For all you chicken littles out there...

Greg Hibbard

Prior to this roadtrip, Sox had gone 30-11 in their previous 41 games without even playing their best ball. THIRTY AND ELEVEN. That's a better 41 game clip than think the Sox have ever posted in recent memory. They sure as hell didn't do that last year.

2-5 is nothing to panic about whatsoever. Occasionally teams get beaten by divisional rivals on the road 3/4. Ask Cleveland about some fun times they had in KC earlier this year. Last year the Sox lost SEVEN IN A ROW and eight of nine in mid august. Some perspective, people. This team is still on pace to win 100 games for christ's sake!

Yes, the starting pitching, defense, and bullpen seem to be not as good this year thus far. We can fix most of these problems, in my opinion.

DEFENSE

Leave Anderson in center, no matter what the f*** his batting average is. I don't care if he hits .100. We are NOT having a problem scoring runs whatsoever! We absolutely need his defense. Ozuna and Mackowiak are pinch hitters/runners. Uribe will straighten his problems out. Dye and Pods have never been spectacular defenders, but what you are seeing right now is just a case of when it rains, it pours.

BULLPEN

Okay, Jenks appears to be just fine generally. Cotts' ERA and WHIP are now down to very respectable numbers, and will continue to fall. Thorton had an amazing May and outside of last night, appears to be the real deal. Politte has respectable numbers. So we have a closer and three set up guys. Obviously this Nelson thing did not work. Fine, we tried something, it didn't work. Obviously McCarthy is not really that comfortable in this role some of the time, but he has shown flashes of brilliance. He is still a kid and needs a long leash.

I'll take my chances with Starter/Thorton/Politte/Cotts/Jenks against anyone any day of the week, and probably win 3/5 of those games on average. So what if some relievers had a s***ty night. It happens.

STARTING PITCHING

Jose didn't have it last night. Fine. The guy has had it for f***ing SIX STRAIGHT MONTHS, give him a break! Buehrle has been up and down but he seems to be generally moving in the right direction. Freddy is freddy. Not too far off of career numbers. Javy has been well more than we ever could have hoped for. The problem has been Garland, Garland, and more Garland. I'm not all that concerned. Even if the guy has a total busto year he will still win 10 games because of this offense. He has the capability to be dominant at times, and I expect no less than 4-5 more quality starts from him.

The only thing I'm really worried about is injuries. We are still a 100 win team EASILY, in my opinion.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
His numbers are trending downward since a really bad april.

I'm not talking about numbers, have you seen him pitch at all? Inherited runners scoring don't count onto your ERA and his WHIP went up from 1.70 to 1.92 for MAY, that's not a good sign at all.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
Fine, Politte doesn't quite have it, but I don't think that's 100% of the problem. Are we going to spend three pages nitpicking about a right handed relief pitcher or are we going to examine other issues as well?

competitive teams need set up men...we have none

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
Fine, Politte doesn't quite have it, but I don't think that's 100% of the problem. Are we going to spend three pages nitpicking about a right handed relief pitcher or are we going to examine other issues as well?

It's real hard to have a successful bullpen when you don't have a single reliable right handed reliever. I'd say that's a huge part of the problem and mentioning it should not be considered "nitpicking". Politte's last 5 outings have been real bad, it's not a good sign, the one thing this team is in need of more than anything is a righty out of the pen who can get a guy out every once and a while.

At this point McCarthy adds little value to this team. He doesn't seem to have what it takes to come out of the pen. He should be in Charlotte pitching every 5 days. Unfortunately I have no idea who replaces his spot.

As for Politte, he is toast. He should only be used for mop up duties.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
At this point McCarthy adds little value to this team. He doesn't seem to have what it takes to come out of the pen. He should be in Charlotte pitching every 5 days. Unfortunately I have no idea who replaces his spot.

As for Politte, he is toast. He should only be used for mop up duties.

I think Ozzie still babies BMac too much, and they haven't used him consistently enough for him to get into a rhythm. That's got to be close for impossible for BMac to be successful, when he's been used on a consistent basis every 5 days for his entire baseball career.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
I would think that a decent right handed relief pitcher would not be that hard to acquire at the deadline, no?

Also, is Hermanson still a possibility?

He's a possibility but not one to expect anything at all from. It's best to move on, and if we get anything out of him, we're damn lucky.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)
I would think that a decent right handed relief pitcher would not be that hard to acquire at the deadline, no?

Also, is Hermanson still a possibility?

I wouldn't count on getting anything out of him this year.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
I think Ozzie still babies BMac too much, and they haven't used him consistently enough for him to get into a rhythm. That's got to be close for impossible for BMac to be successful, when he's been used on a consistent basis every 5 days for his entire baseball career.

I feel the same way, i think hes having a hard time getting a feel for his pitches(esp his change-up and curve) when he has been used sporadically.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
I feel the same way, i think hes having a hard time getting a feel for his pitches(esp his change-up and curve) when he has been used sporadically.

If we want McCarthy to work as a reliever this year...and ozzie isn't going to put him out there every other day no matter what (Make it a mission) then BMac should be in AAA for 2-3 weeks pitching every day or every other day out of the pen.

We're trying to turn a starter into a reliever for a season, and still having him work every 4th or 5th day? That's a recipe for disaster.

Is the sky fallin? Nope. Are this teams weaknesses getting more and more magnified everyday? You bet your ass! This team has some HUGE holes. Im sure kenny is on the phone. but we have no bullpen besides bobby. no complete cf and a starting staff that is dreadfully underperforming. also it looks like we just jumpstarted the indians season and the tigers are leading us. im unsure if this team can actaully turn it around. i hope they do, but i can't say that im sure it will happen.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
If you hate threads like this, I can't imagine how you feel about replying to a thread like this

The point is, there's nothing to reply to. There's no substance. Anderson's hitting badly? I think it will work itself out. Uribe too. I can feel it. Politte's sucked? Well, I really think he's respectable now. We have little more than our closer in the pen? Well, I'm not worried.

There's no analysis, just 'In my gut is happy times...' Whoopee. A thread like this says 'Shut up, anyone saying anything negative -- it bums me out'. If the team's playing like s***, then fans aren't going to be happy, deal with it.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
Don't Kid yourself, i too think the bullpen will be fine but Politte doesn't have "respectable numbers".

Im very worried about the bullpen myself. Sure Thornton looked "good" the last 2 games he was out there,

but I dont think everyone has settled into their "roles" and Ozz has been stuck "guessing" who is going to show up out of the BP. Jenks has settled down nicely, but you know you cant rely on just ONE guy

in your BP. Our starting pitching was a little lacking lately and usually the Offense/Defense will come up and carry us, but that didnt happen.