Here comes Liriano...

He fired another gem tonight against the Angels who've really been playing better of late. He's now 4-0 with 3 starts and a 2.11 ERA. I watched him and I've got to say his stuff is truly electric.

If the twinkies get Radke on track, they'll make it even harder in the central. This season is so, so far from over...

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)
He fired another gem tonight against the Angels who've really been playing better of late. He's now 4-0 with 3 starts and a 2.11 ERA. I watched him and I've got to say his stuff is truly electric.

If the twinkies get Radke on track, they'll make it even harder in the central. This season is so, so far from over...

Didn't he take a no-hitter into the 6th last inning? Then, the Angels got an infield single on a bad call, and the Twins took him out after that inning.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 06:11 AM)
Didn't he take a no-hitter into the 6th last inning? Then, the Angels got an infield single on a bad call, and the Twins took him out after that inning.

Ya, I was at the game..it was a total hores*** call. We could tell from our seats that he was out and that isn't wasn't even that close. Total joke of a way to lose a no no.

He got rattled after that, but still got through things. I made sure to get to that game cause Liriano is my favorite young pitcher in all of baseball.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
The trade for Liriano and Nathan is quickly making it's way to the top of the "best trades off all time" list.

No offense, AJ.

Yep, and the Twins also got that Boof Bonser kid or w/e his name is that has been pretty good in a few starts for the Twins this year.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)

yeah im glad i had the foresight to take him and Verlander for MLB 8 player fantasy challenge. Didn't the twins give up AJ to get Liriano? and if so who else did they get i can't recall.

On a side note the ALC is going to have lots of talented young pitching for years to come, god i love the central.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
yeah im glad i had the foresight to take him and Verlander for MLB 8 player fantasy challenge. Didn't the twins give up AJ to get Liriano? and if so who else did they get i can't recall.

On a side note the ALC is going to have lots of talented young pitching for years to come, god i love the central.

AJ for Lirano, Nathan, and a 3rd guy who's hanging around AAA. One hell of a good deal for the Twins, and it's turned into a very good deal for the White Sox too.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
AJ for Lirano, Nathan, and a 3rd guy who's hanging around AAA. One hell of a good deal for the Twins, and it's turned into a very good deal for the White Sox too.

Thanks and i couldn't agree more, now that the twins have their new deal, in the very near future they're going to be good. real good.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 08:11 AM)

They took him out because he was at 105 pitches

If the Twins could of got some consistent hitting at the beginning of the season (They've been doing better of late) it might be a 3 team race right now

but Rondell White has been a bust (under .200 average, ZERO homeruns) Rubin Seirra is going on the 60 day DL. The only mainstay really has been Joe Mauer who is leading the league in avg ( and is really fun to watch hit. the guy is a stud)

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
As awesome as Mac, Papelbon, Felix,Cain, etc are-I think I'd take Liriano over any of them. So to answer your question about where our Liriano is-there are 29 teams asking/wishing/praying for the same thing

A lot of people in 2003 would have taken Mark Prior over almost every other pitcher in the league too. Talent only gets you so far sometimes.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
As awesome as Mac, Papelbon, Felix,Cain, etc are-I think I'd take Liriano over any of them. So to answer your question about where our Liriano is-there are 29 teams asking/wishing/praying for the same thing

You're right. It just so happens he's in our division, along with a collection of good arms in Cleveland and Detroit.

I realize we're at an obvious disadvantage because of our consistently low draft position. Nothing you can do about that. Even if we were to tank, there's no guarantee a Verlander or Prior is atop the draft. Most of the draft is really just a crapshoot. 29 other teams could have picked up Buehrle or McCarthy several times over. Just as they could have with Pujols.

My problem, one which can actually be addressed, is our inability to find talent in Central America. An area which produces such a large percentage of major leaguers has been ignored for nearly a decade. Hard to find Liriano's, Hernandez's, or even Nefi f***in' Perez's when you don't travel. Need more than baseball schools in Venezuela. This is really our only venue to pick up a solid prospect, and we're completely ignoring it.

...Or Williams could absolutely rape a team and make it easier on everyone. :cheers

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Well to get guys like Liriano and others in foreign countries-you gotta spend big and you have to have a long=term committment to it. Not many teams recognize this and do what it takes. The Dodgers certainly have for years. Teams like the White Sox put their money into the big league payroll but not always into the farm/other countries (some exceptions like Borchard)

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
Hypothetically, if the White Sox were in the Twins' shoes in 2003, what percentage of the board would be b****ing about the deal and not wanting to give up A.J. ? I bet it would be high.

They did have Mauer waiting in the wings too; that's got to be taken into consideration.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:52 PM)
They did have Mauer waiting in the wings too; that's got to be taken into consideration.

IMO, it was a very similar situation to what the Phillies did last year and if I was a fan of either team in either situation I'd be all for a trade.

I mean hell, Joe Mauer is pretty much the best catcher in baseball right now and Ryan Howard is one of the best sluggers in the league.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
Teams like the White Sox put their money into the big league payroll but not always into the farm/other countries (some exceptions like Borchard)

Umm you have heard of Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez right? They were both UNDRAFTED out of Panama and Venezuela and we developed them into pretty good players.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
IMO, it was a very similar situation to what the Phillies did last year and if I was a fan of either team in either situation I'd be all for a trade.

I mean hell, Joe Mauer is pretty much the best catcher in baseball right now and Ryan Howard is one of the best sluggers in the league.

Both examples of Mauer and Howard are exactly the situations I look for our ballclub to mimmick. It's a good problem to possess -- having enough confidence in a prospect to trade away a proven veteran holding the same position. And if you receive a good package, as both Minnesota (obviously) and Philadelphia did, it's even better.

Closest we have to this scenario is with our starting pitchers and McCarthy. After that it's a pretty deep dropoff with Fields and Crede. When Garica is traded (I'm positive it'll be him) , I expect a decent package in return. Ideally, a solid reliever and a starting pitching prospect. No way in hell I'll stand for McCarthy staying in the bullpen for another season.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
Umm you have heard of Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez right? They were both UNDRAFTED out of Panama and Venezuela and we developed them into pretty good players.

They were undrafted for a good reason... They couldn't be drafted. The countries they are from are not included in the MLB draft.

Guest JimH
An area which produces such a large percentage of major leaguers has been ignored for nearly a decade. Hard to find Liriano's, Hernandez's, or even Nefi f***in' Perez's when you don't travel. Need more than baseball schools in Venezuela. This is really our only venue to pick up a solid prospect, and we're completely ignoring it.

This is incredibly inaccurate.

Every team would like to import more talent from the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, etc. but to say the White Sox have ignored the area and don't travel there is a blatant misstatement.