Who sits out during Interleague play?

Why even risk playing Thome at first? You don't lose much with Konerko in there instead and you can pinch hit Thome every game, virtually picking the ideal spot for him to hit. Its the difference between 1 at bat per game with no worry of Jim getting injured, or 4 at bats with the fear of injury. Those three at bats per game aren't worth it.

I don't want Thome playing first base at all. I was very pleased when Ozzie first said he would not be on the field, and very displeased when he backed off of that recently.

He is too important of a piece and too "potentially" fragile to be toying around with on the field. What happens if the first ball he dives for re-injures him? We are up s***'s creek at that point.

I think using him as a PH off the bench is the way to go. Beyond that, I think its just too risky.

The Chicago Tribune's Mark Gonzales reports Chicago White Sox 1B Paul Konerko will sit to let DH Jim Thome play during interleague play in National League ballparks, where the designated hitter rule won't be of use. "There's no way I'm going to sit this guy," manager Ozzie Guillen said of Thome, who leads the Sox with 20 home runs. "I already talked to Konerko about that, and he's willing to do what I want him to do. That's why I think it's easy to manage this club. Nobody has an ego, and, obviously, when you're playing interleague, you want to be in the lineup."

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
The Chicago Tribune's Mark Gonzales reports Chicago White Sox 1B Paul Konerko will sit to let DH Jim Thome play during interleague play in National League ballparks, where the designated hitter rule won't be of use. "There's no way I'm going to sit this guy," manager Ozzie Guillen said of Thome, who leads the Sox with 20 home runs. "I already talked to Konerko about that, and he's willing to do what I want him to do. That's why I think it's easy to manage this club. Nobody has an ego, and, obviously, when you're playing interleague, you want to be in the lineup."

I like it.

I'm less worried about Thome than most. I think he's a big boy, and if he couldn't physically do it, Guillen wouldn't make him.