Bullpen Armageddon White Sox Loser

klaus kinski

So my question is, why is McCarthy still an untouchable? Let's look at the following:

1. McCarthy does us no good right now coming out of the pen
  2. McCarthy might not be a capable staring pitcher for the Sox, both considering his own production and the possibility there is not spot in the starting rotation open for 2007 (all current starters are under contract for 2007)
  3. McCarthy is very highly regarded as a young pitcher
Maybe I'm an idiot, but given these facts McCarthy appears to have a low value for the team for this season and next, assuming his poor play out of the bullpen (for whatever possible reason: no defined role, he's just a bad pitcher, etc.) continues. Considering these facts, wouldn't McCarthy be a valuable chip in landing a stud reliever or SS or CF? That's why I question if he is "untradeable"

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
So my question is, why is McCarthy still an untouchable? Let's look at the following:
  2. McCarthy might not be a capable staring pitcher for the Sox, both considering his own production and the possibility there is not spot in the starting rotation open for 2007 (all current starters are under contract for 2007)
Maybe I'm an idiot, but given these facts McCarthy appears to have a low value for the team for this season and next, assuming his poor play out of the bullpen (for whatever possible reason: no defined role, he's just a bad pitcher, etc.) continues. Considering these facts, wouldn't McCarthy be a valuable chip in landing a stud reliever or SS or CF? That's why I question if he is "untradeable"

Think about this...in 2000, Mark Buehrle was pitching out of the bullpen. He wasn't as highly touted as McCarthy IMO, but what would have happened had we decided to go all out in 2000 and traded Buehrle for a veteran starting pitcher? Well, we might have won a game against Seattle, for one, but beyond that, we a.) wouldn't have had a very cheap starting pitcher for several years, b.) we wouldn't have won the world series last year, and so on.

Brandon is untouchable because right now he is the best talent this team has, he's making the league minimum for the next several years, and he's going to be in the starting rotation before long. And furthermore, I can hardly see anybody out there who would give me equal value for a potential lights out starting pitcher who makes the minimum and is under our control for 6 more years.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
Brandon is untouchable because right now he is the best talent this team has, he's making the league minimum for the next several years, and he's going to be in the starting rotation before long. And furthermore, I can hardly see anybody out there who would give me equal value for a potential lights out starting pitcher who makes the minimum and is under our control for 6 more years.

perfectly said.

QUOTE(Balance @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
Could someone please post the definition of "ROOGY" and "LOOGY"?

I have guesses, but I'm not sure.

righty one out guy

lefty one out guy

i think the Y is just to make it sound swanktastic!

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
righty one out guy

lefty one out guy

i think the Y is just to make it sound swanktastic!

Thanks. That makes more sense than

"Righty off one good year" or something. :D

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)

Barring injury, B-Mac will be at least as good as Garland's career average. That combined with his low cost definitely make him untouchable.

QUOTE(Balance @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
Thanks. That makes more sense than

"Righty off one good year" or something. :D

LMFAO=laughing my f***ing ass off.

:lol:

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
B-Mac will be at least as good as Garland's career average.

Understatement of the year.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)

McCarthy will be in the starting rotation in 2007, and he's untouchable because he's one of the best young pitchers in the game. That's incredibly valuable in this day and age, especially since we have him under contract for awhile. He's not doing well now because he's not a reliever. He's a starter who isn't fit to be a reliever, yet he's being forced into that position this year. Trading him now, before he even got into the rotation fulltime, would be a joke, and an idiotic thing to do.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)
Barring injury, B-Mac will be at least as good as Garland's career average. That combined with his low cost definitely make him untouchable.

If the kid stays healthy, Garland will be damn jealous. Garland's career average should be BMac's low side if he's healthy.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
If the kid stays healthy, Garland will be damn jealous. Garland's career average should be BMac's low side if he's healthy.

Agreed. I'm just trying not to jinx him. :P

This is indeed very frustrating, but we have recognized this problem since early spring training. I hope Politte and Cotts are just in a funk trying to find that consistency. They have had some real good games and at other times just plain suck. Jenks has been real good for the last month or so. McCarthy is inconsistent and Thornton has a couple great games and then sucks big time is one or two. It's way to early to be in apnaic and we are just 2 1/2 games out, but if the pen was working like last year we would be in the lead by a few games.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
Speaking of Jenks, when did he pitch last? I'm worried his next outing may be shaky from lack of use.

Maybe instead of "Needler" the mods should change your title to "Worry Wart"

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
Speaking of Jenks, when did he pitch last? I'm worried his next outing may be shaky from lack of use.

good point. On the topic of Jenks what exactly does he have as far as pitch selection goes?

i've heard DJ say hes got a Knuckle-Curve, but I've heard Bobby say hes got a hard slider so what is it?

i know hes got a cut fastball, the heat, and that 12-6 drop