Carl Crawford

Sox1422

Crawford has a great contract and the D-Ray's outfield is crowded. He should become available by the trade deadline. What do you think it would cost the Sox to get him?

From what I hear the Rays want young pitchers.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
Is that all it would take? If that is the case then count me in.

We'd be giving up one of the better young pitchers in the game, and easily our best power hitting prospect. If you make a trade like that, you better hope the payroll stays above 100 million.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
Didnt the Rays want a boatload for Huff last year? I know there under different ownership, but I have always been under the impression that its hard to get a deal done with the Rays.

Crawford would be great, but once again, not the most pressing need.

Yes they did ask for a buttload for Huff...but they also let Baez go without getting a buttload in return (which is what they were asking for under the old ownership as well).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Fields and McCarthy. To be honest, I think Rocco is more likely going to be available for a trade.

You Really think they would want McCarthy, personally i would think they would want someone along the lines of Broadway, the clock hasn't started on him. But i digress i too would love to see Crawford on the sox.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
not the most pressing need.

What do you feel is the most pressing need? the bullpen? IMO i dont think it is, move McCarthy into Cliff's role and then Bam!, McCarthy gets more work and has better stuff and we fix the issue of the bullpen in one quick move. i truly think Cliff makes the bullpen look that bad.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
You Really think they would want McCarthy, personally i would think they would want someone along the lines of Broadway, the clock hasn't started on him. But i digress i too would love to see Crawford on the sox.

If they want McCarthy...the conversation ends. That simple. They can ask for anyone else but him.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 07:17 PM)
Yea i agree McCarthy is way too Much to ask, we've already seen that he can be dominating.

I was thinking more along the lines of Broadway and Fields. Crawford is signed under a deal that would keep him a Sox until 2011 and never pay him more than 10 million (final year option) I think he make betweeen 2-4 mill now.

QUOTE(Sox1422 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)
I was thinking more along the lines of Broadway and Fields. Crawford is signed under a deal that would keep him a Sox until 2011 and never pay him more than 10 million (final year option) I think he make betweeen 2-4 mill now.

i have no problem giving up fields and broadway for someone like Crawford. For every 50 prospects drafted 4%(2players) make it to the show and of those two players how many actually become impact players?

QUOTE(Sox1422 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)

If we're talking about getting Crawford, clearly including Anderson or Sweeney in that deal becomes a logical move, for exactly that reason. We'd have control of Crawford for 5 more years or so, which would leave us with Sweeney, Anderson, Crawford, Podsednik, Fields, Owens and Dye as potential outfielders for the team for the next few years, with Crawford and Podsednik not going anywhere for a while. We'd have more outfielders than we could deal with, so one of those two guys would be a logical element to include.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
i have no problem giving up fields and broadway for someone like Crawford. For every 50 prospects drafted 4%(2players) make it to the show and of those two players how many actually become impact players?

What is the number for first round picks?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
If we're talking about getting Crawford, clearly including Anderson or Sweeney in that deal becomes a logical move, for exactly that reason. We'd have control of Crawford for 5 more years or so, which would leave us with Sweeney, Anderson, Crawford, Podsednik, Fields, Owens and Dye as potential outfielders for the team for the next few years, with Crawford and Podsednik not going anywhere for a while. We'd have more outfielders than we could deal with, so one of those two guys would be a logical element to include.

What is the number for first round picks?

That would make sense except the D-Rays are stacked with OFs between both the MLB and Milb level, Baldelli, Crawford and Joey Gathright all are 25 or under. Then you have Elijah Dukes, & Delmon Young. i would think they would want Fields/Rogo & Broadway or something along those lines.

Crawford is great, probably can play CF, and if the Sox sent Anderson back for more seasoning in Charlotte with the intention of bringing him back up in 2007, could slide into LF and make Pods trade bait. I mentioned him a week or so ago, but I don't think KW would trade for him. He'd would have to give up a lot, and leave the Sox with very little to dangle if they have more holes to fill, as well as handcuff them financially. Anderson's lack of hitting is not the problem with this team. Fix the bullpen enough where if McCarthy has to start for Garcia or Garland, which I believe is likely to happen, you can have something out there for the 6th and 7th inning that won't let the game get away. Pick up someone you can and will actually use in Gload's spot. See if anyone is stupid enough to take Politte off your hands. Thome, Konerko and Dye aren't going to be able to all hit 45 homers this season. The offense is going to slow down. KW needs some more pitching in the bullpen to slow down the opposition.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
That would make sense except the D-Rays are stacked with OFs between both the MLB and Milb level, Baldelli, Crawford and Joey Gathright all are 25 or under. Then you have Elijah Dukes, & Delmon Young. i would think they would want Fields/Rogo & Broadway or something along those lines.

Given who's in front of Rogowski at this point, including him in a deal would be absolutely ideal.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
Given who's in front of Rogowski at this point, including him in a deal would be absolutely ideal.

He has almost as many steals this season as Owens. My how Jerry Owens' star has faded. KW was beeming about him at Soxfest, calling him a CF.

Give them Garland and Anderson. CC can hit #2 (and steal bases) and move Gooch to 6.

Pods (L)

CC (L)

Thome (L)

Konerko ®

Dye ®

Gooch (the second leadoff man) ®

Crede ®

AJP (L)

Uribe/Cintron/Mac (R/S/L)

We would hit them with so many lefts they would be praying for a right.

Starters

MB

JC

FG

JV

BM

They would never do it but, it would be nice.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
Give them Garland and Anderson. CC can hit #2 (and steal bases) and move Gooch to 6.

Pods (L)

CC (L)

Thome (L)

Konerko ®

Dye ®

Crede ®

AJP (L)

Starters

MB

JC

FG

JV

BM

That's the other problem. The line-up becomes almost too left-handed. Especially since the bench is mostly lefty.

Carl Crawford would be worth a Fields or other minor leaguers. He has proven he can hit major league pitching. He is fast as hell. As a lefty he hits lefties at good clip(.311). If we can get him, it makes our team much more dangerous if that is possible from an offensive standpoint.

On the other hand we need a right handed setup guy more than we need carl crawford.

But anyone who claims we cant trade x prospect because x is too valuable is mistaken. Jeremy Reed, Joe Borchard and the rest say Hi.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
Its certainly not the O. The offense is going to get into its share of slumps, but for the most part, 1-7 can go up with pretty much anyone. 8 and 9 is a weakpoint, but im really not sure how many games its actaully costing us.

The starting pitching has not been there like it was in 05, but its hard to expect the exact same numbers. Our 1-5 can also go up with anyone, so im not really sure where you could make an actaul improvement this season.

Then we come to the bullpen. Cliff has been brutal this season(I am one of the biggest Cliff fans around) Mac has been inconsistant at best, and im still not sure what to expect when Cotts steps on the bump. Thornton has been really, really solid as of late, but can he keep it up? Who knows how much Nelson has left in the tank. Bob has been the only one we can really count on, and thats not enough. If Kenny can get another right handed reliever in the pen, someone we can really count on, it pushes bascailly everyone back into easier roles, and makes the whole pen that much stronger.

I think what it all boils down to is playing better fundimental baseball. Every Sox fan who watches this team EVERY GAME can tell you they are not playing the way they can, its fairly obvious. Mental mistakes, bad execution, and somewhat lazy play. If these can really turn it on and start playing 05 baseball, everything could work itself out..

Truthfully i think having a lack of a Complete CF is killing us, Mackowiak got hot with his bat, but sucks in CF, and Anderson is amazing with the Glove but is out matched at the plate at this moment its a catch 22(and not the ska band).

I agree it would be wrong to expect the same results as the 05 staff. But having a legit 4/5 starter in Vazquez and Garland makes us the deepest in baseball.

I truly think Matt Thornton has turned a corner and a big one at that, just watching him in Spring Training after we had him for a week you could see the drastic improvement with Coop. Also as stated in that recent article hes moving onto Phase II of burying hitters when he gets ahead. Cotts is good hes posting a 2.91ERA, and Jenks is Filthy simple as that. I too don't know how much Nelson has left in his tank but i think its enough to be a ROOGY, and Cliff needs to be moved into the mop up role stat.

also I feel that this team is under achiveing and has gotten away from fundamental baseball. even with the second best record in baseball they are better than this.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)

Pods (L)

CC (L)

Thome (L)

Konerko ®

Dye ®

Crede ®

AJP (L)

Starters

MB

JC

FG

JV

BM

GARLAND CANNOT BE TRADED. HIS CONTRACT INCLUDES A NO TRADE CLAUSE THIS YEAR.

(maybe if I put it in caps, people will realize it)

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
But anyone who claims we cant trade x prospect because x is too valuable is mistaken. Jeremy Reed, Joe Borchard and the rest say Hi.

As long as the X is not Brandon McCarthy, I agree.