Shades of... GULP, 2004?

LVSoxFan

That right now we really remind me of the 2004 Sox?

In other words: feast or famine. We either crush them or we get shut out. Of course I'm generalizing and no, I am not throwing in the towel or claiming the sky is falling, but this Cleveland series is bringing back some unpleasant memories of '04 and how we could alternate between awesome and flat-out crappy.

Hey I know the season's young and I'm hardly going code blue on this, but just thought I'd see if anybody else felt the same way.

(Although one difference is that we actually swept the Angels IN Anaheim and Oakland here, so some things have changed).

But man I miss the one-run wins with low scores when our pitching and defense was killing everybody and not really our bats...

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)

In other words: feast or famine. We either crush them or we get shut out. Of course I'm generalizing and no, I am not throwing in the towel or claiming the sky is falling, but this Cleveland series is bringing back some unpleasant memories of '04 and how we could alternate between awesome and flat-out crappy.

Hey I know the season's young and I'm hardly going code blue on this, but just thought I'd see if anybody else felt the same way.

(Although one difference is that we actually swept the Angels IN Anaheim and Oakland here, so some things have changed).

But man I miss the one-run wins with low scores when our pitching and defense was killing everybody and not really our bats...

Considering how last nights game was the first time we got shut out, I would say your opinion of us getting shut out all the time is pretty ridiculous.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)

I wouldn't go that far. This was the first time they have been shut out all season. I expect them to bounce back tonight and to get a good dose of home field advantage when they get back tomorrow.

Even if our offense resembles the 04 offense, that's ok since our pitching staff is light-years ahead of the 04 staff. Let's not forget that was the year when we went to a 4-man rotation for a while and Scott Schoenweis and Estebad Loiaza were half that.

When I say shut out I am generalizing. Not literally, but you get the idea: we either rack 'em up or we're dismal.

Think of it: two nights ago we were up 3-0 and they scored four runs. That was enough to beat us. Shutout, schmutout, you get the idea.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
Considering how last nights game was the first time we got shut out, I would say your opinion of us getting shut out all the time is pretty ridiculous.

/agree 1 shutout doesn't = 2004.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
When I say shut out I am generalizing. Not literally, but you get the idea: we either rack 'em up or we're dismal.

Think of it: two nights ago we were up 3-0 and they scored four runs. That was enough to beat us. Shutout, schmutout, you get the idea.

How dare we score 3 runs against the hottest pitcher in baseball.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
I'm pretty sure C.C. has been the best pitcher in baseball since he came off the DL.

We are just a couple games off our 2005 pace.

If the Tigers were like they were last year NO ONE would be complaining.

But we have competition this year so it's the 2006 edition of:

SoxChickenLittlecopy.jpg

Edited by RibbieRubarb

Because I am a nerd, I compared the average runs scored and standard deviation for 2004, 2005, and 2006. The average runs at this point were:

2004 - 5.591836735

2005 - 4.403846154

2006 - 5.431372549

The standard deviation was:

2004 - 4.046183219

2005 - 2.144391823

2006 - 3.054536966

If I remember my math classes correctly, the standard deviation means that for example in 2004 66% of our games were within 4 runs of the average (5.59). So, in 2004 66% of the time we ranged between 1.59 and 9.59 runs.

In 2005, we averaged 4.40 runs per game and most of the time we were within 2 runs of that average (a lot more consistent).

This year we are pretty close to the same amount of runs per game as 2004, but we are not fluctuating as wildly. We are also not as consistent as 2005.

So, this year is kind of falling between 2004 and 2005.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
Because I am a nerd, I compared the average runs scored and standard deviation for 2004, 2005, and 2006. The average runs at this point were:

2004 - 5.591836735

2005 - 4.403846154

2006 - 5.431372549

The standard deviation was:

2004 - 4.046183219

2005 - 2.144391823

2006 - 3.054536966

If I remember my math classes correctly, the standard deviation means that for example in 2004 66% of our games were within 4 runs of the average (5.59). So, in 2004 66% of the time we ranged between 1.59 and 9.59 runs.

In 2005, we averaged 4.40 runs per game and most of the time we were within 2 runs of that average (a lot more consistent).

This year we are pretty close to the same amount of runs per game as 2004, but we are not fluctuating as wildly. We are also not as consistent as 2005.

So, this year is kind of falling between 2004 and 2005.

I think deviation isn't applicable in comparing 2005 to the other seasons since the mean is much lower and there's the possiblity of scoring 0 runs. But yeah, it can definitely compare 2004 and 2006 and it shows we are way more consistent in run scoring this season than in 2004.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I really don't feel the same way. I think it is just you.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
All the guy said was that we've looked like the 2004 for team for the past week. That's entirely true. Can't hold leads, score a bunch of runs one game, then scrape a few across for the next few.

Thank YOU Milkman! Geez! I make one negative comment and people are spraining their knees, jerking them.

What is this, WSI?

:chair

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
Thank YOU Milkman! Geez! I make one negative comment and people are spraining their knees, jerking them.

What is this, WSI?

:chair

:gosoxretro:

I get your point dude. Its just, maybe our offense is just better this year, and has won us several games that we may not have won last year. Especially with our pitching struggling a bit early in this season. If you took this rotation and paired it with those lineups Frank, Maggs, Lee, Konerko, im sure we would have been a better team. I have the utmost confidence that this team will be more consistently good than last years team.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
LMAO.. :lolhitting

This has got to be one of the funniest days on this site in a loooooong time.

We just want to see you in a shirt tearing contest. Come on, live up to the moniker of "doable"... YOU CAN DOOO IT!

:lolhitting