Its Time For The Josh Fields Era To Begin...........

Thunderin'Thome

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 31, 2006 -> 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pat Gillick wants to put more money into his starting pitching, and get away from the "all or nothing" approach in terms of their hitters (think us in 2004). There were big rumors yesterday about a 3 way b/w the Phils, Yanks and Marlins where the Phils would get Willis, Yanks Burrell, and Marlins cash and prospects.

How does Juan Uribe have discipline problems might I add? Consider the lines Pods and Rollins are putting up right now;

Pods - .281/.374/.409

Rollins - .255/.317/.394 (I expect this will definitely improve as the season continues though)

Not to mention, Philly gets out of the 4 year 36M deal Rollins was signed to, while Uribe only makes about 4M next season and Pods is arbitration eligible IIRC.

As a bullpen arm, how does Arthur Rhodes or Aaron Fultz sound for you?

I'd say there's little chance Ryan Sweeney could hit .280 right now in the major leagues, unless he pulls a Jeff Francouer on us.

Your joking right...

Have you even seen him freaken play? Even when he's hot his swing has a bigger hole then the freaken' grand canyon in it. Combine that with the fact that he has the same off season work out program as Bobby Jenks and you have a major problem on your hands. There isn't anyway in hell the Philles would take this deal. They would want more then likely a package surrounding BMAC, Fields, Sweeney, or whatever other prospects we could offer... But it is fun to play it on your XBOX...

Also Sweeney has a much better chance of hitting .280 then anyone else in our minors right now just due to the fact that he has a nice short compact swing.

Edited by Jeckle2000

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 31, 2006 -> 08:07 AM)
How does Juan Uribe have discipline problems might I add?

How does he have discipline problems? Assuming he meant at the plate. Well, let's take into consideration his walk total. In 156 AB this year, Uribe has 6 walks. 6... walks.. or 1 walk every 26 AB's. He has one walk in the entire month of May. His OBP is a laugher at .247 (lower than even BA's OBP of .271), and he swings way too much at the first pitch, and USUALLY makes an out. I can remember atleast 2 occasions where he has hit into a DP on the first pitch, and this is just in the last couple of weeks. He needs to learn to take a pitch, and hey, maybe that will lead to some walks.

Other than that, I see no discipline problems.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 31, 2006 -> 08:07 AM)
I'd say there's little chance Ryan Sweeney could hit .280 right now in the major leagues, unless he pulls a Jeff Francouer on us.

Well, I'm not big into following the minor league teams, so I just have to take his word for it that Sweeney could hit .280. I just don't think BA has any chance to get to 20 homers.

Edited by TitoMB345

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Your joking right...

Have you even seen him freaken play? Even when he's hot his swing has a bigger hole then the freaken' grand canyon in it. Combine that with the fact that he has the same off season work out program as Bobby Jenks and you have a major problem on your hands. There isn't anyway in hell the Philles would take this deal. They would want more then likely a package surrounding BMAC, Fields, Sweeney, or whatever other prospects we could offer... But it is fun to play it on your XBOX...

How does a bad swing = bad discipline?

There were rumors of him being overweight coming into last season, but IIRC, I didn't hear anything of the same coming into ST this season.

Why would you give up Brandon McCarthy a potential starter on the majority of major league ballclubs, plus your 2 best hitting prospects in AAA, for a SS who is probably overpaid and has a subpar OBP?

Being a fan favorite doesn't increase your value. That didn't help Aaron Rowand when he was shifted out as part of the package for Jim Thome

EDIT: On the bad swing thing, I just read Timo's post. I probably mis-interpreted Jeckle's statement, regarding Uribe's discipline. I thought it was in regard to his general regard in the clubhouse not his plate discipline.

I present game 2 of the World Series as evidence why Pods can not play centerfield. In the ninth inning, when Jenks gave up the hit to left, any decent armed left fielder would have gunned down the second guy trying to score. But girly arm could barely get the ball there, and they tied the game. I can't imagine having that limp noodle throwing from center. Pods plays left, end of story.

As for Anderson, his defense should keep him in the lineup. I'm more interested in seeing more Ozuna and Cintron at short, instead of Uribe. Both play good defense over there, and offer a better bat. Plus Uribe continues to be anti-clutch.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 31, 2006 -> 08:59 AM)
You do realize that their have been successful outfielders in the majors without power... It could be that he's just not going to be a power hitter... I'd rather have Sweeney hitting close to .280 with no homers then BA at .180 with 20 homers...

Sweeney would NEVER hit .280 in the majors this year, stop imagining things. Sweeney has a slugging percentage of .393 in the minor league right now.. I don't even want to think about what it would be in the majors. Give him time in the minors to develop his power and to come around.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:05 AM)
I would too. And when you consider that BA probably wont even get to 20 homers by the end of the year, it looks even better to me.

Sweeney would hit probably .220 in the bigs.. not .280

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 31, 2006 -> 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How does a bad swing = bad discipline?

There were rumors of him being overweight coming into last season, but IIRC, I didn't hear anything of the same coming into ST this season.

Why would you give up Brandon McCarthy a potential starter on the majority of major league ballclubs, plus your 2 best hitting prospects in AAA, for a SS who is probably overpaid and has a subpar OBP?

Being a fan favorite doesn't increase your value. That didn't help Aaron Rowand when he was shifted out as part of the package for Jim Thome

EDIT: On the bad swing thing, I just read Timo's post. I probably mis-interpreted Jeckle's statement, regarding Uribe's discipline. I thought it was in regard to his general regard in the clubhouse not his plate discipline.

I never advocated sending anyone to Philly for Rollins... I'm just trying to give you a more reasonable assessment of what it would take... He's still a fan favorite up there and as such still sells tickets...

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
Like I said, I just went on the assumption that what the guy said could be right. I don't follow the minor leaguers at all.

Here's a hint: never assume what Jeckle says is true, since it hardly ever is :P

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)
Well, I'm not big into following the minor league teams, so I just have to take his word for it that Sweeney could hit .280. I just don't think BA has any chance to get to 20 homers.

No way is BA going to hit 20 HR's this season. But if he can get up to an OBP of just over .300 I'll be happy. The guy can actually take a walk, which is something a lot of hitters don't do, besides Thome and Pods.

Anderson hit .295 in AAA last season. Currently Sweeney is hitting .300, which is still pretty good, but Charlotte is a big hitting park as well. He needs more time, but I've got no doubt he'll be a .280 hitter AT LEAST in the future. He's got an excellent swing.

QUOTE(Felix @ May 31, 2006 -> 07:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sweeney would NEVER hit .280 in the majors this year, stop imagining things. Sweeney has a slugging percentage of .393 in the minor league right now.. I don't even want to think about what it would be in the majors. Give him time in the minors to develop his power and to come around.

Sweeney would hit probably .220 in the bigs.. not .280

I doubt it... Like I said he has a better swing then BA and thus would hit about .250 on the low end. Of course even .220 is a massive improvement over BA....

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
I doubt it... Like I said he has a better swing then BA and thus would hit about .250 on the low end. Of course even .220 is a massive improvement over BA....

.220 with worse defense than Anderson on a team that needs defense more than it needs offense. The offense is fine this year, even with Anderson and Uribe hitting like crap. I'd rather their defense instead of the SLIGHT upgrade that Sweeney would possibly add (although I don't think he would be an upgrade at all).

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
I never advocated sending anyone to Philly for Rollins... I'm just trying to give you a more reasonable assessment of what it would take... He's still a fan favorite up there and as such still sells tickets...

You said it would more likely take a package of B-Mac, Sweeney and Fields to get Rollins didn't you?

And how much does being a fan favorite increase your value? It didn't for Aaron Rowand here. Emotions like that shouldn't come into it when you are trying to improve your ballclub.

I'm sure Philly fans would just rather support a team that could actually get into the playoffs.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
Currently Sweeney is hitting .300, which is still pretty good, but Charlotte is a big hitting park as well. He needs more time, but I've got no doubt he'll be a .280 hitter AT LEAST in the future. He's got an excellent swing.

And yet Sweeney still has a .395 SLG. He's not ready.

QUOTE(Felix @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)
And yet Sweeney still has a .395 SLG. He's not ready.

7 extra base hits in 140 AB's.

I'd imagine Sweeney's and Anderson's OPS would actually be quite similar even if Sweeney did hit around .220-.230, just because of that lack of power.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 31, 2006 -> 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure Philly fans would just rather support a team that could actually get into the playoffs.

If you think that Uribe and Pods are going to get Philly into the playoffs then your out of your mind...

Also in regards to Pods I hate to bring back such a dumbass phrase but where would he play?

You have Burrell in LF, Rowand in CF... and RF isn't even worth mentioning... They don't have a DH... so as I said this would go down as one of the most dumbass trades in Philly's history if they actually did it...

Ok, let's put this one to rest. BA is staying put for awhile. Mackoviak will get more playing time than planned on but BA is staying put. There are no immediate minor league answers. Fields will be lucky to make the roster in 2007 let alone this season. Sweeney too.

We have the second best record in baseball. Everyone breathe.

Are there people out there who actually think we might trade Pods? Get your heads out of your asses!!! Pods is the straw that stirs the drink. There is no way Ozzie and KW would risk this team becoming the same slow-footed homerun plodding team we were in 2001-2004.

I am very happy with the second best record in baseball right now. I just can't stand the argument that we don't need Uribe and Anderson to produce Offensively because Iguchi, Thome, Konerko, Dye, AJ, etc....

Last Nights game for example- Gooch had an off night. They took Thome out of the game by walking him and Konerko didn't do anything. AJ had a day off because of the tough lefty. So we have trouble scoring runs because the bottom of our order is completely worthless right now. Yes we have the second best record right now. Yes we're only 1.5 out of first. But think where we could be if we got some production out of our 8 and 9 spots.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:07 AM)
Ok, let's put this one to rest. BA is staying put for awhile. Mackoviak will get more playing time than planned on but BA is staying put. There are no immediate minor league answers. Fields will be lucky to make the roster in 2007 let alone this season. Sweeney too.

We have the second best record in baseball. Everyone breathe.

^^^^^^^^^^^

but im sure the xbox trades will still keep flowing in.

How about Lew Ford? He's struggled a bit this year, but we all know he's a tough out and a very good defensive player. The Twins don't have much need for him now, as they're playing Kubel in the outfield, and Stewart will be off the DL soon.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)
How about Lew Ford? He's struggled a bit this year, but we all know he's a tough out and a very good defensive player. The Twins don't have much need for him now, as they're playing Kubel in the outfield, and Stewart will be off the DL soon.

Lew Ford for what?

QUOTE(fathom @ May 31, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)

I wouldn't mind Lew Ford, but I don't think that sort of deal would ever happen.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)

I highly doubt that the Twins would be willing to help us out...at least not without us paying a heavy price.