Hangar18's Chicago NewsMedia Watch Thread

Hangar18

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
snore.

maybe the cubs had a few more stories ...........

Actually, its 93 more stories. Id like less AJ Bashing stories. people read this stuff worldwide and start to believe it. Therein lies the danger about the printed word. You guys are probably right. As soon as the SOX start winning and Win a World Series, they'll get the media coverage ...........wait,

we did win already didnt we? :P

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the WS the sox fan has a new identity. and its hard for us to give up old hobbies/habits. But just like most of us moved on with wearing cuck the fubs, on days the sox don’t play the cubs. So should you with getting mad a lack of coverage.

All of the silly bickering is over from a sox perspective. This use to be a town where we argued about who is the tallest midget. But were not a midget anymore. Were defending kings of baseball

QUOTE(whitem0nkey @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
But were not a midgets anymore. Were defending kings of baseball

........Agreed. The SOX should and deserve to be treated with the Respect and Coverage that is accorded to a team that Just WON the World Series. What they receive now is criminal.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
snore.

maybe the cubs had a few more stories because they made a trade yesterday, they have injured players who are on the road to recovery, and people like to b**** and moan?

give me one story about a white sox winner, and 5 about a cubs loser, and im happy... get over it.

So if this guy posts one of these every day, and some of us are interested to see what the actual numbers are, will there be 5-10 posts every day saying "Yawn, this doesn't matter, etc."

If for no reason other than curiosity, I'd say that it's interesting to keep track of these numbers. If people don't care, then they don't have to read the threads. Sound like a fair deal?

(Note, not a specific response to Steve, just sort of used his post as an example. No offense).

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
Question. Whats the Bigger sports story in Chicago Illinois?

A: The SOX who are 1.5 games out of 1st Place?

OR

B: The Cubs who are 1.5 games out of Last Place?

If you said B, you would be correct, unfortuneately. The SOX find themselves with the dubious distinction of being Champions of the baseball world, but Cellar Dwellars in regards to Media Coverage. Im sure everyone knows that other team is owned by the Tribune, which owns other newspapers and tv stations and radio stations around the country, so that pretty much explains it.

Chris DeLuca does a story today, and instead of telling everyone to HANG ON, the SOX are only 1.5 games out and they can take the lead and the division soon enough, INSTEAD decides to tell everyone to HANG ON, the other team is only 13.5 games out, and they can take the lead and the division soon enough.

The White SOX, despite Winning the World Series in 2005, and being only the 5th team in MLB history to lead from wire-to-wire, find themselves INEXPLICABLY lagging in attention from the Media, to a team

that is currently as close to last place as the SOX are to 1st Place. ridiculous.

Chicago Tribune:

4 cub stories

3 sox stories

Chicago SunTimes:

6 cub stories

3 sox stories

Standings as of Thursday June 1st, 2006

Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th place in 2005 Cubs 507

Underdogs in Chicago, Media Ignored, WS Champions in 2005 SOX 414

Welocme to the dark side Henry! :cheers

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
Let Henry do his magic, there are many here who are interested in his work.

I find his research fascinating.

For the media there's always a reason to talk about the Cubs.

Cubs suck? Well they have to talk about how bad they suck and what they need to do better.

Cubs are kicking ass? They will talk about how great the Cubs are (see 2003)

Cubs mediocre? They will talk about what they need to do to kick ass.

Sox kicking ass? Not much to say since all they do is win (see 2005)

Sox suck? Who cares since they suck.

Sox playing mediocre? Once again who cares.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
I find his research fascinating.

facinating = creepy

:ph34r:

:lolhitting

Who's side are you taking on this one...? Ilk or the alien. :lol:

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 06:07 PM)
So if this guy posts one of these every day, and some of us are interested to see what the actual numbers are, will there be 5-10 posts every day saying "Yawn, this doesn't matter, etc."

If for no reason other than curiosity, I'd say that it's interesting to keep track of these numbers. If people don't care, then they don't have to read the threads.

exactly

seriously, in the words to the great and late bill hicks....

"your right, not them! don't let those cock sucks try and tell you whats GOOD!!! YOUR RIGHT! (if you dont like something) Just say PEICE OF s***... and WALK AWAY!"

I like the media watches, mainly because I've already given up on the Cubune anyways.

There's a 'who cares' attitude towards the media, well I have the same one towards what other people think, especially if they're dumb enough to be Cubs fans. It's hard to avoid the Cubs in this city (media forces it down your throat), friends who are Cubs fans rip on the Sox, so I will rip back. Yes, I hate the Cubs, and no it doesn't make me less of a Sox fan, doesn't take precedence over being a Sox fan, doesn't mean I care more about the Cubs than I do the Sox (and if you think so, tell me how you measured that, because I'd be fascinated), and doesn't mean that I equally don't hate the Indians, Twins, Tigers,etc.

From his threads at WSI, I could tell that Hangar is a great Sox fan (better than many I've seen post there), but he gets the shaft just because he hates the Cubs.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)

If for no reason other than curiosity, I'd say that it's interesting to keep track of these numbers. If people don't care, then they don't have to read the threads. Sound like a fair deal?

Yep, agree. I mean, if you're homophobic, would you go into a gay club? :bang

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
Question. Whats the Bigger sports story in Chicago Illinois?

A: The SOX who are 1.5 games out of 1st Place?

OR

B: The Cubs who are 1.5 games out of Last Place?

If you said B, you would be correct, unfortuneately. The SOX find themselves with the dubious distinction of being Champions of the baseball world, but Cellar Dwellars in regards to Media Coverage. Im sure everyone knows that other team is owned by the Tribune, which owns other newspapers and tv stations and radio stations around the country, so that pretty much explains it.

Chris DeLuca does a story today, and instead of telling everyone to HANG ON, the SOX are only 1.5 games out and they can take the lead and the division soon enough, INSTEAD decides to tell everyone to HANG ON, the other team is only 13.5 games out, and they can take the lead and the division soon enough.

The White SOX, despite Winning the World Series in 2005, and being only the 5th team in MLB history to lead from wire-to-wire, find themselves INEXPLICABLY lagging in attention from the Media, to a team

that is currently as close to last place as the SOX are to 1st Place. ridiculous.

Chicago Tribune:

4 cub stories

3 sox stories

Chicago SunTimes:

6 cub stories

3 sox stories

Standings as of Thursday June 1st, 2006

Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th place in 2005 Cubs 507

Underdogs in Chicago, Media Ignored, WS Champions in 2005 SOX 414

welcome aboard :cheers

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
Yep, agree. I mean, if you're homophobic, would you go into a gay club? :bang

POTM material right there.. LMAO!!

But seriously.. this happens in nearly every thread here. For pete's sake we can't have a positive Frank thread without someone coming on in and trashing his ass. Same analogy works there. If you write it, someone will comment on it....

You are aware that all media is biased. Wars, politics, no matter what it is biased. Secondly, the cubs are owned by a large media source, of course their stories are going to be focused towards their team. Their isnt any law against that. You want unbiased reporting? Start your own newspaper.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
the cubs are owned by a large media source, of course their stories are going to be focused towards their team.

How do you explain the Sun Times disparity?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)

I can explain both disparities. The Cubs sell. Why don't you see the WNBA on the front page, while you see the Bulls on the front page for everything? Why doesn't soccer get any coverage, while football owns the newspapers year round? I don't call it bias as much as filling demand.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)

Who freaking cares, how about the southtown's disparity, how about Comcast's WGN's?

Who gives a rats ass. If you are counting the number of stories per paper daily, you either need a woman, or need a hobby.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
Who freaking cares, how about the southtown's disparity, how about Comcast's WGN's?

Who gives a rats ass. If you are counting the number of stories per paper daily, you either need a woman, or need a hobby.

How about a woman with a hobby?