Uribes leg kick

Hitting coach Greg Walker and Uribe employed a front-foot tap with his swing at the end of 2005, a move which helped Uribe produce a .292 average and seven home runs during the season's final month. But that foot tap has been removed during the trials and tribulations of 2006, replaced by a spread-out stance already used by Pablo Ozuna.

"He didn't have the success [of last year], but the leg kick wasn't the problem," said Walker of the change in Uribe's approach. "We got him to do it last year just to slow him down.

"Juan wants to charge the pitcher and go get the ball. I like his aggressiveness and toughness. I mean, that's who he is. He's not scared. But he has to be able to control the anxiety or the tempo or the effort. He's never going to be a calm hitter, going up there without a care in the world, but he's got to get more under control than what he has been."

Walker explained how a number of different changes have been made to Uribe's approach and stance, but the changes come more within a couple of weeks at a time, as opposed to something happening on a daily basis. The very knowledgeable White Sox hitting coach also pointed out that the spread stance has worked to some extent for Uribe -- 3-for-10 in this series and 6-for-22 on the road trip, citing a third-inning home run hit by Uribe on Monday as one of his best at-bats of the year.

Finding an early stretch of tough luck has not helped Uribe's offensive production. But Walker believes Uribe needs to try to do a little less with each at-bat, with his focus being to get a good feel at the plate and run with it.

"We are starting to get some results, but it's a mental thing and he will have to let himself relax," Walker said. "He's always had great streaks, and when he hits, we score runs. He's a dynamic offensive player when he gets going.

"We are trying to be patient. It is going to happen, and hopefully soon."

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Thomas and Hriniak were the ones who taught him the leg kick. Another reason why Greg Walker should be canned and Hriniak should be brought back. Walker sucks.

I for one think having Uribe spread his legs out and try to steady his head on his swing (a-la the changes andruw jones made before 05) would do wonders to help him see the ball better, but I just haven't seen anything that suggests he's actually spreading his legs out or balancing more at the plate this year over last.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
I for one think having Uribe spread his legs out and try to steady his head on his swing (a-la the changes andruw jones made before 05) would do wonders to help him see the ball better, but I just haven't seen anything that suggests he's actually spreading his legs out or balancing more at the plate this year over last.

His front foot is the bulk of the problem. The minute it flys open and he starts to spin his hips if he makes contact, its for s***.

When he keeps closed off, he hits a lot better.

I could care less about his batting stance, leg kick or anything else.

Bottom line is his approach is awful, he swings at a lot of garbage and he needs to pick it up soon or he is looking at being platooned with Cintron.

Hopefully the hot weather will heat up Uribe's bat, we definitely need him to start hitting.

Thanks to whitesox.com for answering our question. Since their writer

writes for the internet, he probably got the idea from fans wondering where

the frick was the leg kick.

A platoon idea wouldn't be bad right now. Oz gives guys a lot of days off

anyway.

p.s. why does Ichiro play every day? Kind of unheard of nowadays.