Carl Crawford

Sox1422

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 08:59 PM)
Anderson is a "keeper", even if the Sox would receive Crawford in return? What was that you were saying about me losing my job as a GM? :rolly

Anderson is the long term answer in CF. Crawford would be the long term answer in LF.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
Anderson is the long term answer in CF. Crawford would be the long term answer in LF.

Yes, but we're trying to win now, not three years from now when Anderson learns how to hit major-league pitching. Any major-league GM would gladly give away Anderson (even if it means Mackowiak in CF for half a season) for Crawford.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
Not always the case. I could see Garcia being dealt if the Sox paid for most of his salary. I highly doubt that Kenny will move anyone in our starting rotation...at least right now. During the off-season I really think Freddy is gone.

CWSOX45

When has KW made a deal where he's had to pick up salary for another team's player? Ever?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
Yes, but we're trying to win now, not three years from now when Anderson learns how to hit major-league pitching. Any major-league GM would gladly give away Anderson (even if it means Mackowiak in CF for half a season) for Crawford.

If, [and it's a great big if], the sox traded for Crawford this yr, it's likely he'd play CF [and Anderson would go to AAA and get his stick back on track]. If Anderson continues hitting, he'd stick, and Pods could be dealt with Ozzie and Co. not impressed with his defense and sub .250 avg [that Ozzie publicly called him out for taking his poor AB's into the field]. LF is Crawford's best position. And he'd be a ready made Pods replacement

Yet Crawford would likely play LF and Anderson CF for the start of 2007. Anderson will hit in the major leagues. He's shown his value as a defensive player in CF. With the Sox high priced starters, they have to get a few young position players who can contribute on the cheap. KW has said he wants to win now. But not at the expense of his future. Trading away Anderson would be trading away the future.

Does this team really even need to make a move at the trading deadline? We got the bullpen arm we need in David Riske and our bullpen as a whole has been great as of late. We got all the SP we need and even if one of the 5 goes down we have a backup starter. Our offense has been great the whole season a lot better than last season. And our bench has been great as well. Brian Anderson has struggled at the plate but he cant get worse really and Ozzie has said he is our CF and Anderson's defense has been great. Also while Pods struggled Pablo has shown he is fully capable of filling in.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
If, [and it's a great big if], the sox traded for Crawford this yr, it's likely he'd play CF [and Anderson would go to AAA and get his stick back on track]. If Anderson continues hitting, he'd stick, and Pods could be dealt with Ozzie and Co. not impressed with his defense and sub .250 avg [that Ozzie publicly called him out for taking his poor AB's into the field]. LF is Crawford's best position. And he'd be a ready made Pods replacement

Yet Crawford would likely play LF and Anderson CF for the start of 2007. Anderson will hit in the major leagues. He's shown his value as a defensive player in CF. With the Sox high priced starters, they have to get a few young position players who can contribute on the cheap. KW has said he wants to win now. But not at the expense of his future. Trading away Anderson would be trading away the future.

I agree that Anderson will eventually hit and that he has a lot of upside... more than Rowand did. And his defense in CF is already excellent. But he doesn't have Crawford's upside. I'm not nearly has high on Crawford as some other people in this thread but, outside of Anderson's ability to play Gold Glove-caliber CF, Crawford is a much better player overall... and will still be a much better player five years from now. Trading away B-Mac would put this organization's future in jeopardy, given the relative age of our pitching staff. No commodity in baseball is more precious than quality, young, inexpensive starting pitching. But trading away Anderson and some prospects for Crawford would not, IMO. Twenty-four-year-old Carl Crawford would essentially replace Anderson as "the future." Given that either Garcia or Garland will be on their way out this winter and that Thome (and possibly Count) are likely to follow in a couple of years, the money will be available to sign Crawford to a long-term deal.

That said, it's not going to happen anyway. The D-Rays are trying to convince everyone that Crawford is the second coming of Pete Rose. And given some of the responses in this thread, they've been at least somewhat successful.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
I agree that Anderson will eventually hit and that he has a lot of upside... more than Rowand did. And his defense in CF is already excellent. But he doesn't have Crawford's upside. I'm not nearly has high on Crawford as some other people in this thread but, outside of Anderson's ability to play Gold Glove-caliber CF, Crawford is a much better player overall... and will still be a much better player five years from now. Trading away B-Mac would put this organization's future in jeopardy, given the relative age of our pitching staff. No commodity in baseball is more precious than quality, young, inexpensive starting pitching. But trading away Anderson and some prospects for Crawford would not, IMO. Twenty-four-year-old Carl Crawford would essentially replace Anderson as "the future." Given that either Garcia or Garland will be on their way out this winter and that Thome (and possibly Count) are likely to follow in a couple of years, the money will be available to sign Crawford to a long-term deal.

That said, it's not going to happen anyway. The D-Rays are trying to convince everyone that Crawford is the second coming of Pete Rose. And given some of the responses in this thread, they've been at least somewhat successful.

My thinking is that Anderson and Crawford would compliment each other [and the team] very well, both possessing great defensive skills and having various offensive strengths from both the left and right sides of the plate. Instead of an either /or, having both would be a great foundation for the future [and present]. Crawford would give the sox the POds type ignitor. Anderson would give the sox the type of production Rowand did.

While I'm not comparing Crawford to Rose, Crawford would give the sox the leadoff man they'll need for the future. No rookie will come in and put up the kind of numbers a playoff team needs. Look at the Coco Crisp trade. It'll take giving up high quality players for that type of guy. [And looking at a potential Crawford trade, Crisp's price is about realistically what Crawford should return for the D-Rays, though a little more]. With Pods in the "doghouse" for his defense [and not hitting], it may be time to look for a viable replacement that could help this yr for the stretch run.

And Crawford is already signed to a long term deal. He'd be locked up until 2010, IIRC.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 03:14 AM)
For those dreaming of Crawford, I think those chances just went down significantly today:

Gathright to Royals for Howell

Gathright was looked at as a 4th OFer at best by TB. Both Delmon Young and Elijah Dukes were ahead of him. And both look to be ready for the bigs very soon. Not to mention that BJ Upton is mentioned as a future OFer as well.

Young's spot is in RF. Dukes was playing LF and took over in RF when Young was suspended.

The D-Rays have a lot of holes to fill [sP, 3b, 1b, C, bullpen]. Far more than trading one of their prospects will get them. They should take the MArlins example and sell their assets at once and stock up on quality prospects. Besides a few of the big names, the top of their minor league system looks pretty bad.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 06:05 AM)
My thinking is that Anderson and Crawford would compliment each other [and the team] very well, both possessing great defensive skills and having various offensive strengths from both the left and right sides of the plate. Instead of an either /or, having both would be a great foundation for the future [and present]. Crawford would give the sox the POds type ignitor. Anderson would give the sox the type of production Rowand did.

Sure, that would be nice. But if the D-Rays want young, inexpensive players, Anderson would probably be one of them (along with Fields, Broadway, and maybe Sweeney). This would especially be true if the rumors about them wanting to move Rocco Baldelli have merit. As I said in my original post, I would EVENTUALLY offer Anderson (along with the rest of those guys), but that's about it.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:19 AM)
Sure, that would be nice. But if the D-Rays want young, inexpensive players, Anderson would probably be one of them (along with Fields, Broadway, and maybe Sweeney). This would especially be true if the rumors about them wanting to move Rocco Baldelli have merit. As I said in my original post, I would EVENTUALLY offer Anderson (along with the rest of those guys), but that's about it.

Aren't the D-Rays rumored to be wanting mostly pitching for Crawford? With what they have in terms of minor league OF, I doubt Anderson would be one of their targets. Fields would be higher up than Anderson in my opinion, then the rest of what they would want would be pitching. If a trade is made for Crawford, then I think you would see Anderson paired with him for a long long time.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
Aren't the D-Rays rumored to be wanting mostly pitching for Crawford? With what they have in terms of minor league OF, I doubt Anderson would be one of their targets. Fields would be higher up than Anderson in my opinion, then the rest of what they would want would be pitching. If a trade is made for Crawford, then I think you would see Anderson paired with him for a long long time.

You will not get Carl Crawford without dealing Brandon McCarthy. There will probably be more parts to the deal, but plain and simple, we will not wind up with both Carl Crawford in LF and Brandon McCarthy in our organization.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
You will not get Carl Crawford without dealing Brandon McCarthy. There will probably be more parts to the deal, but plain and simple, we will not wind up with both Carl Crawford in LF and Brandon McCarthy in our organization.

BMAC will not be included in any deal, you can bank on that.

I would rather trade JG or FG way before trading BMAC

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
BMAC will not be included in any deal, you can bank on that.

I would rather trade JG or FG way before trading BMAC

And I agree, unless the guy we're getting is named Albert Pujols. But remember everyone, you want Crawford, you WILL be giving up McCarthy.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
And I agree, unless the guy we're getting is named Albert Pujols. But remember everyone, you want Crawford, you WILL be giving up McCarthy.

Not necessarily. There is always the possibility of a 3rd team in the deal, or if TB accepted Garland or Garcia, then they could flip him for a couple of good young pitchers to say the Dodgers or whoever. On problem with the second scenario is that we might have to see JG or FG with Detroit of in the playoffs at some point.

I second the notion that Carl Crawford only leaves Tampa if he brings them a bona fide stud pitcher (McCarthy). The Rays aren't in any position to look for anything less.

Your best bet otherwise is to go with a big time pithcing package that would be a bit ridiculous for us to consider. I'm talking Josh Fields (they could use help at 3B) and our best 2 remaining pitching prospects (Broadway? Liotta? Lumsden? Haeger?), which would essentially wipe us out.

But basically, it'd be Crawford for McCarthy and maybe more. And I

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 05:11 AM)
Question, if you had to give up the same for Ichiro or Crawford (which is actually possible mind you), who would you prefer?

Crawford: 24, LF, signed through 2010 (including options)

Suzuki: 32, RF, signed through 2007

Crawford is a LF so there would be no problem with his postion if he were acquired, Ichiro on the other hand is a RF, would there be a problem getting him to play LF/CF? Crawford is also 8 years younger and is still getting better (insane potential). Crawford's contract is quite awesome as well, the contract escalates as the years pass but at its highest could only reach $11.5M which is the final year if all incentives are met.

Give me Crawford.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 05:19 AM)
Crawford: 24, LF, signed through 2010 (including options)

Suzuki: 32, RF, signed through 2007

Crawford is a LF so there would be no problem with his postion if he were acquired, Ichiro on the other hand is a RF, would there be a problem getting him to play LF/CF? Crawford is also 8 years younger and is still getting better (insane potential). Crawford's contract is quite awesome as well, the contract escalates as the years pass but at its highest could only reach $11.5M which is the final year if all incentives are met.

Give me Crawford.

I don't think so, Ichiro primarily played CF in Japan, and is in great shape. Both have their pros and cons, if we acquired Ichiro I wouldn't be surprised if the white sox FO did what the Mariners did in the sense of brining interest from Japan(round trippers), since we have two of their perennial all stars on our team. Also Ichiro wants to play on the biggest stage in MLB and wants to be on a contender i don't know what we would have to give up to acquire him and how much it would cost to keep him locked up for the next 4 years. But if we acquired Crawford we would have him for along time at a reasonable rate and our LF/Leadoff man questions would be solved for the future