Where is the heart???

whitesoxfan101

I KNOW the heart is there somewhere, there are too many guys from 2005 on this team again. The heart is there somewhere, the desire is there somewhere, the will is there somewhere, that "Ozzieball style" of fighting back is there somewhere. But damn we need to find it, we are losing game after game after game where we don't execute in close spots, or we have a lead and blows it, or we don't show up, or all of the above. It's not like we're showing up and playing as well and as hard as we can and getting beat like what happened so often last season, and that is what is killing me. I have tickets for each of the next 3 Saturday games coming up, and I don't even care if we win or not, I just want them to appear to give a s***, I just want them to execute basic plays like a damn bunt or not throwing a pitch that splits the center of home plate, please if your going to lose at least execute and make the other team beat you. That's all, the season isn't over and the Yankees have been kind to us, but I just wish we'd show some sort of fire and care, it's like corpseball has returned or something.

Or coming back from deficits multiple times in the same game? Does that qualify as heart?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
Ok, I disagreed with the Bullpen thread being a "jump off the bridge" type dealy but his one fits the description.

Yeah, I definately think this is a step up, or over the ledge as the case might be...

Sounds like something I posted in August and September 2005. Well, I learned my lesson. I was way f***ing wrong. This is everything but the "f*** this team, see you in spring training."

Like I said, I learned my lesson. The bullpen let us down. Our bullpen is not that good. Heart has nothing to do with it. Skill does.

You can't say this team isn't showing any heart right now. Before it was a new hero everyday, now theres a new culprit everyday. They just need to get some confidence and playing like they should be. This series with the Rangers I fully expect them to come together better and play solid defense with good pitching and hitting. They know improving vs the Rangers is a must and the Tiger series is going to be huge with the way their playing. Like people have been mentioning, we are not in a horrible spot and we are lucky to be playing like s*** and still have a good record. :gosox1: :gosox1: :headbang :headbang

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
Questioning a team's heart or chemistry is the dumbest thing ever in sports. If a team wins, people think they have heart/chemistry. If the Sox held on to win after Dye's homer, people would be saying how much heart we showed.

Haha I remember getting all over people for that after the Expos game where Munoz pitched and we lost 14-12.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
You can't say this team isn't showing any heart right now. Before it was a new hero everyday, now theres a new culprit everyday. They just need to get some confidence and playing like they should be. This series with the Rangers I fully expect them to come together better and play solid defense with good pitching and hitting. They know improving vs the Rangers is a must and the Tiger series is going to be huge with the way their playing. Like people have been mentioning, we are not in a horrible spot and we are lucky to be playing like s*** and still have a good record. :gosox1: :gosox1: :headbang :headbang

I fully expect Garland to give up 7 or more runs in his start. Hopefully the offense will be able to flat out outscore Texas in that game.

Questioning a team's heart or chemistry is the dumbest thing ever in sports. If a team wins, people think they have heart/chemistry. If the Sox held on to win after Dye's homer, people would be saying how much heart we showed.

Great point by Fathom. The team has heart. The team just sucked after winning the opener, 11-0, for whatever reason, but heart is not the reason.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
Great point by Fathom. The team has heart. The team just sucked after winning the opener, 11-0, for whatever reason, but heart is not the reason.

It's the pitching!

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
I like how you're rooting for your team there.

Haha. Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't notice that I typed, "I hope Garland gives up 7 or more runs." Stupid me, rooting against my team. I should've said something like, "I fully expect Garland to give up 7 or more runs." Saying something like that would just indicate that I don't have faith in Garland to keep a good HR-hitting team in the park at home, rather than showing how much I root against Garland and the White Sox.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:20 PM)
So I guess its good to have absolutely no faith in Garland. Yeah he has sucked a lot, but you gotta support him even if he is facing a team like the Rangers.

Why do you have to support a sucky pitcher?

I understand that he was pretty good last year and all. He played a large part in a WS championship but if he's going to suck most every start this year, I'm not going to back a loser.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
Why do you have to support a sucky pitcher?

I understand that he was pretty good last year and all. He played a large part in a WS championship but if he's going to suck most every start this year, I'm not going to back a loser.

No one is saying you have to, but it would be nice if he didn't come home to be booed when his name is called then for the same people who were booing him to cheer for him when he gets back on track. I am not saying he will be 8-0 when he does pitch better, but you can at least count on his career numbers which I would gladly take for a fifth starter.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)

i agree partly but think back to when Albert Belle was playing for us. A.B. was probably one of the most disliked players on any given ball club, but did that effect the teams performance? maybe but only to a small degree. i can hardly think that it did for us. sure, chemistry helps mold championship teams together like our 05 sox but i dont think it is necessary. either your post is agreeing with me or isnt, im not sure.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
I fully expect Garland to give up 7 or more runs in his start. Hopefully the offense will be able to flat out outscore Texas in that game.

Care to put your money where your mouth is?

See anyone can say some s*** like you just did and then if Garland does give up 7 you can look down on all of us from your mighty spot on top of your horse and say "I TOLD YOU SO" If the Sox win, however, you can just be like "woohoo sox win" Maybe if we invest a little something besides just your words on your 7 or more earned runs prediction?? Say $50 ??

Edited by Controlled Chaos

Anyone would think Jon Garland is the worst pitcher in baseball, and we're on a 10 game losing streak by some of the posts.

At some point this season, we were going to hit a flat spot. We can't win all 162 games. We can't win every series. Let's just remember that this is a very good team. We don't have a .623 winning percentage for nothing.

Last season we were a good team in away games. This year it's home games, so that's something Ozzie probably needs to address to his group. But it's still early, and we've got a wildcard spot still.

FWIW I think Jon will come out with a good outing tomorrow. He's got a 2.75 ERA at home, and yeah you can argue it was against bad teams, but he still came out and performed well. He's kept the ball in the park a lot more at home, which shows he's probably using his sinker more.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
Haha. Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't notice that I typed, "I hope Garland gives up 7 or more runs." Stupid me, rooting against my team. I should've said something like, "I fully expect Garland to give up 7 or more runs." Saying something like that would just indicate that I don't have faith in Garland to keep a good HR-hitting team in the park at home, rather than showing how much I root against Garland and the White Sox.

Care to say something positive about this team for once?