AL All-Star Ballot Update

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 07:48 AM)
We won the World Series last year, now much has it really hurt us? The thing is with a set budget, the amount extra you spend for a Borass client, comes out of our bottom line somewhere else. What Kenny has done is he has been able to spend every dime wisely instead of spending a ton on a few players, and having it cost him somewhere else.

Agreed, keep Boras on the black list. Hopefully more players will see that greed is counter productive to championships.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)
Just to help everyone out, I'll share with you who you should be voting for at their respective postion in the AL

C - Joe Mauer

1B - Travis Hafner

2B - Jose Lopez

3B - Alex Rodriguez

SS - Miguel Tejada

OF - Jermaine Dye

OF - Vernon Wells/Alex Rios

OF - Manny Ramirez

You're welcome.

C - Joe Mauer------How about ramon hernandez?

1B - Travis Hafner------I HATE voting for someone who doesn't even play the position, gimme Paulie

2B - Jose Lopez------I wish Iguchi

3B - Alex Rodriguez------Maybe even glaus...

SS - Miguel Tejada

OF - Jermaine Dye------I wish, but it would be vlad instead

OF - Manny Ramirez------swisher

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
I'd hate to include such an angle, but with Boras as Crede's agent, you have to cringe at the thought of how he'll handle an All-Star selection during contract negotiations. While it wouldn't change his numbers, it's more of an addition to a resume. Looks better at the end of the season to have Gold Glove and All-Star under your name. I'm sure Boras will exploit it for every cent.

Now, don't misinterpret this as me suggesting Crede shouldn't be elected. Or recieve the gold glove. He deserves both. It's merely a situation I can forsee costing us several more million down the line. With Boras, more than any other agent, these accomplishments stand out more. Our relationship with him doesn't help matters.

I enjoy seeing our players recognized, but whether or not Crede is elected to the All-Star game or snubbed out of a gold-glove wouldn't change anything about his accomplishments. Swarm on me for "always looking for the negative angle," or "wishing Crede is denied just praise," but mark it down -- it's going to cost us.

+1

great point. I will stop voting for crede also. cause i want to do what i can to help him stay here.

QUOTE(whitem0nkey @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
+1

great point. I will stop voting for crede also. cause i want to do what i can to help him stay here.

Take your time. We own him till '08.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
Agreed, keep Boras on the black list. Hopefully more players will see that greed is counter productive to championships.

Teams are hopeless in front of Boras. They don't stand a chance. He would destroy Kenny if Kenny even was allowed to say hi. Teams will magically just agree with whatever Boras asks for. Far better if Kenny isn't allowed to talk to Boras.

He could also negotiate world peace, solve our budet crisis, unite Muslim, Hindu, Christians, and Jews, and out kick Chuck Norris.

I'm LMAO at all those players that cried all off season because they didn't sign with the Sox.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)

1B - Travis Hafner------I HATE voting for someone who doesn't even play the position, gimme Paulie

SS - Miguel Tejada

Mauer has had a much better season than Hernandez. He's hitting .359/.420/.494, compared to Hernandez's .286/.348/.478. Even if you had a HR fetish (Hernandez has 8, Mauer 4), its hard to say that Hernandez is more deserving then either Mauer or Posada.

Jermaine Dye has had a much better year than Vlad. He's hitting .298/.402/.638 with 14 HR and 36 RBI, while Vlad had put up a .318/.364/.537 line with 13 HR and 45 RBI. But yes, Swisher is more deserving than Manny too (although, not nearly as more deserving as Dye is over Vlad).

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)

SS - Miguel Tejada

Mauer is currently batting .359 with a .914 OPS, I'm sorry but those 2 numbers alone force me to go with Mauer. A catcher is not suppoed to do what he's currently doing.

Well, since there is no DH, you just have to think of it as a combined position so it's 1B/DH meaning Thome would get the knod over everyone but you can't bank on a write-in so the 2nd best play at the position, Hafner, takes the cake.

It would be cool if Iguchi did start and it really wouldn't surprise me but Jose Lopez is having the superior season.

Troy Gluas is batting 42 points lower, has 4 more HRs but also has 4 less runs along with very similar OPSs. A-Rods far superior defense takes the cake.

Swisher is not on the ballot so Manny and his .435 OBP/1.014 OPS should be out there. If Swisher was on the ballot he would get the spot.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
Mauer has had a much better season than Hernandez. He's hitting .359/.420/.494, compared to Hernandez's .286/.348/.478. Even if you had a HR fetish (Hernandez has 8, Mauer 4), its hard to say that Hernandez is more deserving then either Mauer or Posada.

Jermaine Dye has had a much better year than Vlad. He's hitting .298/.402/.638 with 14 HR and 36 RBI, while Vlad had put up a .318/.364/.537 line with 13 HR and 45 RBI. But yes, Swisher is more deserving than Manny too (although, not nearly as more deserving as Dye is over Vlad).

Shame he's not on the ballot.

QUOTE(whitem0nkey @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
True but I want to avoid the possible ugliness that may come out from the arbitrations.

It's a situation where most people would say, "Why wouldn't you want Crede as an All-Star," but what's the actual payoff? For Hawk to refer to him as "All-Star" Joe Crede, or watching him play defense for several innings in an exhibition game? On the contrary, lets look at one noteable disadvantage. It'll probably cost several million during contract negotiations. Any other player representative I wouldn't care.

I realize an All-Star selection may not do nothing to the bottom line, but we're talking about Boras here. It goes without question, Crede is incredibly valuable to our ballclub. His defense helps our pitchers; offense is capable of producing respectable power numbers (at worst). We're going to have to break bank to retain him beyond 08' as it is. Just remember when negotiations begin and Boras begins throwing out statements such as "my client is an all-star and gold glove winning third basemen....." It serves only as leverage for him.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
We're going to have to break bank to retain him beyond 08' as it is. Just remember when negotiations begin and Boras begins throwing out statements such as "my client is an all-star and gold glove winning third basemen....." It serves only as leverage for him.
To deny a guy his possibly only shot at playing in the All-Star game, which he's probably dreamed of since he was a kid will do a lot to sabotage the team's position in these offseason contract talks of which you speak.

If Ozzie feels he deserves to go but denies him a spot cause of these concerns, well, that will be just cruel and IMO counterproductive wrt:retaining him on the ballclub.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
To deny a guy his possibly only shot at playing in the All-Star game, which he's probably dreamed of since he was a kid will do a lot to sabotage the team's position in these offseason contract talks of which you speak.

If Ozzie feels he deserves to go but denies him a spot cause of these concerns, well, that will be just cruel and IMO counterproductive wrt:retaining him on the ballclub.

I know what you're suggesting, and it's my fault for not explaining myself further, but I didn't mean Guillen should withhold him from the All-Star game. Obviously, it would be poor judgement for a manager to put someones value on the field above their performance. When you consider his production at 3B coupled with stellar defense, he'll be there as it is.

I guess if I had to put it simply, I wouldn't be too upset if Crede weren't on the All-Star roster. ONLY because I know it's going to come back to haunt us. Several million added upon a Boras contract extension means everything.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
Mauer is currently batting .359 with a .914 OPS, I'm sorry but those 2 numbers alone force me to go with Mauer. A catcher is not suppoed to do what he's currently doing.

Well, since there is no DH, you just have to think of it as a combined position so it's 1B/DH meaning Thome would get the knod over everyone but you can't bank on a write-in so the 2nd best play at the position, Hafner, takes the cake.

It would be cool if Iguchi did start and it really wouldn't surprise me but Jose Lopez is having the superior season.

Troy Gluas is batting 42 points lower, has 4 more HRs but also has 4 less runs along with very similar OPSs. A-Rods far superior defense takes the cake.

Swisher is not on the ballot so Manny and his .435 OBP/1.014 OPS should be out there. If Swisher was on the ballot he would get the spot.

Shame he's not on the ballot.

I agree with both of you guys' points (well, most) but was merely providing alternative choices. I'd definitely take A-Rod over Glaus but wouldn't say Dye (who I luv) is having that much of a better season than Vlad, and name recognition would obviously be a big factor in that one.

Swisher and Rios aren't gonna get voted in (even if they were on the ballot) but that's how I woulda voted at this point if they were on the ballot. (I think with write-ins Rios is barely top 20?)

s***, that's a lot of parentheses...

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
I don't care who is doing better. I am sick of the Yankees and Red Sox always drawing the most coverage and getting all their players in the All-Star game. I am voting for my team's players no matter what.

Blame the Tribune. ;)

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
Well yeah, if it were up to me nobody would want to go and nobody would have to play, as I think the ASG is a joke. However, for the guys that haven't been there before like Crede and my avatar over there, I bet they'd love the recognition.

Seems like we agree. How boring.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)

Yeah, I don't see Guillen denying Crede a spot for that reason.

But I'm not sure he'll be able to get him on as is.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
I agree with both of you guys' points (well, most) but was merely providing alternative choices. I'd definitely take A-Rod over Glaus but wouldn't say Dye (who I luv) is having that much of a better season than Vlad, and name recognition would obviously be a big factor in that one.

Swisher and Rios aren't gonna get voted in (even if they were on the ballot) but that's how I woulda voted at this point if they were on the ballot. (I think with write-ins Rios is barely top 20?)

s***, that's a lot of parentheses...

Well, IMO Dye is having possibly the best season for any OF this side of Alex Rios. Dye currently has a 1.041 OPS which is tied for the best in the AL for all outfielders. And he just hit a HR so his OPS is about to go up even more. Vlad is 11th in the AL with a .901. Not even close.

Fun Fact: Pablo Ozuna has the highest OPS in the AL amongst OF at 1.052, too bad he's not eligible.

So which Sox pitchers deserve to be on the All Star team?

As of right now I think it's between Mark, Javy or Jose. I can't see more than one making it at this time. Definitely no one from the bullpen.

Edited by BigSqwert

Boyle and Melton are seriously jerkasses.

They claim Bobby Jenks is an All-Star Closer and will be going to Pittsburgh in July.

As of right now Bobby Jenks is not worthy of a roster spot IMO.

Last year the AL team carried 5 closers (2 due to being required team rep)

Papelbon, Ryan, Rivera, Nathan, Ray and Wickman are all having better seasons. Especially the first 3.

If Bobby continues to string together these outstanding outings then yeah, he's got a damn good shot but as of right now, I think he's on the outside looking in.