Bonds: Steroid allegations, asterisk possibility hurt

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 31, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)
Bonds has already admitted to a grand jury that he used substances from BALCO that contained steroids. So why is the word "alleged" still used to preface his steroid use? :huh

BECAUSE IT WAS AN ACCIDENT, f***ER! HE DIDN'T KNOW!

I've got no real clue, but it probably has to do with sugarcoating. Much like a defense attorney might say, in a rape trial, "The alleged rape occurred..."

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
I've got no real clue, but it probably has to do with sugarcoating. Much like a defense attorney might say, in a rape trial, "The alleged rape occurred..."

Sure, if the rapist didn't admit to the crime.

I'm wondering if the press are actually afraid to repeat the leaked information, despite the fact that it's common knowledge. Maybe there are possible legal repurcussions?

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
Sure, if the rapist didn't admit to the crime.

I'm wondering if the press are actually afraid to repeat the leaked information, despite the fact that it's common knowledge. Maybe there are possible legal repurcussions?

I'm not sure of legal repurcussions, and I doubt that's it.

It's just sugar coating by the media -- or, as some call it, "Objectivity." Bonds has never been tested positive, nor has he admitted to purposefully and knowingly taking them. Therefore, it's merely alleged.

Just like you'd call the rapist an alleged rapist until he's convicted or confesses.

That's why I'm not a reporter!

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
Just like you'd call the rapist an alleged rapist until he's convicted or confesses.

Right, and Bonds confessed to the grand jury that he used steroid-containing supplements from Balco. Whether he "knowingly" took them or not doesn't change the fact that he took them.