Big Frank

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 4, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
The Konerko thing is entirely speculation, and in my opinion is grasping for straws.

Its not speculation, and its not got anything to do with Thomas, this is right from Konerko's mouth.

CHICAGO -- Paul Konerko admitted Wednesday to making a mistake shortly after the end of the White Sox championship run in 2005. It was a minor mistake, of course, and stemmed more from the first baseman's lack of true knowledge in regard to his upcoming free agency.

"I tell you, the one thing I underestimated when I left, the day of the parade, I said this would be an easy thing and it eventually would all work out as it should," said Konerko via a conference call from Scottsdale, Ariz., on Wednesday. Konerko held the call after agreeing to terms on a five-year, $60 million contract with the White Sox, including a limited no-trade clause in the deal.

"It was far from that," Konerko added. "It wore me down over the last few weeks more than anything that has probably happened on the field. I've never been so torn over things.

"This was a roller coaster back and forth, and it honestly caught me off guard and it was tough. Ultimately, I got what I wanted. The original goal I had in mind, it worked out."

And the original goals the White Sox had in mind, which began to formulate even back in August, also came to fruition. The sheer and utter perfection found by the White Sox during the franchise's first World Series title run since 1917 now has been extended well into the offseason.

General manager Ken Williams and his staff entered this particular period focused on re-signing Konerko and adding a left-handed power presence to the middle of the White Sox order. The second goal was accomplished first, with the acquisition of Jim Thome from Philadelphia.

But the offseason's most important moment played out for the White Sox on Wednesday. According to Konerko, the addition of Thome was an important step toward his ultimate return -- despite the loss of a close friend and consummate teammate such as Aaron Rowand.

"When the trade was made and I was out here playing golf, people were asking me if I was mad," said Konerko, who informed Thome on Wednesday of his decision when the two finally made contact via the phone. "To me, it was the greatest recruiting move the White Sox could make to bring me back.

"I don't have many heroes in this game, but Jim Thome is definitely one of them. I have looked up to him since being in the big leagues. If you are a first baseman who came into the game in the last 10 years or so, Jim Thome is who you want to be like.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...sp&c_id=mlb

That said nothing about Frank Thomas, and everything about what Konerko thinks about Jim Thome.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
Oh but of course. But I must apologize a thousand times for posting an opinion contra to the express written subject matter at hand in the thread title and discription, not to mention potentially coming into a thread "just to talk s***"

Oh, come on, SS2k -- save the BS.

This wasn't a thread debating Frank's powress in the postseason. It was a thread chronicling what Frank did, and how he was doing. Nobody said, "Frank is the greatest postseason player ever". Your initial comment was unprovoked, and nothing more than stirring the pot.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 3, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
If Frank Thomas keeps this up all postseason, he goes into the Hall

as a member of the A's.

So sad he's still not a White Sox.

I love Thome, but Frank is in the postseason; Jimmy is not.

KW's biggest blunder ever.

HA HA HA. Now that's humor.

I cleaned some posts out of this thread.

I said very early in this thread (the second post) that this thread was to discuss just Frank's season and accomplishments, and I intend for it to stay that way.

We've had 5 billion Thome vs. Thomas threads, there isn't much reason for that to continue in this thread. As I said in the beginning, this thread is going to stay kosher.

After seeing Big Hurt getting doused with bubbly post-ALDS clinch, I got to thinking...if the A's go all the way, which is not unrealistic, I think Hurt should get another standing O when he comes back to Sox Park. Not only should he get a standing O, but he should be introduced as two-time World Champion FRAAAAAAANK THOMAS. Not only would it give Hurt his due, but I think Sox fans could use the PR. We don't have the best reputation in the class department.

Essentially, my biggest fear is that Hurt stays with the A's for a few more years, wins a championship (or two...who knows?...not impossible...) and pulls a Carlton Fisk on us by going to the Hall as an Athletic. Does anyone think this could ever happen? Again, probably not totally likely but some food for thought.

Go A's.

Go Tigers.

Go Dodgers.

QUOTE(GasHeGone @ Oct 6, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
After seeing Big Hurt getting doused with bubbly post-ALDS clinch, I got to thinking...if the A's go all the way, which is not unrealistic, I think Hurt should get another standing O when he comes back to Sox Park. Not only should he get a standing O, but he should be introduced as two-time World Champion FRAAAAAAANK THOMAS. Not only would it give Hurt his due, but I think Sox fans could use the PR. We don't have the best reputation in the class department.

Essentially, my biggest fear is that Hurt stays with the A's for a few more years, wins a championship (or two...who knows?...not impossible...) and pulls a Carlton Fisk on us by going to the Hall as an Athletic. Does anyone think this could ever happen? Again, probably not totally likely but some food for thought.

Go A's.

Go Tigers.

Go Dodgers.

Carlton Fisk will always be known primarily for his tenure in a Red Sox uniform, just as Frank will always be known as a Southsider.

For God's sake people.

I'll keep this link and post it every damn time if necessary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Hall_of_Fame

Players with multiple teams

The Hall has also recently changed its stance regarding team membership. Although all the teams for which a player played are usually listed in the text of the plaque, most are depicted wearing the cap of one specific team. Before the current trend of frequent free agency, this was not controversial, since players of Hall of Fame quality often played most of their career with one team. As free agents began to be inducted, it was the player's choice which cap they would wear, and the players did not always make the most popular choice. For instance, Nolan Ryan entered the Hall wearing a Texas Rangers cap on his plaque, even though he only spent five seasons with the Rangers, and had longer and more successful tenures with the Astros and Angels.

However, in light of rumors that teams were offering number retirement, money or organizational jobs in exchange for the cap designation (Dave Winfield was widely rumored to have made such a deal in 2001 with the San Diego Padres), the Hall decided to change the policy. Although the decision-making process would be a mutual responsibility, the Hall - not the players - would have the final say in such matters. Gary Carter was the first to test this policy; he won his only championship with the New York Mets, and wanted his induction plaque to depict him wearing a Met cap. The Hall of Fame decided that his plaque would instead show Carter with a Montreal Expos cap. Wade Boggs was in a similar situation; he won his only championship as a member of the 1996 New York Yankees, but posted his best career numbers in twice as much time while wearing the Boston Red Sox uniform. He went in wearing the "B" on his cap despite his acrimonious relationship with Red Sox management. Catfish Hunter, though harboring no ill will towards either of his employers (the Oakland Athletics and New York Yankees) could not decide which cap he preferred; he had nearly identical statistics and postseason success on both teams. He instead went in wearing a cap without a logo.

^^^^

Oh Frank! lol

to the uber frank supporters on sox talk, it would've been a cold day in hell or Chicago for that matter if Frank took the same deal Beane gave him to return to the sox and i think Frank is the greatest white sox to ever put on pale hose.

QUOTE(GasHeGone @ Oct 6, 2006 -> 08:45 PM)

Ok, that would be weird as hell. And jesus people, there is absolutely 0 chance, NONE that he goes into the hall with an A's hat. I don't even know how that thought is even in peoples minds.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 7, 2006 -> 07:49 AM)
Ok, that would be weird as hell. And jesus people, there is absolutely 0 chance, NONE that he goes into the hall with an A's hat. I don't even know how that thought is even in peoples minds.

Sounds like you are scared to death it might actually happen! Well rest easy. Due to new policy he will likely not go in with an A's cap. Instead, we will have the pride of seeing him go to the hall disgruntled because he has to wear a Sox cap. Fitting.

SFF

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Oct 7, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
Sounds like you are scared to death it might actually happen! Well rest easy. Due to new policy he will likely not go in with an A's cap. Instead, we will have the pride of seeing him go to the hall disgruntled because he has to wear a Sox cap. Fitting.

SFF

LOL, I'm not scared of anything. There is 0 shot of it happening. I have no clue why it's even being talked about.