Its Time For The Josh Fields Era To Begin...........

Thunderin'Thome

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ May 31, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
I highly doubt that the Twins would be willing to help us out...at least not without us paying a heavy price.

Like you said, I think every team in baseball will listen to a trade offer from KW. KW is definitely not afraid to offer some of his top talent in a trade. I would hope he wouldn't have to give up one of our top 5 guys for someone like him though.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
Like you said, I think every team in baseball will listen to a trade offer from KW. KW is definitely not afraid to offer some of his top talent in a trade. I would hope he wouldn't have to give up one of our top 5 guys for someone like him though.

Kenny will take a call or make a call with anybody. That much is true. But for the life of me, I can't remember the last time two division rivals made a trade in the thick of a pennant race. If you know of one in recent memory, I'd like to know.

QUOTE(Thunderin @ May 30, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
I have seen highlights of Pods playing center with the Brewers. And he made some decent catches. I think you guys seriously undeerate him.

They do, but he's really not the best choice to play CF... especially after not playing the position regularly since '04. Mackowiak may even be a better CF.

IMO, the best thing to do right now is to platoon Anderson and Mackowiak. When we have a lead late in the game, BA goes in as a defensive sub. When we don't, Mack plays.

QUOTE(Felix @ May 31, 2006 -> 08:17 AM)
Sweeney would NEVER hit .280 in the majors this year, stop imagining things. Sweeney has a slugging percentage of .393 in the minor league right now.. I don't even want to think about what it would be in the majors. Give him time in the minors to develop his power and to come around.

Sweeney would hit probably .220 in the bigs.. not .280

Uh oh, break out the 18-year-old minor league expert brigade to trot out drivel when they have no clue what they're talking about. While I'm not for bringing up Sweeney, his SLG% doesn't translate into BA, so I have no idea what logic you're trying to use. And to whoever made the quip about Sweeney playing in a bandbox, the majority of his hits are singles, so it's not like those are going to disappear if he gets promoted.

QUOTE(Thunderin @ May 31, 2006 -> 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Josh Fields is batting .326 with eight home runs and 23 RBIs in his first 39 games with Triple-A Charlotte. He has been playing third, but that could change if he continues to develop hitting as quickly as he has in his first seven weeks with the Knights.

Fields could switch to the outfield.

"We might have to consider this for Fields, simply because Joe is at third base, and Joe is the best in the business," general manager Ken Williams said....

"[Fields] is a good athlete," Williams said of the former Oklahoma State quarterback. "… We may be forced [to switch his position] because Josh is coming, and he's coming fast."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* So Fields would come up and move to LF.

* Podsdnik would move back to CF (his natural position)

* Then Send Anderson to AAA so he can idk, "find himself".

I think its a good idea. :gosox3:

This would kill our defense. Pods has no arm and gets terrible jumps/reads on fly balls. No way do I want him in CF.

I would much rather keep Mac in CF if Anderson gets sent down. Either that or go get a veteran to play CF if we are that concerned about it. Defense must be first for the CF position.

I'll wager right now that if someone could create an alternate universe where Cliff Politte of 06 was pitching like Cliff Politte of 05, none of these Anderson threads would exist. Our problem right now still remains starting pitchers wetting the bed, and a bullpen with inconsistent right handed setup guys.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
Our problems have nothing to do with the absense of Aaron Rowand.

The prospect of Field's offensive abilties is tempting. However, the memories of Carlos Lee's defense are burned too deeply in my mind to want Josh as our left fielder.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
Our problems have nothing to do with the absense of Aaron Rowand.

What are these problems you speak of?

Does everyone understand that we are going to lose over 60 games this year most likely?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)

Does everyone understand that we are going to lose over 60 games this year most likely?

Problem is...at the current rate, 40-50 of those losses are going to be due to bad fundamental baseball.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)

Anyone who has watched Clifford, Cotts, McCarthy and the rest at times this year should know that we have some problems in the pen. Cliff is never going to match what he did last year and Cotts more than likely won't this year either, that's a problem. Cliff was big for this team last year and so far this season he has been just horrid, he looks like he has zero confidence right now.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
Anyone who has watched Clifford, Cotts, McCarthy and the rest at times this year should know that we have some problems in the pen. Cliff is never going to match what he did last year and Cotts more than likely won't this year either, that's a problem. Cliff was big for this team last year and so far this season he has been just horrid, he looks like he has zero confidence right now.

We have no righty set-up man. It's a stunning development that no one saw coming this offseason. :bang

It was a satire.

Gotchya. My sarcasm meter is a little off today.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)

Hey, I'm with you man. Count me among those who aren't that concerned right now. Hell, I'm still sticking by Anderson and think a platoon at CF is probably the best option right now. But with that said, being the nitpickers that some of us are, there are some cracks in the armor that should be addressed.

Overall though, I don't think there is much to worry about, at least compared to other teams. I wouldn't trade our roster for any team in the bigs.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)

What did the pen do last night to make everyone want to get rid of Anderson and bring up a rookie who has never played the OF.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
Problem is...at the current rate, 40-50 of those losses are going to be due to bad fundamental baseball.

Not hitting the ball isnt exactly bad fundamentals. If those guys would have connected on their swings in the 9th, we would have been saying it was the best fundamentally sound game all year. s***, Cintron taking 2nd base was about as good as it gets after a failed attempt at moving the runner over.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
What did the pen do last night to make everyone want to get rid of Anderson and bring up a rookie who has never played the OF.

The pen was fine last night, people want to get rid of Anderson because there has already been talk of him going down for a few days now, which does not appear to be true and he is currently being platooned in centerfield. He had another bad offensive night yesterday and the team lost so everyone freaks out.

I doubt many people will deny that the bullpen is weak right now, Thornton was god like last night but the rest of the bullpen is nowhere near where he is right now.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
Not hitting the ball isnt exactly bad fundamentals. If those guys would have connected on their swings in the 9th, we would have been saying it was the best fundamentally sound game all year. s***, Cintron taking 2nd base was about as good as it gets after a failed attempt at moving the runner over.

A lot of people have pointed to Iguchi's failed bunt attempt as a big turning point in the game. We're giving up a lot of outs on bunt attempts this season without successfully advancing the runners.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
The pen was fine last night, people want to get rid of Anderson because there has already been talk of him going down for a few days now, which does not appear to be true and he is currently being platooned in centerfield. He had another bad offensive night yesterday and the team lost so everyone freaks out.

I doubt many people will deny that the bullpen is weak right now, Thornton was god like last night but the rest of the bullpen is nowhere near where he is right now.

Well look at Polite's numbers, im sure he will end the season around his career avg. BMAC is serviceable as a righty, and Jenks is lights out. Thornton is better than Marte was, Cotts will regress a bit, which is expected, and Nelson is old, but still needs some work to reach what he could do. Im not really that worried about the pen.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
A lot of people have pointed to Iguchi's failed bunt attempt as a big turning point in the game. We're giving up a lot of outs on bunt attempts this season without successfully advancing the runners.

Thats baseball though. Sometimes you get the breaks, sometimes you dont. He had a bad game, so did Konerko. Plus that was the best I have seen us against CC in quite some time.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
Thats baseball though. Sometimes you get the breaks, sometimes you dont. He had a bad game, so did Konerko. Plus that was the best I have seen us against CC in quite some time.

We definitely put ourselves into good hitting situations last night. I haven't seen our hitters consistently miss as many good pitches to hit in a game as I did in last night's game. As you said, that's baseball.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
Well look at Polite's numbers, im sure he will end the season around his career avg. BMAC is serviceable as a righty, and Jenks is lights out. Thornton is better than Marte was, Cotts will regress a bit, which is expected, and Nelson is old, but still needs some work to reach what he could do. Im not really that worried about the pen.

I would say that our biggest worry right now should be CF. Mackowiak's been hitting well recently, but his defense has also potentially cost us a couple of games. Anderson is just pathetic at the plate, and we can't keep having such a black hole at the bottom of the order.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)

For Politte to end the season around his career numbers, he'd have to give up 10 runs the rest of the year and pitch over 30 innings. That works out to an ERA of about 3 for the rest of the year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)

Losses certainly magnify things. A couple of two out hits last night and this thread doesn't even exist.

And yes, the bullpen certainly is our most glaring weakness. Although, I'm groing increasingly more confident in McCarthy, Cotts, Thornton and Jenks. I'm not sold on them yet, but I've seen improvements in the past couple weeks. Politte, on the other hand, needs to grow a pair of balls. Those two hits he gave up last night were incredibly predictable. Any team with a decent scouting report will hit the s*** out of Politte right now.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
For Politte to end the season around his career numbers, he'd have to give up 10 runs the rest of the year and pitch over 30 innings. That works out to an ERA of about 3 for the rest of the year.

Im sure he will be around his career numbers.

Also, Thornton doesnt need to just be a LOOGY. He can basically pitch to RH and LH batters. If Polite is struggling, its obvious Ozzie has the confidence in Matt to put him out there against anyone.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)

Not to mention Konerko could have tagged out a baserunner before Perraltas HR and missed.