Is it time for a 3rd party?

southsider2k5

We would have to endure years of gridlock. Having a third party would increase the number of political deal making to get anything though Congress. Be careful what you wish for. I'm not a huge fan of either party, but it's better than a three way mess.

Now if it would result in one of the parties folding their circus tent, then maybe we have something . . .

What would be even better is if the voting public would shed the party labels and not defend asshattery just because it's from "their" party or have an all or nothing approach to their party.

Short term, yes, it's "bad", but SOMETHING has to happen. Neither party stands for "mainstream America" anymore, they both have to suck the schlongs of their extremists to get the real money. It's freaking nausaiating. It's time for a REAL representation of what most of us think out here. (Special thanks to Iggy for the insight... ahem).

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
Short term, yes, it's "bad", but SOMETHING has to happen. Neither party stands for "mainstream America" anymore, they both have to suck the schlongs of their extremists to get the real money. It's freaking nausaiating. It's time for a REAL representation of what most of us think out here. (Special thanks to Iggy for the insight... ahem).

They are reflecting mainstream America. Republicans and Democrats will defend anything their party does. We are getting what we deserve. Hear something anti-GOP? It's the liberal media. Hear something Anti-Democrat, it gets defended.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
They are reflecting mainstream America. Republicans and Democrats will defend anything their party does. We are getting what we deserve. Hear something anti-GOP? It's the liberal media. Hear something Anti-Democrat, it gets defended.

We DESERVE this? What the **** planet are you from?

We can't get any better because the corporations, etc. have bought the entire government.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)

Oh that's rich. Or maybe the problem is that most people lacking an alternative like themeselves latch onto the closest thing they can find, defending it because they view the alternative as even worse than their ill-fitting party choice they were forced into?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
Oh that's rich. Or maybe the problem is that most people lacking an alternative like themeselves latch onto the closest thing they can find, defending it because they view the alternative as even worse than their ill-fitting party choice they were forced into?

DING.

They ALL suck. It's just I feel that one party sucks less then the other.

I read this and all I can think about is this...

Arise ye workers [starvelings] from your slumbers

Arise ye prisoners of want

For reason in revolt now thunders

And at last ends the age of cant.

Away with all your superstitions

Servile masses arise, arise

We'll change henceforth [forthwith] the old tradition [conditions]

And spurn the dust to win the prize.

So comrades, come rally

And the last fight let us face

The Internationale unites the human race.

So comrades, come rally

And the last fight let us face

The Internationale unites the human race.

No more deluded by reaction

On tyrants only we'll make war

The soldiers too will take strike action

They'll break ranks and fight no more

And if those cannibals keep trying

To sacrifice us to their pride

They soon shall hear the bullets flying

We'll shoot the generals on our own side.

No saviour from on high delivers

No faith have we in prince or peer

Our own right hand the chains must shiver

Chains of hatred, greed and fear

E'er the thieves will out with their booty [give up their booty]

And give to all a happier lot.

Each [those] at the forge must do their duty

And we'll strike while the iron is hot.

decisions are made by those who show up.

so anyone, and I mean anyone, who sits and b****es, moans, complains about the government without voting themselves is a complete hypocrite. we do have the power here. we just choose to not utilize it.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:06 PM)
decisions are made by those who show up.

so anyone, and I mean anyone, who sits and b****es, moans, complains about the government without voting themselves is a complete hypocrite. we do have the power here. we just choose to not utilize it.

People are made to believe that they have the power, but do they really?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
People are made to believe that they have the power, but do they really?

Only once they reach an income level such that they can afford their own lobbyist and max-donations.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
We don't need a third party to "help" govern, we need a third party "TO" govern.

I stand by my previous statement.

No one party governs the entire nation unless they control both the Active branches (non-Judicial) by over sixty members in the Senate, to block ANY filibuster.

Otherwise, they all have to work each other and help one another by passing bills along, joining in coalitions, etc. etc.

If you think any one party should fully govern, then go right ahead.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)

No one party governs the entire nation unless they control both the Active branches (non-Judicial) by over sixty members in the Senate, to block ANY filibuster.

Otherwise, they all have to work each other and help one another by passing bills along, joining in coalitions, etc. etc.

We've been about as close as you can possibly get without being all the way there for these last 4 years, and look where that's gotten us.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)

The filibuster is a useless governing mechanism because the democrats don't have the stones to use it. For instance, when an idealogue like Sam Alito(aka Anton Scalia Jr.) was nominated to the Supreme Court.

Edited by MSHAWKS

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
We DESERVE this? What the **** planet are you from?

We can't get any better because the corporations, etc. have bought the entire government.

I'm on the planet where one party screams media bias whenever they f*** up and it gets reported. Then most of their supporters agree. Instead of them looking at the facts, they look at which newspapers are reporting it and look for ways to discredit the report. I'm on the planet where the other party will defend the President of the United States when he has an intern giving him a blow job outside the oval office. Where capturing Bin Laden is secondary to deciding which President f***ed up.

We aren't demanding our own parties shape up, we are just looking for a chance to blow some mole hill into a mountain and "get" the other party.

The planet I would like to be on is the one that demands from their own party good government. That when their party f***s up, they don't blame the reporter, they blame the douchebag politician. When loyal party members stand up and tell their guys to act like leaders or else they will vote someone in, things will change. I want to be on a planet where the politicians honor the other branches, not try and surplant the constitution by labeling anyone who disagrees as a "Activist Judge" or a liberal or conservative wacko.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
We would have to endure years of gridlock. Having a third party would increase the number of political deal making to get anything though Congress. Be careful what you wish for. I'm not a huge fan of either party, but it's better than a three way mess.

Now if it would result in one of the parties folding their circus tent, then maybe we have something . . .

What would be even better is if the voting public would shed the party labels and not defend asshattery just because it's from "their" party or have an all or nothing approach to their party.

A few years of political gridlock might be just the ticket. These two poor excuses of of political parties, so called representives of the American people, are so busy scratching each others back behind closed doors that they don't know how to properly represent the American people any more. Rob the blind, yes. Represent, no. Yes, put a third party, with a third of the power, in Washington. Let the political gravy train come to a grinding halt. Then, we'll get to see who really wants to represent Joe & Jane Citizen. When things come to halt, the stuff that matters to the people will be the only thing that can get accomplished. When the people care enough about something, and nothing is getting done, they'll have to listen. Right now, they can put fiasco legislatation out and say they are doing something, but they aren't doing s*** FOR the American people. Just TO us.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 02:31 AM)
A few years of political gridlock might be just the ticket. These two poor excuses of of political parties, so called representives of the American people, are so busy scratching each others back behind closed doors that they don't know how to properly represent the American people any more. Rob the blind, yes. Represent, no. Yes, put a third party, with a third of the power, in Washington. Let the political gravy train come to a grinding halt. Then, we'll get to see who really wants to represent Joe & Jane Citizen. When things come to halt, the stuff that matters to the people will be the only thing that can get accomplished. When the people care enough about something, and nothing is getting done, they'll have to listen. Right now, they can put fiasco legislatation out and say they are doing something, but they aren't doing s*** FOR the American people. Just TO us.

You are much more optimistic than I. The budget has to pass, to get it to pass, the gravy train would be out of control getting enough votes. We'd see more pork than a Jimmy Dean sausage factory.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
You are much more optimistic than I. The budget has to pass, to get it to pass, the gravy train would be out of control getting enough votes. We'd see more pork than a Jimmy Dean sausage factory.

You may be right. But, what we have now totally sucks.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 02:31 AM)
You may be right. But, what we have now totally sucks.

I know Kap will disgaree, but to fix this we need Dems to fix Dems and Reps to fix Reps. Not make excuses, but grab back their parties. Until then, we get what we deserve. Too many will vote for a douchbag from their party instead of a person of higher character from the other. And I believe we are better off with elected leaders of high character over politics.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 05:24 AM)
I know Kap will disgaree, but to fix this we need Dems to fix Dems and Reps to fix Reps. Not make excuses, but grab back their parties. Until then, we get what we deserve. Too many will vote for a douchbag from their party instead of a person of higher character from the other. And I believe we are better off with elected leaders of high character over politics.

LOL. Who was the last "person of higher character" who made it onto a Presidential Election ballot for the two major parties? Maybe Bob Dole? Michael Dukakis? Jimmy Carter?