Hangar18's Chicago NewsMedia Watch Thread

Hangar18

Just wanted to say hello to everyone here. Ive been documenting the Chicago Media blatant bias against the World Champion White Sox for a number of years. Its been a hot topic the last couple of years, ESPECIALLY in the last couple of weeks. Most casual fans had no idea the lengths and trouble the Chicago Media goes thru to A: Make the SOX look bad and B: Make that north-side team look great.

From constantly comparing the attendance figures between both parks, hiliting the Good (them) and the Bad (always us), the Media Watch is way to shine a light right back on the people who are supposedly in charge of getting and reporting to us the News. The Internal Affairs of sports if you will.

Some of you may know me from the other website, truth be known, I was BANNED for my Media Watches.

Some there feel that if you Ignore the Problem, It will Go Away. (that never works, history tells us so)

Some there feel it important that Everyone Agree with them or Else. Thats not the case here.

If you dont agree. Hallelujah. Its a Democracy!

Media Attention is very important for a baseball team, especially one in a two team city. That other team

is somehow known the world over, for simply, being BAD? Were the Champions, and were going to make sure the SOX get their due. The Deserve It.

Edited by southsider2k5

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH

I agree with Steff, IMO the whole "White Sox are mistreated by the media" topic is stale and overblown, as are the never ending stories about encountering Cub fans and commenting how stupid they are.

But, as you said, it's an open forum and some here may enjoy it. To each their own I guess.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
I agree with Steff, IMO the whole "White Sox are mistreated by the media" topic is stale and overblown, as are the never ending stories about encountering Cub fans and commenting how stupid they are.

But, as you said, it's an open forum and some here may enjoy it. To each their own I guess.

1 other will enjoy it. The others will rip him apart and he'll end up on the ESPN boards... :ph34r:

I don't get it :ph34r:

Frankly, I think we need to stop being whiny b****es and enjoy watching White Sox Baseball. I've never really noticed or have been outraged by local newspaper bias, so either I am blinded by my own stupidity or lack a degenerative 'woe is me' gene necessary to properly view it.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
I don't get it :ph34r:

Frankly, I think some fans need to stop being whiny b****es and enjoy watching White Sox Baseball. I've never really noticed or have been outraged by local newspaper bias, so either I am blinded by my own stupidity or lack a degenerative 'woe is me' gene necessary to properly view it.

^^ :cheers

And I corrected it for ya.

But don't worry. Henry will explain in painful detail why you should be concerned about this. ;)

He was warned that discussing this stuff was allowable, but the members' opinions on the subject is fair game.

I didn't pay too close attention to the stuff at WSI, but I'd say a majority of the Sox fans here are not big fans of discussing the media and a "bias." So just be careful with how indepth you go into this.

But Hangar, we recently started a thread that may be better suited for convo like this. Check it out.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50426

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
^^ :cheers

And I corrected it for ya.

But don't worry. Henry will explain in painful detail why you should be concerned about this. ;)

Yippie!!!!!! Show me the light!

$20 says "Henry's Road House" - sic- will be a new forum around here soon.. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)
Yippie!!!!!! Show me the light!

:whip

Answer your emai!

The media loves to talk about trainwrecks, and the Cubs are one. The Sox have been boring since we've been winning until recently, hence the lack of talk there, pretty simple. And the 2003 point is bulls*** since the Sox weren't a trainwreck at all that year, in fact we had a 2.5 game lead in mid September if I'm not mistaken. The Cubs and Sox will always both be talked about, with a bias towards the Cubs. There is no point fighting it as long as a media monopoly owns the Cubs, all we can do is keep showing up at The Cell, which is what we are seeing this year. However much the media does or doesn't cover the Sox won't affect my enjoyment of them.

Question. Whats the Bigger sports story in Chicago Illinois?

A: The SOX who are 1.5 games out of 1st Place?

OR

B: The Cubs who are 1.5 games out of Last Place?

If you said B, you would be correct, unfortuneately. The SOX find themselves with the dubious distinction of being Champions of the baseball world, but Cellar Dwellars in regards to Media Coverage. Im sure everyone knows that other team is owned by the Tribune, which owns other newspapers and tv stations and radio stations around the country, so that pretty much explains it.

Chris DeLuca does a story today, and instead of telling everyone to HANG ON, the SOX are only 1.5 games out and they can take the lead and the division soon enough, INSTEAD decides to tell everyone to HANG ON, the other team is only 13.5 games out, and they can take the lead and the division soon enough.

The White SOX, despite Winning the World Series in 2005, and being only the 5th team in MLB history to lead from wire-to-wire, find themselves INEXPLICABLY lagging in attention from the Media, to a team

that is currently as close to last place as the SOX are to 1st Place. ridiculous.

Chicago Tribune:

4 cub stories

3 sox stories

Chicago SunTimes:

6 cub stories

3 sox stories

Standings as of Thursday June 1st, 2006

Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th place in 2005 Cubs 507

Underdogs in Chicago, Media Ignored, WS Champions in 2005 SOX 414

Edited by Hangar18

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
Media Attention is very important for a baseball team, especially one in a two team city. That other team

is somehow known the world over, for simply, being BAD? Were the Champions, and were going to make sure the SOX get their due. The Deserve It.

I remember last fall an entire network (FOX) devoted their post-season coverage to our team. :D

We've gotten our due...you need to get over it.

I guess some people hate the Cubs more than they love the Sox

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
Question. Whats the Bigger sports story in Chicago Illinois?

A: The SOX who are 1.5 games out of 1st Place?

OR

B: The Cubs who are 1.5 games out of Last Place?

If you said B, you would be correct, unfortuneately. The SOX find themselves with the dubious distinction of being Champions of the baseball world, but Cellar Dwellars in regards to Media Coverage. Im sure everyone knows that other team is owned by the Tribune, which owns other newspapers and tv stations and radio stations around the country, so that pretty much explains it.

Chris DeLuca does a story today, and instead of telling everyone to HANG ON, the SOX are only 1.5 games out and they can take the lead and the division soon enough, INSTEAD decides to tell everyone to HANG ON, the other team is only 13.5 games out, and they can take the lead and the division soon enough.

The White SOX, despite Winning the World Series in 2005, and being only the 5th team in MLB history to lead from wire-to-wire, find themselves INEXPLICABLY lagging in attention from the Media, to a team

that is currently as close to last place as the SOX are to 1st Place. ridiculous.

Chicago Tribune:

4 cub stories

3 sox stories

Chicago SunTimes:

6 cub stories

3 sox stories

Standings as of Thursday June 1st, 2006

Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th place in 2005 Cubs 507

Underdogs in Chicago, Media Ignored, WS Champions in 2005 SOX 414

If I dropped a box of toothpicks could you tell me how many were spread out on the floor, instantly?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
This is the type of thing that breeds stereotypes and keeps old ones alive . . .

Speaking of stereotypes, I was in San Diego a couple years ago for the SOX Padres series.

We chatted with a couple of Padre fans before the game, and they were very impressed at the fact

that SOX fans very very knowledgable about their team (padres) and baseball in general. They were surprised at the number of SOX fans that were at the games also.

One of them commented that he had heard that SOX fans were bare-chested, field-running, umpire-beating, unintelligent hooligans who dont go to the park. Was nice to see 5 Stereotypes all proven untrue

in one fell swoop

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
Speaking of stereotypes, I was in San Diego a couple years ago for the SOX Padres series.

We chatted with a couple of Padre fans before the game, and they were very impressed at the fact

that SOX fans very very knowledgable about their team (padres) and baseball in general. They were surprised at the number of SOX fans that were at the games also.

One of them commented that he had heard that SOX fans were bare-chested, field-running, umpire-beating, unintelligent hooligans who dont go to the park. Was nice to see 5 Stereotypes all proven untrue

in one fell swoop

And yet you keep the inferiority complex stereotype alive.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
If I dropped a box of toothpicks could you tell me how many were spread out on the floor, instantly?

I sure could. Id look at the BOX and if it said "500 Toothpicks", id instantly tell you 500.

snore.

maybe the cubs had a few more stories because they made a trade yesterday, they have injured players who are on the road to recovery, and people like to b**** and moan?

give me one story about a white sox winner, and 5 about a cubs loser, and im happy... get over it.