Who sits out during Interleague play?

Paulie's save a lot of errors on bad throws this season. Thome hasn't played first in almost a year. I would stick with Paulie, unless Thome happens to be on an incredible roll offensively. Since Thome has been in the NL, he probably is more familiar with most of the pitchers. I guess I would basically have to see how both are going when the series are to be played. If anything, maybe platoon them.

Back to the field: With Interleague Play moving to National League parks as of June 16 for the White Sox, Ozzie Guillen is still weighing his options in regard to the usage of Jim Thome. The White Sox start with a weekend series in Cincinnati, followed by six straight Interleague home contests against St. Louis and Houston.

The action then moves to three in Pittsburgh and the return weekend set at Wrigley Field to close out June. The White Sox manager spoke Tuesday of having the luxury of being able to use Thome in any of those series, with all three away ballparks featuring natural grass.

While Thome probably will start no more than one-third of those nine games in the field, Guillen definitely doesn't want to completely shut out the American League's most productive hitter.

"My problem is there are two ways," Guillen said of Thome. "Put him on the field and hopefully nothing happens on the field. And another way is I can sit him for nine games straight and just pinch-hit.

"There's no way I'm going to sit this guy. I already talked to [Paul] Konerko about that, and he's willing to do what I want him to do."

Guillen pointed out how easy it is to manage a team with a lack of egos, as exhibited by Thome and Konerko's willingness to follow his decision during Interleague action. Guillen added that the decision is different with Thome, who has been taking ground balls from third-base coach Joey Cora, than it was in 2005 with Frank Thomas, who no longer could play the field.

We could always just shift guys around, both Thome and Konerko can play 3B and Pauly could also play catcher, so instead of having to sit Thome or Konerko we could always bench one of Crede or Pierz instead. Also if you can play 3B, you can play LF so why not stick one of Thome, Crede or Kong out in LF, shift Pods to CF and bam no problem.

C: Pierz

1B: Konerko

2B: Iguchi

SS: Uribe

3B: Thome

LF: Crede

CF: Pods

RF: Dye

Awesome.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
We could always just shift guys around, both Thome and Konerko can play 3B and Pauly could also play catcher, so instead of having to sit Thome or Konerko we could always bench one of Crede or Pierz instead. Also if you can play 3B, you can play LF so why not stick one of Thome, Crede or Kong out in LF, shift Pods to CF and bam no problem.

Awesome.

We could also put Dye at SS and Call up Fields to play RF.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)

Awesome.

Pablo should probably pitch too, so we get a little more offense from the 9 spot.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 31, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
We could also put Dye at SS and Call up Fields to play RF.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 31, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
Pablo should probably pitch too, so we get a little more offense from the 9 spot.

So what we've got here is the ultimate NL lineup.

Pods - CF

Iguchi - 2B

Thome - 3B

Konerko - 1B

Dye - SS

Fields - RF

Pierz - C

Crede - LF

Ozuna - P

Who says an AL team can't play NL ball?

I think putting Thome in for one third of the games is fine and well -- have him pinch-hit in the others.

I worry about injury, too, but no more than I do with other players. Thome's not a Cub after all. He takes balls during batting practice and by all measures is in shape for it.

QUOTE(T R U @ May 31, 2006 -> 08:44 PM)
Do you think Konerko could honestly play 3B for a few games?

Move Crede over to SS and sit Uribe when this happens?

Honestly, how much do you think it would cost us?

Could he? Probably as well, at least, as Pablo plays Left. ;)

Will he? No, this is unlikely as anything. Guillen's not going down that road.

QUOTE(T R U @ May 31, 2006 -> 08:44 PM)
Do you think Konerko could honestly play 3B for a few games?

Move Crede over to SS and sit Uribe when this happens?

Honestly, how much do you think it would cost us?

No, he really couldn't and it could cost us big time in the long term due to him getting injured over there.

This is a big concern for the games against NL teams.

I'd play Konerko at first and use Thome solely as a pinch hitter,

only because we acquired Thome to DH and only DH.

If we let Thome play first, he's probably going to get hurt.

If we play Paulie at first we know we're going to go at least .500 in NL

parks.

Why put Thome in the field? It's a dumb idea.