Carl Crawford

Sox1422

Ozzie comments on Podsednik's defense could mean a lot.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt19.html

If Anderson hits .250 + the rest of the year, he's a keeper with his defense. If Brian tanks again, I could see the sox making a run at Crawford for CF this year. They don't seem impressed with an OF of Pods in LF and Mack in CF, and they shouldn't be. Getting a guy like Crawford could mean Pods would be replaced for 2007, with Anderson in CF.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a team thats completely under the radar as far as Crawford goes is the Marlins. If the marlins did get Crawford, this team would easily be in contention this year(as if they aren't already, ;)) and it would keep the marlins in contention for the next 6-8 years (provided they were able to extend him).

Crawford L

Hanley R

Cabrera R

Jacobs L

Uggla R

Hermida L

Olivo R

Willingham L

P

That is an incredibly balanced line up, and a constant offensive threat both in the batters box and on the base paths. It would be very hard for a manager over the course of a series to play the "match up game".

I would give the rays the following for him: Nolasco, Petit & Hernandez. they're so stacked in young talented pitching it is rediculous. In return they would get Carl Crawford.

The rays are in a position of strength with their OF but at the same time its a quagmire, they've got Dukes, & Young in the wings and they're not getting any younger. This deal if it happened would be too teams dealing from their respective strengths, it would help both teams out in the interim and for many years to come.

and by the way this is his contract situation

deal for 2005 season worth 370K was renewed on 3/11/05- + he could earn 20K in bonuses for reaching 500PA- + signed 4-year deal worth 15.25M on 4/1/05 that superceded deal for 2005 season- + he receives a 500K signing bonus and salaries of 500K in 2005, 2.5M in 2006, 4M in 2007, and 5.25M in 2008- + the deal includes a Team Option for 2009 worth 8.25M or a 2.5M buyout- + if the 2009 option is exercised, then a Team Option for 2010 worth 10M or a 1.25M buyout is added- + 2010 option value could rise to 11.5M based on various escalators, including one for AL MVP votes- + as part of the deal, he will donate up to 400K to the Rays of Hope Foundation- + if traded, he receives a bonus worth up to 800K

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 08:20 AM)
With as much as its rumored the Rays are asking for Crawford... the guy I would really love to see the Sox shoot for is Vernon Wells....not sure if Toronto would even consider trading him...

Not a chance they would. They've sunk a lot of money into trying to compete, so I doubt they're going to just up and trade one of they're most key cogs to competing.

Oh, and the rumor I've been hearing most prominently about Crawford is Ervin Santana to Tampa for Carl. Anyone think there's any chance a Fields + Lumpy package would beat that out, and is there a chance Kenny Williams might do that? Crawford could play CF this year and maybe next year, but would eventually be replacing Pods in LF, which is why I like the idea of trading for him so much.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
With as much as its rumored the Rays are asking for Crawford... the guy I would really love to see the Sox shoot for is Vernon Wells....not sure if Toronto would even consider trading him...

Why would a team in contention trade its best player?

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 08:59 AM)
Oh, and the rumor I've been hearing most prominently about Crawford is Ervin Santana to Tampa for Carl.

That has as much of a chance of happening as the Twins trading Liriano for Crawford. There's no way that the Angels trade away their future ace for Kenny Lofton Jr.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
If we where to get crawford it would take 1 MLB ready pitcher Haeger/McCarthy + 1 CI Rogo/Fields + one lower pitching prospect Lumsden/Harrel/Tracey

I wouldn't mind a Fields + Lumpy + Haeger package.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
That has as much of a chance of happening as the Twins trading Liriano for Crawford. There's no way that the Angels trade away their future ace for Kenny Lofton Jr.

Who said anything about Jered Weaver? I said they're offering Santana.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
I read somewhere where Tampa really has no interest in trading Crawford. They would much rather trade Rocco. If KW wants Crawford, the package would have to start with McCarthy.

Ive only heard the complete opposite...

I just read in an ESPN Insider article today (Jayson Stark FWIW) that Tampa supposedly is interested in getting 3 or 4 youngster for him, focusing on high-ceiling prospects and younger big leaguers, with the emphasis being on pitching. In other words, they're going to find a hard time getting a taker.

Judging by that, I'd imagine that their asking price would be B-Mac and two of our pitching prospects, and I wouldn't call most of ours high ceiling.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
Who said anything about Jered Weaver? I said they're offering Santana.

Ervin Santana has absolutely filthy stuff (7-3, 1.14 WHIP this season) and will probably be one of the better pitchers in the AL in a few years. There's no way that the Angels deal him, especially when he's dirt-cheap. Crawford is a base-stealing monster and plays good defense, but doesn't hit for power, strikes out a lot, never walks, and his .320 career OBP is very low for a top-of-the-order hitter. In other words, he isn't worth a future ace.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
Ervin Santana has absolutely filthy stuff (7-3, 1.14 WHIP this season) and will probably be one of the better pitchers in the AL in a few years. There's no way that the Angels deal him, especially when he's dirt-cheap. Crawford is a base-stealing monster and plays good defense, but doesn't hit for power, strikes out way too much, and his .320 career OBP is very low for a top-of-the-order hitter. In other words, he isn't worth a future ace.

You seem to be much higher on Ervin Santana than most people are, Jared Weaver is a much better bet than Santana to be future ace. Also, the it seems the D-Rays have been the ones who are reluctant to make any sort of deal involving Santana, they want more in return.

It doesn't seem you've followed Crawford all that closely either, he's WAY better than you portray him to be. The guy is only 24 years old and already has a world of experience, he's improved upon his OBP big time this year, he's began taking more pitches and working counts nicely and thus has an OBP 41 points higher than his AVG which is quite an improvement for him. 2 things that will come with age for him is power (already has 10 HRs this year, it's amazing how his power has been improving over the past few seasons, 10 then 15 now he's on pace for over 20 also with age he is gaining plate discipline. As he continues to get ABs he's learning to work counts and take walks.

The guy is turning into an absolute stud with an incredibly affordable long term contract, he'll be much more valuable than a guy like Santana in the long run if both of thier career paths go about according to plan.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
You seem to be much higher on Ervin Santana than most people are, Jared Weaver is a much better bet than Santana to be future ace. Also, the it seems the D-Rays have been the ones who are reluctant to make any sort of deal involving Santana, they want more in return.

It doesn't seem you've followed Crawford all that closely either, he's WAY better than you portray him to be. The guy is only 24 years old and already has a world of experience, he's improved upon his OBP big time this year, he's began taking more pitches and working counts nicely and thus has an OBP 41 points higher than his AVG which is quite an improvement for him. 2 things that will come with age for him is power (already has 10 HRs this year, it's amazing how his power has been improving over the past few seasons, 10 then 15 now he's on pace for over 20 also with age he is gaining plate discipline. As he continues to get ABs he's learning to work counts and take walks.

The guy is turning into an absolute stud with an incredibly affordable long term contract, he'll be much more valuable than a guy like Santana in the long run if both of thier career paths go about according to plan.

I'm aware of Crawford's talent, but it's not like he's the second coming of Griffey, either. And these improved statistics that you're reporting barely cover 1/3 of a season. I'm sure that he'll develop into a very good player, but a starter with Santana's stuff is worth more to a team in the long run. And if the Devil Rays actually want MORE than Santana for Crawford, they're dreaming.

Ervin Santana is only in his second year and he's already put up a 1.14 WHIP with a K/BB ratio of almost 3. He throws a 95-96 MPH fastball and has great offspeed stuff, including a really good hook that he locates well. I wouldn't put him up there with Felix Hernandez, but his upside is comparable to Liriano's and, IMO, higher than B-Mac's. And considering that the Angels lost Washburn in the offseason, Jeff Weaver has been a bust, and that Colon has had a ton of injury problems, they'd be flat-out stupid to trade Santana.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
I just read in an ESPN Insider article today (Jayson Stark FWIW) that Tampa supposedly is interested in getting 3 or 4 youngster for him, focusing on high-ceiling prospects and younger big leaguers, with the emphasis being on pitching. In other words, they're going to find a hard time getting a taker.

Judging by that, I'd imagine that their asking price would be B-Mac and two of our pitching prospects, and I wouldn't call most of ours high ceiling.

Quit putting BMac in the package. Any package the Sox would send would have Fields as the centerpiece IMO, and the DRays are interested in getting great future CI as well as SP.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)

Nicely put. People may think Crawford is close to 30 because it seems like he's been in the league for a while but the guy is very young and a stud...that is only getting better.

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=skinny_061906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&league=fantasy/mlb

According to one source, the Angels low-balled Tampa Bay, offering starter Ervin Santana straight up for Crawford. Ultimately, it will take a number of top prospects, along with a frontline starter, in order for a deal to get done considering he is one of the premiere all-around threats, and only 25 years of age.

You guys might as well forget about fantasizing having Crawford on our team. It is a beautiful dream though.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
Quit putting BMac in the package. Any package the Sox would send would have Fields as the centerpiece IMO, and the DRays are interested in getting great future CI as well as SP.

I never said I wanted to trade B-Mac, but that seems to be what they are asking for. They want a young potential stud starter along with at least one other stud prospect (although they are currently aiming for more). Their focus is clearly on starting pitching, not position players. Just look at the post above mine for more evidence.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(S720 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)
http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=skinny_061906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&league=fantasy/mlb

You guys might as well forget about fantasizing having Crawford on our team. It is a beautiful dream though.

Number of top line prospects, done, Fields, Broadway, whoever. Top starter, s*** give them anyone but MB, count and BMAC.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
They want a young potential stud starter along with at least one other stud prospect (although they are currently aiming for more).

So, they expect somebody like King Felix or Liriano PLUS a stud prospect... or three or four... for Crawford? And anything else is "low-balling" them? GMAFB. :rolly

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
So, they expect somebody like King Felix or Liriano PLUS a stud prospect... or three or four... for Crawford? And anything else is "low-balling" them? GMAFB. :rolly

No they really don't expect that much, Santana is seriously no where near the level of Hernandez or Liriano. They want a guy like Santana then another spect like Brandon Wood or 2-3 other lesser prospects which is a s*** load but in the end is about even. You are seriously under rating Crawford, a lot of players at his age are still in AAA, he's playing in All-Star games. They're asking for a large package of very good prospects for their stud OF, I wouldn't expect them to ask for any less.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
I'm aware of Crawford's talent, but it's not like he's the second coming of Griffey, either. And these improved statistics that you're reporting barely cover 1/3 of a season. I'm sure that he'll develop into a very good player, but a starter with Santana's stuff is worth more to a team in the long run. And if the Devil Rays actually want MORE than Santana for Crawford, they're dreaming.

Ervin Santana is only in his second year and he's already put up a 1.14 WHIP with a K/BB ratio of almost 3. He throws a 95-96 MPH fastball and has great offspeed stuff, including a really good hook that he locates well. I wouldn't put him up there with Felix Hernandez, but his upside is comparable to Liriano's and, IMO, higher than B-Mac's. And considering that the Angels lost Washburn in the offseason, Jeff Weaver has been a bust, and that Colon has had a ton of injury problems, they'd be flat-out stupid to trade Santana.

your right its not Griffey, its Roberto Clemente/Tony Gwynn/Pete Rose, get it right.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
What do you feel is the most pressing need? the bullpen? IMO i dont think it is, move McCarthy into Cliff's role and then Bam!, McCarthy gets more work and has better stuff and we fix the issue of the bullpen in one quick move. i truly think Cliff makes the bullpen look that bad.

Thank God they got Riske and put that idea to rest.