Its Time For The Josh Fields Era To Begin...........

Thunderin'Thome

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:59 PM)
If you think that Uribe and Pods are going to get Philly into the playoffs then your out of your mind...

Also in regards to Pods I hate to bring back such a dumbass phrase but where would he play?

You have Burrell in LF, Rowand in CF... and RF isn't even worth mentioning... They don't have a DH... so as I said this would go down as one of the most dumbass trades in Philly's history if they actually did it...

Of course Uribe and Pods alone wouldn't get Philly into the playoffs. However, they would have more money to spend on SP now.

If you saw what I said before, the Phils have been shopping Burrell for the majority of the season, because they want to go away from the all or nothing approach at the plate. Pods would play LF and Uribe SS, if they moved Burrell and Rollins to dump salary, to help beef up their pitching.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 31, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
Sticking him in lf right now would be a bad idea.

Maybe we should trade either Fields or Crede in a blockbuster.

Pick one and hope for Kenny magic.

Maybe it's time for a White Flag trade.

We'll never catch Detroit with the team we've got.

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 31, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
Sticking him in lf right now would be a bad idea.

Maybe we should trade either Fields or Crede in a blockbuster.

Pick one and hope for Kenny magic.

Surely your kidding.....

Podsednik is not a bad outfielder. I think hes made a couple of bad plays and you guys have jumped all over him. Show me video of him being a bad outfielder. He would be a suitable CF with tons of speed and can cover alot of ground.

You guys need to get off the Podsednik hate wagon.

QUOTE(Thunderin @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
Surely your kidding.....

Podsednik is not a bad outfielder. I think hes made a couple of bad plays and you guys have jumped all over him. Show me video of him being a bad outfielder. He would be a suitable CF with tons of speed and can cover alot of ground.

Podsednik does not get good reads in the OF. If you stick him in CF, he wouldn't be able to pick up the ball quite a few times, until it's too late. At least in LF, he hides his deficiencies on that regard more.

Also he's got a pretty bad arm, compared to Brian Anderson.

I'm guessing it's already been said in 11 pages, but I'm not going through all that. Yeah, agree, dumb idea.

Lets try to convert a third basemen into an outfielder on the big league level for a team looking for a World Championship, uhhh no. What about when he only has 1 hit or no hits in 2 games and everyone will be calling for his and Ozzie's head!

There's a reason Pods is left, he has speed, but that doesn't translate to a good defender. Ask any Brewers fan, he was not good in center. He's better than Pablo (duh), but don't know how he'd compare to Mackowiak, wouldn't come close to Anderson. Plus that arm...no, please, no no!

I don't see how we can keep dissing Anderson when he's a rookie who can't get regular playing time. Hard for anyone to hit when you're not a regular, let alone a rookie who gets to face Sabathia, Santana, etc. Anderson's situation reminds me a lot of Crede's, who had been blasted for years even though he always brought the leather. They stuck him low in the order, let him do his thing, worked with him, let him gain some experience, and now he's a Sox legend and is putting up good numbers.

I know, it's an iffy situation with Mackowiak having better offensive numbers and having the clutch HR the other week, and I could see sending Brain down as the only way for him to get regular ABs, but definately a 'no' on the Fields proposal. Plus, I don't like Mackowiak's defense (already cost us one game). In a lineup with Thome, Konerko, Dye, AJ, Crede all doing great, and pitching being iffy, I can concede the offense we lose with Brian (which I think would get better if he played more regularly) and his defense.

Edited by 3 BeWareTheNewSox 5

QUOTE(Thunderin @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
Surely your kidding.....

Show me video of him getting a good read in centerfield first.

QUOTE(Thunderin @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
Surely your kidding.....

Surely you havent even seen him play CF before. He was in baseball before he was on the sox. Check it out.

QUOTE(Thunderin @ May 31, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)

Pods is a below-average outfielder. He's decent in LF and could play CF competently on a temporary basis, but he's not a good long-term CF.

He misplayed a few balls in CF last year and people here stuck him with the "he sucks" tag. We're seeing the same thing now with Mackowiak (who rarely plays CF) and Ozuna (who rarely even plays). In other words, it's typical Soxtalk.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
He misplayed a few balls in CF last year and people here stuck him with the "he sucks" tag. We're seeing the same thing now with Mackowiak (who rarely plays CF) and Ozuna (who rarely even plays). In other words, it's typical Soxtalk.

Every scouting report from Milwaukee fans said that Pods absolutely sucked in CF. Not only that, but playing CF just increases the chances of him hurting himself. I'm almost positive that he hurt his groin last season in one of his rare CF appearances.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 08:19 AM)
Every scouting report from Milwaukee fans said that Pods absolutely sucked in CF. Not only that, but playing CF just increases the chances of him hurting himself. I'm almost positive that he hurt his groin last season in one of his rare CF appearances.

Right, and Brewers fans are credible scouts. Just like the "scouts" here at Soxtalk. :rolly

If Pods were incapable of playing the position, he would've been moved to one of the corners, rather than play CF for two straight years. Hell, Brady Clark moved over to CF last season after playing 138 games in RF in '04. Hell, even Manny Ramirez, who is an absolute butcher in LF, can play the position competently enough that he's not a liability.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
Right, and Brewers fans are credible scouts. Just like the "scouts" here at Soxtalk. :rolly

If Pods were incapable of playing the position, he would've been moved to one of the corners, rather than play CF for two straight years. Hell, Brady Clark moved over to CF last season after playing 138 games in RF in '04. Hell, even Manny Ramirez, who is an absolute butcher in LF, can play the position competently enough that he's not a liability.

I fixed that for you.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)

I honestly don't think this should be in green. When legitimate posters on soxtalk make an observation about a player's ability, they're usually pretty well-informed. We see these players perform every single night, and we're able to form our opinion that way. And the reason that butchers in the outfield are able to play LF is that it's the easiest position in baseball. That's why guys like Manny, Pods, Adam Dunn, and C. Lee are out there. Also, if you put Pods in CF, every single to center is going to allow the runner to go from first to third.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
I honestly don't think this should be in green. When legitimate posters on soxtalk make an observation about a player's ability, they're usually pretty well-informed. We see these players perform every single night, and we're able to form our opinion that way.

Sure, and for every legitimate post here, there are five or ten extremist, reactionary posts. Players get thrown under the bus here (and I'm assuming most other baseball MBs) whenever they make a mistake. When Ozuna misplayed a fly ball in LF in Kansas City, people here wanted him banned from the outfield. Nevermind the fact that it was extremely windy that evening. Nevermind the fact that Ozuna hardly ever plays at all. Off with his head! When Anderson failed to produce at the plate, people here wanted him sent down to the minors. Nevermind the fact that it was not even two months into the season. Nevermind the fact that he's a rookie. Nevermind the fact that his defense in CF has been stellar. Off with his head! :rolly

I agree that Pods does not play CF well. But the notion that he's completely incapable of playing the position is complete crap.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
Sure, and for every legitimate post here, there are five or ten extremist, reactionary posts. Players get thrown under the bus here (and I'm assuming most other baseball MBs) whenever they make a mistake. When Ozuna misplayed a fly ball in LF in Kansas City, people here wanted him banned from the outfield. Nevermind the fact that it was extremely windy that evening. Nevermind the fact that Ozuna hardly ever plays at all. Off with his head! When Anderson failed to produce at the plate, people here wanted him sent down to the minors. Nevermind the fact that it was not even two months into the season. Nevermind the fact that he's a rookie. Nevermind the fact that his defense in CF has been stellar. Off with his head! :rolly

I agree that Pods does not play CF well. But the notion that he's completely incapable of playing the position is complete crap.

The reports we all saw about Pods was after the season. Typically, the reactionary posts subsided, and it's easier to evaluate a player's ability then. And yes....in a perfect world, Ozuna should never play in the outfield again, and Anderson should be in the minors right now.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)

How about this, over the past 5 years I've followed the Brew Crew incredibly closely, in fact I've seen a great majority of their games. I watched Podsednik play out there a lot and the one thing that was extremely appearant was that he gets horrible jumps on the ball in CF. The second the ball is hit he does one of two things, either freezes up or breaks back immediately. Both of these are horribly reactions to a batted bal especally breaking back which lead to a s*** load of ball landing in front of him that should have been caught and would have been caught by a competent centerfielder.

Podsednik's only real saving grace was his above average closing speed which allowed him to get to a small percentage of the balls that he missplayed, he would normally end up diving to catch these balls landing him on Sportscenter even though it was for all intensive purposes, a s*** play.

That's my scouting report on Podsednik in CF, there's a reason why Podsednik was moved to LF when he got here and why he started only 6 of the 11 games Rowand missed last year. If he was good enough to play the position he would have already gotten some playing time out there this season and would have started all 11 games Rowand missed last year. The fact that Ozzie is appearantly thinking about putting Ozuna out in CF should tell you something.

I can't really tell you why they stuck with Podsednik through those two years but there's also a reason why they finished in last place both those seasons and their poor team defense certainly contributed to their overall suckiness.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:05 AM)
I can't really tell you why they stuck with Podsednik through those two years but there's also a reason why they finished in last place both those seasons and their poor team defense certainly contributed to their overall suckiness.

I'm sure that their horrible pitching (especially in '03) had more to do with it, but I see your point.

No offense, but I'm going to take Ned Yost's opinion over somebody who watches the games on TV. The fact that Clark was playing RF in '04 instead of Pods says quite a bit.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:21 AM)
I'm sure that their horrible pitching (especially in '03) had more to do with it, but I see your point.

No offense, but I'm going to take Ned Yost's opinion over somebody who watches the games on TV. The fact that Clark was playing RF in '04 instead of Pods says quite a bit.

They had nowhere else to put Pods and they figured they were better off with Clark in RF and Pods in CF as opposed to Pods playing RF.

It wasn't like they were going to bench there studly leadoff hitter (Pods).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
They had nowhere else to put Pods and they figured they were better off with Clark in RF and Pods in CF as opposed to Pods playing RF.

It wasn't like they were going to bench there studly leadoff hitter (Pods).

Quiet Jason, reason will not work here. You are just a stupid fan, surely Ned Yost knew that Pods could play RF with that cannon of an arm but refused to because he was just so damn good in CF.

I could play better OF defense that wack-ass Scotty Pods, and I'm just some random asshole on an internet message board who hasn't played organized baseball since his sophomore year of high school.

And Ned Yost would most likely agree.

God damn NEWBS. Start watching some games. If you live in Oregon or underneath a rock, get yourself a motherf***ing MLB package already. :D

I still think that Brian Anderson will do good-just not this year. But, you don't make a 3bman in the minors your starting of'er in the majors overnight. The guy needs some work there first. Who else do we have in AAA that looks good?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
Quiet Jason, reason will not work here. You are just a stupid fan, surely Ned Yost knew that Pods could play RF with that cannon of an arm but refused to because he was just so damn good in CF.

Um, OK, so Pods can't play RF because of his lack of arm strength, but it's OK for him to play LF? BTW, having a "cannon for an arm" doesn't mean crap if you have little accuracy to go with it.

I find it amusing that Pods is supposedly the worst defensive CF ever, but still played there for two seasons and beat out Brady Clark, who has been playing there over the past two years. I guess that makes Clark worse than awful, huh? I wonder why he's still in the majors, since he has no power, little speed, and can barely hit for average.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
I'm just some random asshole on an internet message board

Hey, we agree on something! :cheers

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Um, OK, so Pods can't play RF because of his lack of arm strength, but it's OK for him to play LF? BTW, having a "cannon for an arm" doesn't mean crap if you have little accuracy to go with it.

I find it amusing that Pods is supposedly the worst defensive CF ever, but still played there for two seasons and beat out Brady Clark, who has been playing there over the past two years. I guess that makes Clark worse than awful, huh? I wonder why he's still in the majors, since he has no power, little speed, and can barely hit for average.

Hey, we agree on something! :cheers

Dude. Shut up.

In 2003, the White Sox played Carl Everett in CF over Aaron Rowand. Therefore, using your logic, Carl Everett is the best centerfielder in baseball.