Where is the heart???

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 08:13 AM)
Care to put your money where your mouth is?

See anyone can say some s*** like you just did and then if Garland does give up 7 you can look down on all of us from your mighty spot on top of your horse and say "I TOLD YOU SO" If the Sox win, however, you can just be like "woohoo sox win" Maybe if we invest a little something besides just your words on your 7 or more earned runs prediction?? Say $50 ??

There's no chance I'm betting against my own team. Jeez, I get enough s*** just for being pessimistic. And I don't shove it down people's throats when something bad happens and I said it would. Oh yeah, and even if I wanted to gloat like you say, I wouldn't be able to since I will be in MI for the weekend.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)
Anyone would think Jon Garland is the worst pitcher in baseball, and we're on a 10 game losing streak by some of the posts.

At some point this season, we were going to hit a flat spot. We can't win all 162 games. We can't win every series. Let's just remember that this is a very good team. We don't have a .623 winning percentage for nothing.

Last season we were a good team in away games. This year it's home games, so that's something Ozzie probably needs to address to his group. But it's still early, and we've got a wildcard spot still.

FWIW I think Jon will come out with a good outing tomorrow. He's got a 2.75 ERA at home, and yeah you can argue it was against bad teams, but he still came out and performed well. He's kept the ball in the park a lot more at home, which shows he's probably using his sinker more.

Care to say something positive about this team for once?

I say positive things where positive things are deserved. Jon Garland, of the 6.something ERA, has given me nothing to be positive about this year. The bullpen, too, has given me nothing to be positive about beyond Jenks, Cotts, and Thornton (who I've been saying will be a contributor since KW got him). And the same goes for the blackhole at the bottom of the order.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
There's no chance I'm betting against my own team. Jeez, I get enough s*** just for being pessimistic. And I don't shove it down people's throats when something bad happens and I said it would.

I say positive things where positive things are deserved. Jon Garland, of the 6.something ERA, has given me nothing to be positive about this year. The bullpen, too, has given me nothing to be positive about beyond Jenks, Cotts, and Thornton (who I've been saying will be a contributor since KW got him). And the same goes for the blackhole at the bottom of the order.

had to take a shot...I liked my odds

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
had to take a shot...I liked my odds

Ha, I can understand that. Saying 7 runs was mostly hyperbole, anyway. It'd be a bad bet for me because I wouldn't want it to happen in the first place, and secondly because more often than not, a pitcher won't give up that many runs.

FWIW I agree with the original post, our team looks lifeless. In fact, we kinda have since Toronto (save for the opening blowout at Jacobs).

Just flat.

Having said that, though, I'll say what I said at the beginning of this season: I'd rather slump now and have a rough first half, only to kill 2nd half heading into the playoffs, then ever go through another September swoon again. In other words, let's make all the mistakes now, work out the kinks, have the bad losses. Once the ASB hits IMO the race is on.

So yeah it sucks to watch something like this, but man, after last year (although it turned out well), if it happens in June instead of September that's fine with me. Plus we have 100+ games to go, so panic is not an option.

That said, yes: our bullpen is worrisome. Jose, on the other hand, was due for a bad game after an unbelievable streak--I cannot fault the man at all.

We are a different team this year. We are the World Champs. As much as everyone would like to say we have a chip on our shoulder, we don't. We are the hunted. Part of what comes with that is knowing we have a talented team and can weather the storms of a long season. Our players know this as well, especially after nearly choking it all away last year. Actually, that near collapse may hurt us this year. When we go into a long tailspin, our players will continually think we can pull out of it again. When you are a champion, you know it's a long season and you don't get too freaked out by a bad road trip. In any case, I hope they turn it around soon, because I just don't have the confidence in this team like I did last year. Something is missing. I just don't know what.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2006 -> 10:50 PM)
Or coming back from deficits multiple times in the same game? Does that qualify as heart?
This is what I was gonna write. They came back a couple of times only to be let down by the bullpen. That takes heart. And I agree no time to panic. I gotta feeling this season is going to have LOTS of ups and downs. Tune in. :gosox2:

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the heart?? Well we seem to FINALLY have seen some the last 5 games.

Have the Sox played well the last 5 games? Hell no, as a matter of fact we've played like complete s*** for the most part. But who cares, we've managed to go 4-1 and win 2 series against a couple of tough division rivals in Detroit and Cleveland. All 4 wins saw us win the game on late hits, with all kinds of heroes: Cintron, Dye, Ozuna, Mackowiak, Buehrle.....clutch hitting, some big outs from the pitchers, a little luck, not being afraid late in games, not giving up when something bad happens as a team, figuring out ways to win.

The last 5 games from this team are the first time really all year where you can see some heart, see some balls, see some care. To go 4-1 in these games, considering how they have went and how we've played.....it's been almost all heart. So I must say I found my answer to the question that started this thread, and even though stretches like the last 5 games might put me into a f***ing crazy house......at least I see the heart and care and emotion there right now.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
Where is the heart?? Well we seem to FINALLY have seen some the last 5 games.

Have the Sox played well the last 5 games? Hell no, as a matter of fact we've played like complete s*** for the most part. But who cares, we've managed to go 4-1 and win 2 series against a couple of tough division rivals in Detroit and Cleveland. All 4 wins saw us win the game on late hits, with all kinds of heroes: Cintron, Dye, Ozuna, Mackowiak, Buehrle.....clutch hitting, some big outs from the pitchers, a little luck, not being afraid late in games, not giving up when something bad happens as a team, figuring out ways to win.

The last 5 games from this team are the first time really all year where you can see some heart, see some balls, see some care. To go 4-1 in these games, considering how they have went and how we've played.....it's been almost all heart. So I must say I found my answer to the question that started this thread, and even though stretches like the last 5 games might put me into a f***ing crazy house......at least I see the heart and care and emotion there right now.

Very well said....but I was never under the impression they were lacking heart....just execution. Like you said, their execution still has not been up to par but better in spots. Ozzie would never let this team quit like some posters have suggested they had...they were just executing even worse than the last 5 games. Bullpen still needs work...Jenks is still the only reliable reliever and the starters have yet to hit their stride.

When this team does start hitting on all cylinders, well at least a couple cylinders, the rest of the league will have to take notice. Keep you faith Sox fans...step away from the ledges...it is a long season and don't question their heart as long as Ozzie is at the healm. Remember, he wanted to get rid of the guys who had no passion or heart....I seriously doubt Ozzie and Kenny will ever field a team that lacks heart.

There it was again tonight!! Sure we lost, but we nearly made the greatest rally in the history of ever. First time I've ever really smiled after a loss, what a great effort by us, with several of the key guys being bench players.

I have a feeling a run of very good play may have began tonight in the 9th, even in defeat. Way to go guys, the heart, the guts, the balls, the 2005 fever is back. I haven't felt better about this team all year than I do right now.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 03:30 AM)
There it was again tonight!! Sure we lost, but we nearly made the greatest rally in the history of ever. First time I've ever really smiled after a loss, what a great effort by us, with several of the key guys being bench players.

I have a feeling a run of very good play may have began tonight in the 9th, even in defeat. Way to go guys, the heart, the guts, the balls, the 2005 fever is back. I haven't felt better about this team all year than I do right now.

i don't think i've ever felt so excited after a loss.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
I standed up and applauded just like the fans who actually stayed there for the WHOLE GAME. They are class acts. :)

Same here on both counts. As proud as I was of the players, I was almost as much proud of the fans. A lot of them were still there considering the circumstances, and the move to give the standing O even after a loss in appreciation of the rally and effort was great to see.

i don't think i've ever felt so excited after a loss.

Agreed.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
I standed up and applauded just like the fans who actually stayed there for the WHOLE GAME. They are class acts. :)

i'm glad I'm not the only one that realized this.

I clapped before i walked out, this was really the best loss I've ever been to.

This is comming from the game thread..

QUOTE(THE WOOD @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 4:52 PM)
I have two tickets for the game in section 350. I am not feeling well and think it best if I just stay home. If anyone is interested in the tickets please send me a PM as soon as possible.

Lord, I bet The Wood would like to have felt better for this one. Talk about bad luck (if he didn't go..)