over Aaron Rowand. Therefore, using your logic, Carl Everett is the best centerfielder in baseball.

Um, Everett was hitting back then back then. Rowand wasn't. What advantage did Brady Freaking Clark have over Pods?

Dude. Shut up

Dude. Grow up. :wacko:

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
I find it amusing that Pods is supposedly the worst defensive CF ever, but still played there for two seasons and beat out Brady Clark, who has been playing there over the past two years. I guess that makes Clark worse than awful, huh? I wonder why he's still in the majors, since he has no power, little speed, and can barely hit for average.

God, it's this Milwaukee Brewers crap over and over and over again. He has played over 150 games in a Sox uniform. We have had plenty of opportunities to judge is defensive capabilities, and the guy just flat out sucks. HE SUCKS.

But you keep on keepin' on, despite the fact that damn near everyone is trying to tell you otherwise. I'm starting to think that you're of German descent. I'm like 75% German, and quite a few of my family members are highly intelligent, egotistical snobs who will never concede that they are wrong, no matter how stupid the argument is.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
Flaw in your argument...they were playing Everett while sitting Rowand, thus getting Everett's bat in the lineup. If Clark was starting at the same time as Podsednik, that means Podsednik was chosen to be in CF while both of their bats were in the lineup. Everett's bat and lack of defense were being compared to Rowand's defense and lack of bat. Podsednik and Clark had that positioning chosen based on defense alone.

:cheers

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
Um, Everett was hitting back then back then. Rowand wasn't. What advantage did Brady Freaking Clark have over Pods?

Dude. Grow up. :wacko:

Rowand hit like a banshee once he came off the DL. He hit .361/.410/.667 from the time he came off the DL until Everett was acquired, and .381/.408/.629 until the end of the season. But yeah, he wasn't hitting.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
Rowand hit like a banshee once he came off the DL. He hit .361/.410/.667 from the time he came off the DL until Everett was acquired, and .381/.408/.629 until the end of the season. But yeah, he wasn't hitting.

So are you arguing that Everett played Center Field because of his defense, or that Ned Yost is roughly as stupid as Jerry Manuel?

Like I said, hes not a bad outfielder.....there were clips of him when he played CF with the Brewers with him making good reads and great catches on MLB.com, but ever since he got traded they deleted those clips.

Scouting Report:

Baserunning & Defense

Speed is Podsednik's game-he's among the fastest guys in baseball. He's a reliable, and sometimes spectacular, center fielder, covering the considerable gap between Jenkins in left and the team's 2004 right-field combo of Brady Clark and Ben Grieve. Podsednik also throws well.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/playerScouting?categoryId=85346

I believe these scouts are much better than any of us.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)

Rowand hit .287/.327/.452 in '03, while Everett hit .301/.377/.473 with the Sox that year.

QUOTE(Thunderin @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
He's a reliable, and sometimes spectacular, center fielder, covering the considerable gap between Jenkins in left and the team's 2004 right-field combo of Brady Clark and Ben Grieve. Podsednik also throws well.

That's not an accurate report. But he's not absolutely horrible at the position, either.

QUOTE(Thunderin @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
Like I said, hes not a bad outfielder.....there were clips of him when he played CF with the Brewers with him making good reads and great catches on MLB.com, but ever since he got traded they deleted those clips.

Scouting Report:

Baserunning & Defense

Speed is Podsednik's game-he's among the fastest guys in baseball. He's a reliable, and sometimes spectacular, center fielder, covering the considerable gap between Jenkins in left and the team's 2004 right-field combo of Brady Clark and Ben Grieve. Podsednik also throws well.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/playerScouting?categoryId=85346

I believe these scouts are much better than any of us.

Oh Jesus. Come on man, the fact that the last sentence says he throws well should pretty much have discouraged you from posting that crap as gospel.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)
Oh Jesus. Come on man, the fact that the last sentence says he throws well should pretty much have discouraged you from posting that crap as gospel.

Amen.

So... Mariotti is an expert, too, because he writes? :rolly

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Um, OK, so Pods can't play RF because of his lack of arm strength, but it's OK for him to play LF?

Um, that's exactly right. You put your OF with the best arm in RF because of the length of the throw to 3B. You put your weakest throwing OF in LF because he doesn't have to make the long throw from there. I thought everyone knew this.

That's why Vlad and Ichiro play RF and Rondell White and Carlos Lee play LF. Brady Clark has superior arm strength (not even close really) so he played RF. Podsednik in right would have been an absolute joke, you need some arm strength in order to hold the runner to one base and keep players off of third.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
Um, that's exactly right. You put your OF with the best arm in RF because of the length of the throw to 3B. You put your weakest throwing OF in LF because he doesn't have to make the long throw from there. I thought everyone knew this.

That's why Vlad...

That's nice in theory, but having a strong arm doesn't mean crap if you can't throw the ball accurately. Opposing teams aren't afraid to run on Vlad because he can't hit the broad side of a barn. Back in his prime, Sammy Steroids was another example of a strong-arm-but-nothing-else RF.

If arm strength in RF meant everything, why is former left-fielder Geoff Jenkins playing there? And if he can play the position reasonably well, why didn't Yost didn't stick Pods in LF and Clark in CF?

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
That's nice in theory, but having a strong arm doesn't mean crap if you can't throw the ball accurately. Opposing teams aren't afraid to run on Vlad because he can't hit the broad side of a barn. Back in his prime, Sammy Steroids was another example of a strong-arm-but-nothing-else RF.

If arm strength in RF meant everything, why is former left-fielder Geoff Jenkins playing there? And if he can play the position reasonably well, why didn't Yost didn't stick Pods in LF and Clark in CF?

I'm simply telling you why Pods was in CF and not in RF, I'm not sure why you're trying to debate anything here. Pods has a much weaker and less accurate arm than Clark. Brady has a strong accurate arm. Podsednik in RF with his tools would be an absolute disaster, that's why Clark stayed in RF and then moved to CF when they traded Podsednik.

Clark is the superior RF to Jenkins but neither Jenkins nor Lee can play CF so Clark was forced to move to CF.

After all this rambling I can sum it up like this.

The only way they could field a decent OF was to put their best OF in RF and the only one out of Jenkins and Pods who could play CF was Pods because of his speed so he played there.

In all, Pods is mediocre in CF and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone familiar with his history to tell you otherwise.

Jenkins cannot play RF reasonably well, he's bad out there, real bad but he's better than Carlos Lee. Jenkins in RF with Pods in LF and Clark in CF would have wasted the arm of Clark and weakened their overall OF defense by not having the player with the best arm in RF.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
In all, Pods is mediocre in CF and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone familiar with his history to tell you otherwise.

Saying that Pods in "mediocre" in CF is almost giving him too much credit. I've already said that he's a below-average CF, which is a big difference from those that say that he can't play the position at all.

Jenkins cannot play RF reasonably well, he's bad out there, real bad but he's better than Carlos Lee. Jenkins in RF with Pods in LF and Clark in CF would have wasted the arm of Clark and weakened their overall OF defense by not having the player with the best arm in RF.

Having the player with the strongest arm in RF isn't the most important thing. The throw to 3rd is most important when a player is tagging from 2nd. Having a CF with a strong enough arm to stop a player from tagging from 3rd and scoring a run is just as important. On the other hand, when a guy tries to stretch a double to right into a triple, the RF isn't going to throw him out on a one-hopper from deep RF. The strengh of the cut-off man's arm is just as important in that scenario.

But, yes, I agree that Pods would not have been a good RF. Given how few balls are hit there, it'd be a waste of his range anyway.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 08:07 PM)
Having the player with the strongest arm in RF isn't the most important thing. The throw to 3rd is most important when a player is tagging from 2nd. Having a CF with a strong enough arm to stop a player from tagging from 3rd and scoring a run is just as important. On the other hand, when a guy tries to stretch a double to right into a triple, the RF isn't going to throw him out on a one-hopper from deep RF. The strengh of the cut-off man's arm is just as important in that scenario.

But, yes, I agree that Pods would not have been a good RF. Given how few balls are hit there, it'd be a waste of his range anyway.

Then why isn't Pierre playing LF with Murton in RF and Jones in CF for the Cubs? Jones has played a good amount of CF and has good range with a very strong arm which is for the most part, very accurate. Pierre has NO arm to speak of so he should be in LF with the 2nd best arm of Murton in RF.

It's been a baseball rule for as long as I can remembr that your OF with the best arm plays RF, it's just the way it is.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 06:11 PM)
Then why isn't Pierre playing LF with Murton in RF and Jones in CF for the Cubs? Jones has played a good amount of CF and has good range with a very strong arm which is for the most part, very accurate. Pierre has NO arm to speak of so he should be in LF with the 2nd best arm of Murton in RF.

It's been a baseball rule for as long as I can remembr that your OF with the best arm plays RF, it's just the way it is.

Pierre is playing CF because he has a ton of range. IIRC, Jones mostly played LF with some RF in MIN. I could see him playing CF, although it'd probably take him some time to adjust (that Pierre wouldn't need). I don't know anything about Murton, so I can't answer the rest of your question.

Agreed that a strong arm in RF is desirable, but it's not he only thing that needs to be considered. If I were a manager, I'd put my outfielder with the best combination of strong arm/weak range in RF and the guy with the best combination of good range/strong arm in CF.