Cesar Izturis

southsideirish

Page 18 of the May31-June 6 issue. "So far, '06 packed with surprises", by Bob Nightengale

"Best General Manager:

Ken Williams, White Sox"

WIlliams acquired Thome, who's among the AL leaders in home runs and RBI and is hitting .292, and Vazquez, who has five wins, from the Diamondbacks in the offseason. And don't be surprised if Williams comes away with shortsop Cesar Izturis from the Dodgers."

My question is if there is any truth to this rumor. Izturis is playing DH in the minors. How far along is his throwing after having TJ surgery? I think he is a hell of a player. Very good at getting on base, moving runners over, and good bat control and a good bunter. Plus he was an outstanding fielder. After TJ surgery I am not sure how great his arm is right now. Is Nightengale just mentioning something on a whim or does this actually have some substance to it?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
wow. I dont know where he would play, but thats interesting.

Shortstop. I think you'll definitely see his name thrown around come July, I'd take him but only if it would cost close to nothing cause he's basically Juan with a better batting average but a bit less power. He's not a very good hitter but he is a tremendous defender.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Shortstop. I think you'll definitely see his name thrown around come July, I'd take him but only if it would cost close to nothing cause he's basically Juan with a better batting average but a bit less power. He's not a very good hitter but he is a tremendous defender.

But does he spin into the ground as well as Juan.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
The Sox already have a slick-fielding weak-hitting SS. I rather have the guy with the better arm, who has more power. Unless Izturis is considered a back-up at all infield positions, maybe taking Cintron's place for the better defense.

I'm worried we'd give up an awful lot for Izturis.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
your always worried... about everything.

I never said that I don't. The sad thing is that I'm not even close to being the most pessimistic person on this board these days. I honestly think some people expected the Sox to go 162-0.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 06:16 PM)
Since when?

His career OBP is a f***ing atrocious .295.

He is worse than Uribe.

This is true, Cesar Izturis is pretty brutal at the plate, the guy is slick in the field but he is just a bad hitter. The guy has a career .633 OPS compared to Uribe's .726, that's called an offensive downgrade.

The guy will also be making decent money over the next 3 years and would probably be even worse offensively if he did make the jump from the weak NL to the much stronger AL.

The Sox should seriously have no interest in the guy.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nightengale and KW are fairly tight, according to the grapevine.

this has something to it.

can the Dodgers also provide a CF?

Maybe that is the move. Izturis takes over SS and Uribe to CF? Seems ludicrous to me, but didn't Uribe used to play CF or come up as a CFer with the Rocks?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
Maybe that is the move. Izturis takes over SS and Uribe to CF? Seems ludicrous to me, but didn't Uribe used to play CF or come up as a CFer with the Rocks?

What exactly would that accomplish? It would weaken our offense and defense all in one dumbass move. FUN!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What exactly would that accomplish? It would weaken our offense and defense all in one dumbass move. FUN!

Isn't that what I just said. Wait, maybe I am wrong, what exactly does ludicrous mean again? Oh yeah, here it is:

Laughable or hilarious because of obvious absurdity or incongruity.

Is there another way to use the word ludicrous? Let me see here, nope, no there isn't. That is the only meaning.

So your opinion and my opinion of this move would be the exact same. To you it would be a "dumbass" move and to me it would be a "laughable or hilarious move becuase of its obvious absurdity or incongruity."

Thank you for agreeing with me Kalapse.