Can anyone honestly dispute this???

DannyCooksey

QUOTE(DannyCooksey @ May 31, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)
This is an excerpt from one of the best websites ever created. www.heavethehawk.com. The following pretty much says it all. I cannot see how anyone could dispute this because the guy that wrote this depicts Hawk perfectly without a hint of embellishment. This is your announcer, Hawk Harrelson:

Hawk Harrelson, for those who have had the misfortune of listening to him, is a horrible announcer. In fact, he is without question, the worst announcer in all of sports and maybe in the history of sports.

There is a great website called: www.heavethehawk.com for those who despise him as much as I do. Here is an excerpt from the site that I feel best describes hawk's vast ineptitude. Enjoy:

I'm elated that this site exists.

I am a huge baseball fan who moved to Chicago from Detroit about 6 years ago. I moved here with zero allegiances as far as the Chicago teams are concerned, and I endeavored to stay neutral. I root for the Tigers, but at the time they were nowhere near competing for the AL Central title, so any kind of rivalry against the White Sox was far from my mind. I enjoyed the idea of taking in some day games at Wrigley and some night games at Sox park.

Then I met the fans.

Look, I know this site is about heaving the Hawk, not about knocking White Sox fans, and I'm aware of the reputation of Cubs fans (as drunks who don't follow the game and don't care), but this was too much to ignore. Every time I tried to go there and mind my own business, to quietly score the game in peace, my intelligence was insulted and my patience tested by the biggest group of troglodyte jerks ever collected. Let's make something clear: there are many perfectly cool Sox fans out there. That being said, they are greatly outnumbered by vapid, angry, threatening, vile boneheads who are incapable of seeing a baseball game objectively. I'm convinced the Hawk is a big reason for this.

Hawk gets on the air and he hoots, brays, smugly chortles, and, in the event that the Sox getting their asses handed to them, silently broods or whines his way through baseball games. He sees every single negative occurrence for the Sox as an injustice, and he sees every break they get as their Heaven-ordained entitlement. He hammers away at any reasonable viewer's sensibilities by repeating self-made yet hackneyed lines like "he gone!" and "he looks up...you can put-it-onna boooooaaarrrrd...YES!" and "STRETCH!", to name only a few. I like play-by-play guys and analysts who offer something different, and in general I'm delighted by the idiosyncrasies of down-home personalities like Vin Scully, Ernie Harwell, Harry Caray, Dizzy Dean, and the like, but this guy is one giant, bombastic, mind-numbing idiosyncrasy. He's a jackass like a bully in school is a jackass. He's every bloviating egomaniac who calls into sportstalk radio. He's an insufferable bastard, whether he's your uncle, your father-in-law, or your baseball broadcaster.

The Hawk has helped to mold an army of fans who are permanently dissatisfied with their second-billing in the city and chronically incapable of seeing things objectively. Hawk will sing most Sox players' praises over and over again in such illogical ways that the notions are seared into the collective consciousness of the fan base. It's one thing to love your team and most of its players, but talk to a Sox fan and you would think that they are following the '27 Yankees. To top it off, they will ***** and moan unless they are given the kind of attention lavished upon the hapless Cubs. You know, the team across town, the one who plays in a stadium devoted to minimal amounts of advertising and keeping the environment clear of things like ear-splitting music and hideous displays of jingoism.

Furthermore, Hawk screws up baseball games for people trying to watch on television. When a play-by-play or color analyst chooses to break something down or give some attention to something he thought was interesting or deserved a second look, the production team will follow suit. You'll get to see replays of nifty plays, weird bounces, brilliant pitches, or questionable calls. You'll get to see them unless they have rubbed Hawk and the dopey Colmes to his Hannity, DJ, the wrong way. The Sox get a favorable call or a weird bounce goes their way, and we get rhapsodic praise for the related Sox player instead of honest assessment of what went down. If an opposing player clobbers a homer to put his team ahead, we get dead air and a shot of something random because Hawk is sitting there silently sulking, like a retarded toddler deprived of the crayon he was trying to eat. Watch a real broadcast team with this in mind, and Hawk's lack of anything even resembling professionalism or sense of duty becomes painfully obvious. He is without a doubt the worst in the major leagues, and it isn't even close.

I could go on and on like this because it really is that bad. It pisses me off that he gets to butcher that job every day.

My point is, thanks for the site. Every bit of your bandwidth is hard earned richly deserved.

Didnt you already do your "One shot in and im out" post and claim that you were never coming back? Then you come back with this? Come on man, you have better thoughts than this, I have seen them on VTalk. Dont try and stir the pot this way.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 06:42 AM)
Didnt you already do your "One shot in and im out" post and claim that you were never coming back? Then you come back with this? Come on man, you have better thoughts than this, I have seen them on VTalk. Dont try and stir the pot this way.

This is all you need to remember from his first post here...

Cub Fan Here

Thanks, but no thanks troll-boy.

QUOTE(DannyCooksey @ May 31, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
i didn't write it. Someone emailed it to me actually. i never knew the site existed until today, but I think it's funny as hell.

So this is what you guys do when the Cubs suck? How pathetic... :headshake

QUOTE(earthshiner @ May 31, 2006 -> 08:58 PM)
This is why I love Hawk. He has declined over the last year or so but he makes me feel the game. I am just as disgusted when the Sox blow a lead. So disgusted I change the channel for a few minutes just to calm myself down. If they come back and take the lead I am sometimes yelling right along with Hawk. He may not be a great play by play guy by todays emotionless ESPN standards, but I will take some half insane fan yelling any day. :gosox1:

You hit the nail right on the head. I don't need any announcer to tell me what's going on in the game (and this is not to say that Hawk has any glaring shortcomings there- nobody's perfect). I can see it for myself. Hawk brings a lot of emotion to the game, and really amplifies how I feel when I'm watching the game on TV. He has a great history within the game, and with his anecdotes and experience, he brings a depth to the game that I would never see if it were just me watching.

I honestly don't understand why so many people hate Hawk. I guess you never find anyone who doesn't feel strongly about him, positive or negative, which says a lot.

:gosox1:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
So I was just thinking and I got ranover by an irony. A Cubs fan is on a White Sox sight talking about how bad their announcers are... These are the same people who embraced Harry Carry and Ron Santo right? OK, thanks for playing.

Ron Santo is by far the worst announcer in the game. The guy spends half his time crying for a base hit, and the other half crying about their pitching.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
Ron Santo is by far the worst announcer in the game. The guy spends half his time crying for a base hit, and the other half crying about their pitching.

Santo sounds like he is taking a dump during some of his broadcasts, the UGGGGHHHH, OOOHHHH BOOY. Then his voice sounds like he gargles razor blades.

What I get from that site is... a bunch of cub fans trying to convince us sox fans our announcer is bad. I feel sorry for the few posters here that fell for the bait. I would never side with a cub fan. Especially when it is against our sox and anything to do with our sox.

Listening to all the different radio announcers on my XM, I would have to say that the radio team in Cleveland is the absolute worst I have ever heard. When it comes to homerisms, they make Hawk look like a Cubs fan.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ May 31, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
I noticed if I watch a Sox game with national broadcasters or listen on the radio, I don't experience as many emotional extremes as when Hawk is broadcasting. He always gets me so pumped when the Sox take a lead and depressed when we suck like now. It's times like these that I don't like listening to Hawk because he makes every Sox loss hurt that much more.

I hear you. Ed Farmer is starting to have the same effect on me. If the Sox aren't ahead, Ed goes into the doom and gloom bit with every opposing batter-- "a long one here would put the Sox behind by three" -- even if the batter hasn't hit a homerun since 2002. And when the Sox come up to bat -- "Sox have three hits tonight, last one in the third inning, we're now in the 7th."

If Farmer doesn't get out of Eeyore mode, I'm going to start drinking heavily this season!