AL All-Star Ballot Update

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 31, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
If Crede isn't voted in by the fans, you know the entire thing is flawed.

But who cares? Ozzie will put every single one of them on the team anyways! :)

I keep saying this...the manager has Far less control over the roster than he used to...most of the backups are now chosen by the players.

Each team consists of 32 players, selected in one of the following ways, listed in order:

* Fan voting: Baseball fans vote on the starting position players for the All-Star Game, with ballots distributed at baseball games before mid-season and, more recently, on the Internet. When the game is played at an American League park, the designated hitter for the AL team is also selected in this manner.

* Player voting: As of 2005, pitchers and one back-up player for each position are elected by the other players. If the top vote-getter at a certain position is also being voted in via fan voting, then the second-place finisher in this category is chosen for the team.

* Manager selection (first): The manager and the Commissioner's Office will fill the roster up to 31 players.

* Final vote: After the lists of 31 players for each league is announced, fans will vote for one additional player, chosen from a list of 5 players provided by the manager and the Commissioner's Office.

* Manager selection (second): After the final vote, the manager and the Commissioner's Office will replace players who are injured or declined to participate. Each major league team is guaranteed to have at least one player selected to participate.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
If Crede isn't voted in by the fans, you know the entire thing is flawed.

Crede is not better than A-Rod so he will not be voted in by the fans. The whole thing is flawed but not for the reason you stated.

The ASG is a joke, plain and simple. It's a Yankees-Red Sox circle jerk, through and through.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
Crede is not better than A-Rod so he will not be voted in by the fans. The whole thing is flawed but not for the reason you stated.

Crede is playing the best defense of all the third-basemen. If you try to tell me A-Rod is better at defense, I will laugh, and not even bother responding.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
His numbers aren't that much better than Crede's to make up for the fact that Crede probably plays the best defense at 3B in the AL and possibly 2nd behind Rolen for all of baseball.

Defense should mean something when it comes to this.

I know that the awarding of Gold Gloves is a flawed process. My point in bringing it up in Lowell's case is to show that he isn't an ass-clown in the field. While the best fielder at each position isn't always awarded a gold glove, the winner is usually a very good fielder. Every year there are injustices regarding all-star snubs. I don't think Lowell getting voted in over Crede, given thier respective performances thus far, would be one of these annual injustices. If Crede hits .400 with 10 home runs in June and Lowell is still voted in, my opinion would change.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
Crede is playing the best defense of all the third-basemen. If you try to tell me A-Rod is better at defense, I will laugh, and not even bother responding.

The All-Star game does not just reward players for playing good defense. A-Rod has 13 HRs, 42 RBI and a .935 OPS. By the time the ASG comes around that OPS will be closer to 1.000.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
I know that the awarding of Gold Gloves is a flawed process. My point in bringing it up in Lowell's case is to show that he isn't an ass-clown in the field. While the best fielder at each position isn't always awarded a gold glove, the winner is usually a very good fielder. Every year there are injustices regarding all-star snubs. I don't think Lowell getting voted in over Crede, given thier respective performances thus far, would be one of these annual injustices. If Crede hits .400 with 10 home runs in June and Lowell is still voted in, my opinion would change.

I never claimed it to be an injustice, I simply stated that Crede is having the superior season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
I never claimed it to be an injustice, I simply stated that Crede is having the superior season.

I don't think Crede is having a superior season. Lowell's OPS is 90 points higher. That is a fairly significant difference. It surely makes up for any advantage Crede has over Lowell defensively.

Which is why I hate the "I'm going to vote for every White Sox player regardless" mentality. Last I looked, there are a lot of Yankmee and Red Sox fans out there.

I am a little surprised at the love for our infield, and shocked that Dye is still overlooked. I guess a WS MVP doesn't open enough eyes.

I'd hate to include such an angle, but with Boras as Crede's agent, you have to cringe at the thought of how he'll handle an All-Star selection during contract negotiations. While it wouldn't change his numbers, it's more of an addition to a resume. Looks better at the end of the season to have Gold Glove and All-Star under your name. I'm sure Boras will exploit it for every cent.

Now, don't misinterpret this as me suggesting Crede shouldn't be elected. Or recieve the gold glove. He deserves both. It's merely a situation I can forsee costing us several more million down the line. With Boras, more than any other agent, these accomplishments stand out more. Our relationship with him doesn't help matters.

I enjoy seeing our players recognized, but whether or not Crede is elected to the All-Star game or snubbed out of a gold-glove wouldn't change anything about his accomplishments. Swarm on me for "always looking for the negative angle," or "wishing Crede is denied just praise," but mark it down -- it's going to cost us.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 31, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
Which is why I hate the "I'm going to vote for every White Sox player regardless" mentality.

That's why I won't vote anymore. The system is broken. It's such a joke. I would vote for who I felt deserved it regardless of who they played for. Obviously, the Yankees and Red Sox fans are stuffing the ballot boxes voting in just their guys.

On one hand, I couldn't care less. But, what bothers me is when they say player X is a Y time all-star when the whole system is a joke.

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
That's why I won't vote anymore. The system is broken. It's such a joke. I would vote for who I felt deserved it regardless of who they played for. Obviously, the Yankees and Red Sox fans are stuffing the ballot boxes voting in just their guys.

On one hand, I couldn't care less. But, what bothers me is when they say player X is a Y time all-star when the whole system is a joke.

This is the part that bothers me, people like to use ASG appearances and Gold Gloves won to judge a player especially at the end of thier career. A guy like Jim Thome who has been one of the best players in baseball over the past 12 years and he only has 4 ASG appearances while lesser players have a similar amount of appearances because of how poor the system is. It's just a shame that we can't use these awards and points of recognition to evaluate a player's career.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
wow, who would vote for uribe and why? :bang

my votes:

c-martinez

1b-paulie

2b-roberts

3b-crede

ss-tejada

of-manny

of-vlad

of-dye

thome as my write in because obviously he should go

You do realize the writein doesn't count if you've picked all the other positions?

Just to help everyone out, I'll share with you who you should be voting for at their respective postion in the AL

C - Joe Mauer

1B - Travis Hafner

2B - Jose Lopez

3B - Alex Rodriguez

SS - Miguel Tejada

OF - Jermaine Dye

OF - Vernon Wells/Alex Rios

OF - Manny Ramirez

You're welcome.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:45 AM)
Just to help everyone out, I'll share with you who you should be voting for at their respective postion in the AL

C - Joe Mauer

1B - Travis Hafner

2B - Jose Lopez

3B - Alex Rodriguez

SS - Miguel Tejada

OF - Jermaine Dye

OF - Vernon Wells/Alex Rios

OF - Manny Ramirez

You're welcome.

I'd take Thome over Hafner at 1B as a write-in, but past that... yea.

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
Obviously, the Yankees and Red Sox fans are stuffing the ballot boxes voting in just their guys.

I think it goes further than that,. And adding the number of Sox players in 3rd place leads me to this.It's all about name recognition. Winning and post season appearances gets your name in front of an audience and those are the names that get click. I know when I'm voting in the NL, I lean towards Astros players because I've heard of them, I have no idea who any of the stats leaders are in the NL.

Kalapse, nice lineup, hard to argue with your selections.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:35 AM)
I am so sick of that angle. It's been going on for the last 5+ years. Williams and Reinsdorf need to step up to the plate when it comes to Boras. I've grow tierd of players being automatically crossed off the Sox FA or trade list because they are Boras clients. T

his isnt 2002, 18,000 a night baseball anymore. The Sox are defending World Champs, and have the 4th highest payroll in baseball. There is no reason that the Sox should work at a disadvantage because of an agent. No reason at all.

We won the World Series last year, now much has it really hurt us? The thing is with a set budget, the amount extra you spend for a Borass client, comes out of our bottom line somewhere else. What Kenny has done is he has been able to spend every dime wisely instead of spending a ton on a few players, and having it cost him somewhere else.

Ozzie said today in the Trib that he was not going to manage the Yankees. Good for him. 4 Yankees lead the A/S balloting w/3 Red Sox as well. No White Sox player is higher than third.

First Base

1. David Ortiz, Red Sox 451,431

2. Jason Giambi, Yankees 321,653

3. Paul Konerko, White Sox 206,472

4. Travis Hafner, Indians 154,878

5. Chris Shelton, Tigers 153,197

Second Base

1. Robinson Cano, Yankees 289,394

2. Mark Loretta, Red Sox 257,125

3. Tadahito Iguchi, White Sox 246,838

4. Brian Roberts, Orioles 130,702

5. Placido Polanco, Tigers 129,596

Third Base

1. Alex Rodriguez, Yankees 524,153

2. Mike Lowell, Red Sox 224,611

3. Joe Crede, White Sox 171,954

4. Eric Chavez, Athletics 167,020

5. Troy Glaus, Blue Jays 145,243

Shortstop

1. Derek Jeter, Yankees 537,218

2. Miguel Tejada, Orioles 370,078

3. Michael Young, Rangers 142,254

4. Alex Gonzalez, Red Sox 130,616

5. Juan Uribe, White Sox 121,304

Catcher

1. Jason Varitek, Red Sox 335,417

2. Ivan Rodriguez, Tigers 277,034

3. Jorge Posada, Yankees 241,736

4. Victor Martinez, Indians 196,987

5. A.J. Pierzynski, White Sox 180,562

Outfield

1. Manny Ramirez, Red Sox 516,658

2. Vladimir Guerrero, Angels 514,013

3. Johnny Damon, Yankees 393,643

4. Ichiro Suzuki, Mariners 279,843

5. Gary Sheffield, Yankees 275,688

6. Vernon Wells, Blue Jays 242,211

7. Hideki Matsui, Yankees 231,777

8. Scott Podsednik, White Sox 195,402

9. Coco Crisp, Red Sox 189,680

10. Jermaine Dye, White Sox 183,160

11. Trot Nixon, Red Sox 177,745

12. Torii Hunter, Twins 169,937

13. Grady Sizemore, Indians 137,716

14. Jonny Gomes, Devil Rays 132,264

15. Kevin Mench, Rangers 131,779

Since the All-Star games means home field advantage, it is pretty important to potential playoff teams like the White Sox. My guess on the 10 Ozzie would/should take with him.

* = guys he would get roasted over.

Mark Buehrle

Jose Contreras

Freddy Garcia*

Bobby Jenks

Joe Crede

Tadahito Iguchi*

Paul Konerko

Jim Thome

Jermaine Dye*

A.J. Pierzynski***

The game is in Pittsburgh so no DH.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
Mark Buehrle

Jose Contreras

Freddy Garcia*

Bobby Jenks

Joe Crede

Tadahito Iguchi*

Paul Konerko

Jim Thome

Jermaine Dye*

A.J. Pierzynski***

The game is in Pittsburgh so no DH.

Ozzie doesn't care if he gets roasted. He is going to put the best team on the field, so you have to figure there will be at least 7 Sox on the roster at a minimum.