ST Poll: Which is the most pressing need for the White Sox?

aboz56

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:17 PM)
BP.

We dont need to get a new SS, we just need to have Uribe park his ass next to Gload on the bench and let Cintron play for a while so Taz can get his brain in order and stop with the Profundo crap.

Exactly.

I have no idea what should be done about BA. With the bullpen, there's usually guys available at some point. With Anderson, we have nobody within the organization and it seems like there's nobody outside that's available. I'm sure glad I don't have to solve that problem.

QUOTE(Chet @ May 31, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
Is our Bull Pen really that bad, or does Cliff Politte just skew it?

Seriously i think Cliff Politte skews it that bad. Matt Thornton has had how many scoreless apearences now? and as that recent article has stated hes now in phase two of his project with Coop soon he will be putting hitters away with regularity. Jenks has been great when used in the appropriate situations, Cotts has been good hes posting a 2.91 ERA. I think McCarthy needs to be moved into the right handed set up man role and get more consistant work. Jeff Nelson is the ROOGY, and Politte needs to be moved into the mop up role.

Uribe has proven himself at the ML level hes getting better at the plate these past two games he hasn't been swining at the first pitch as much and yesterday he actually had hit, up until today he was batting .265 in his last ten days.

Anderson just looks lost and outmatched right now. He's an amazing defender but as i've stated time and time again we need a complete CF, Mackowiak appears to be cooling off a bit, and i really don't feel comfertable with him in CF.

In other news Corey Patterson went 1-3 today with a single, SO, BB, SB. hes still batting .290 and has 19SB/1CS

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 31, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)
Click Here To Vote in The Poll

Vote at the above link and discuss here.

Not even close, the pen. We won't lose this year because or 8 and 9 hitters aren't any good at the plate (if they continue to do what they are doing today). We would potentially lose if those two guys stopped playing gold glove caliber defense though.

However, the pen will prevent us from winning games.

QUOTE(beautox @ May 31, 2006 -> 07:53 PM)
Seriously i think Cliff Politte skews it that bad. Matt Thornton has had how many scoreless apearences now? and as that recent article has stated hes now in phase two of his project with Coop soon he will be putting hitters away with regularity. Jenks has been great when used in the appropriate situations, Cotts has been good hes posting a 2.91 ERA. I think McCarthy needs to be moved into the right handed set up man role and get more consistant work. Jeff Nelson is the ROOGY, and Politte needs to be moved into the mop up role.

Uribe has proven himself at the ML level hes getting better at the plate these past two games he hasn't been swining at the first pitch as much and yesterday he actually had hit, up until today he was batting .265 in his last ten days.

Anderson just looks lost and outmatched right now. He's an amazing defender but as i've stated time and time again we need a complete CF, Mackowiak appears to be cooling off a bit, and i really don't feel comfertable with him in CF.

In other news Corey Patterson went 1-3 today with a single, SO, BB, SB. hes still batting .290 and has 19SB/1CS

I'm starting to like the idea of Patterson (shudder the thought) but with the way he's playing it would probably take a bit to get him.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:47 AM)
The O's are in a perfect situation. Patterson IMO is playing way over his head(I know how much hype he had, but im not sure he can keep it up) and the O's could get a kings ransom from someone in a position like the Sox.

When looking at the question at hand, the pen, by a landslide. I think they are actually one really solid RHP away from turning everything around. Clemens going back to Houston really hurts the chances of Lidge being on the market, but that hasn't stoped KW in the past. If im him, I go balls to the wall to get Lidge on the southside, and give him a shot to prove himself in the postseason. He could go back to being the best setup man in the game, and the ballgame could be over in the 7th with a Thornton/Mac-Cotts/Lidge-Jenks matchup, it could make the pen very scary down the stretch.

With the addition of Clemens i doubt Lidge is going to be on the trading block, but who knows; his probelms appear to be "between the ears" and i know Coop is a magician but hes definatly not a psychologist. As far as Patterson goes i think your right it prolly would cost alot, but id pull the trigger. Its a shame too because we could've had him for nothing and given him Gload's roster spot seeing how Mackowiak can play 1B.

Whats more important: Having a possible 5-tool perennial all-star but not winning the WS again in the form of Anderson(note: I'm not saying we can't make a run in the post season with him, but lets not kid ourselves when was the last time a team won the WS with a CF hitting below the Mendoza line and was simply around for defense)? or Getting what could equate to a medicore/above average/possibly great CF in Corey Patterson who also has all 5-tools and would make us strong up the middle?

Would you be willing to give up top prospects/Rookie e.g. Anderson & Broadway/Lumsden/Harrell/Haeger/Fields/Rogo/Sweeney? To acquire the likes of Patterson.

i would because most prospects don't pan out and there exactly that, prospects; how many "can't miss" and 1st round prospects have gone bust?

Personally i would rather acquire proven ML talent in the form of Patterson yes he is a career .255 hitter but at least hes got a track record, and he's only 26 years old. I remember a certain Dodger catcher who was supposed to be a ROY that alot of people wrote of, and he's currently playing 1B for this team.

Here comes the Corey Patterson Love Train Again!

::Turns on Quad City Dj's "Come on and Ride It (the Train)"::Again!

trains_009.jpg

"come on ride the train, and ride it".....to another world series championship :D

I am going to be different and NOT say bullpen. I have been apalled by the complete lack of fundemental baseball over the past few weeks. As a matter of a fact, I will go out on a limb and say the Sox will be on the outside looking in for the playoffs if they keep playing this style of baseball, no matter what is done with the bullpen.

From the poll I would say bullpen is the greatest need, but overall I would say some consistency.

It seems like Ozzie is overmanaging this year and the frequent lineup changes don't seem to be working.

Another pressing need right now is a win.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:02 PM)
I am going to be different and NOT say bullpen. I have been apalled by the complete lack of fundemental baseball over the past few weeks. As a matter of a fact, I will go out on a limb and say the Sox will be on the outside looking in for the playoffs if they keep playing this style of baseball, no matter what is done with the bullpen.

Well said. I agree that we're not going to make the playoffs if we continue to play the same brand of baseball, and get similar execution. We're a power hitting team who tries to play small ball, and it doesn't work that well. I absolutely hate how we try to bunt in front of Thome. He's definitely not the type of guy who's going to hit you sac flies. Rather, we should try to save the outs, and just let our 3-4-5 get as many ABs with guys on as possible. The main reason why I feel CF is our most glaring need is that we need to get some production from the bottom of the order. If you start getting guys on for the top of the order, that's when we can get big innings going.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 05:02 AM)

I can sum up the 1 thing the White Sox need the most in 1 word. It's not bullpen, shortstop, or Center.

It is Balls. This team needs Balls. Right now, they have no marbles.