Bullpen Armageddon White Sox Loser

klaus kinski

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
Hilarious how you don't like the idea of trading prospects for bullpen guys, yet all of our minor leaguers get the Cleveland steamer treatment from you. :rolly

How many teams do you think would love to be in our position right now in terms of our ML talent and farm system?

I don't like the idea because often the unreliable nature of bullpen arms changes from year to year, and may require a top prospect mid-season. It isn't smart for our benefit. Problem is no team will take Monterro for their top setup man.

I'm not quickman, who often suggests everyone can be traded because they all suck. There are several players I like in our system. Lumsden, for one, has a great arm and has been pitching well. Broadway, however, can be traded right now for all I care.

Is it my fault there's not ONE pitcher in a system capable of filling a bullpen position? How about our positional players? Is there anyone you could just plug in now and expect decent production?

I remember a team that blew a 15 game lead in in a month and a half while another team was playing great baseball chasing us...

I beleive the quotes from that time were...

"Our bullpen sucks!"

"Great job Kenny...not making any trades!"

"No way we win this division"

"Even if we win we won't go far in the playoffs"

That slumping team went on to turn it around and win it ALL.

Now...It's June.

We are only 2.5 games back.

But all history has taught the majority of you is:

That we should start trading prime prospects for middle relief

Josh Fields can play LF now

Last year was a fluke for our relievers but Detroit's young pitchers are the real deal

And you wish we had Luis Vizcaino back

(Takes some of SS2k5's popcorn)

This is funny.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
Who is accepting it? We all know damn well Kenny isn't...

Well, if you're not allowed to discuss it without being ridiculed then I guess that constitutes accepting it simply because there aren't many other courses of action to take.

Get some dominant bullpen help now. Thank you.

I don't want to hear how difficult that is to acquire, it's your job. You haven't had anything more important to do since Spring Training, so get off your ass and deal.

Politte is done, Jenks, Cotts and Thornton are only decent this year, and the rest of your bullpen isn't worth mention.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)

I don't want to hear how difficult that is to acquire, it's your job. You haven't had anything more important to do since Spring Training, so get off your ass and deal.

Politte is done, Jenks, Cotts and Thornton are only decent this year, and the rest of your bullpen isn't worth mention.

I find it funny that some people really assume Kenny Williams is ignorant of the situation and is attempting nothing. It must be their first year following the team.

:headshake

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 12:28 AM)
I find it funny that some people really assume Kenny Williams is ignorant of the situation and is attempting nothing. It must be their first year following the team.

:headshake

^^^

KW's more pissed than any of us are.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

It's not difficult at all. Just throw together what remains of our minor league system and we can probably pry Shields right now from Anaheim.

Point is, unless Williams is willing to overpay, we'll have to wait. Maybe not even make a move. Remember last midseason and the ridiculous demand certain teams were requesting? Trust me when I tell you I was one of the Soxtalk members furious when Williams basically stood pat. When demands were made public shortly thereafter, it was easy to understand why. Everyone had a Jim Hendry philosophy of trading, where he asks for everything and gives up as little as possible. McCarthy for Ron Villone? LOL.

Geoff Blum was one of three (IIRC) midseason acquisitions over the entire MLB. It may change this midseason, but I know this-- no one will help the World Series champions.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:39 PM)
i just dont think therye pitching will last or is good enough against the good offensive teams

i agree, Verlander is mortal, and has never pitched more than 130innings. Maroth is about to undergo elbow surgery for bone chips, and lastly Rogers is mediocore down the strech. We've got alot of games left with them, and as seen by their 4 game losing streak they too are human.

I still don't think our bullpen is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Thornton couldn't get it done tonight but he had 8 scoreless apperances before hand, and im not about to turn on him. Cliff is spent, Jenks is amazing when used properly, Cotts may not be the same reliever from last year but hes still really good. McCarthy just needs consistant work and a defined role simple as that. and Nelson might or might not have enough in the tank to be a ROOGY, will see.

They better fix this s*** soon. Having our pen implode more often than not is going to make this team miss the playoffs. Our bullpen is our new 5th starter from 2004.

BTW our team might want to start hitting with men in scoring position. Just a f***ing thought. Thank god Dye and Thome carried the team tonight.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:39 PM)
i just dont think therye pitching will last or is good enough against the good offensive teams

Our pitching isnt holding up against good offensive teams right now. We go up against good hitting teams, and then we get rocked.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
i hate to get on a guy who has pitched as well as contreras, but tonight is a perfect example of how we need to ride our SP throughout the year. We dont have a deep pen, plain and simple, so we need our starters to go at least 6 every night. obviuosly that won't happen every night, but this is what happens when you starters dont go deep.....your bullpen gets exposed alot more...and when its not deep and you cant get it to cotts/jenks you are gonna be in trouble.

You only ride those starters are far as the pitch count will let you. Contreras threw 107 pitches through 5 last night and was clearly struggling. IMO, Ozzie took him out at the right time. What we don't need is Ozzie forcing our starters to throw 130-140 pitches/game. And even if the starters get us 6 innings, there's still three for the 'pen to screw it up. This team is going to be very beatable if KW doesn't do something abou the 'pen.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)
How many teams do you think would love to be in our position right now in terms of our... farm system?

In terms of the scouting and coaching, perhaps. But in terms of players, it's pretty mediocre right now.