Contreras's turn

VAfan

I think the period of treading water for our team started the day we put Jose Contreras on the disabled list. Since then, the Sox are 0-5 in the games where his turn came up, with two losses behind the replacement pitchers, and 3 losses since Jose came back himself (only one of which involved a poor performance by Jose).

I think we'll regain our equilibrium soon and go back on a tear. But it just highlights how important Contreras has been to the team. He's still our best pitcher, and our team cannot dominate again unless it starts winning the games he starts.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
Contreras deserved the loss as much as anyone did in yesterday's game. The pen was bad, but so was Jose. If it wasn't for Jermaine Dye, the pen would have never had the chance to blow the game in the first place.

MAKE A TRADE

Since Contreras went on the DL on May 10, the Sox have been 0-5 in his slot and 11-13 overall. In the stretch before he went on the DL, we were 22-5.

We need to start winning for our "horse" again and start feeding off his dominance. When he's beatable, the Sox aren't the same club.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
Since Contreras went on the DL on May 10, the Sox have been 0-5 in his slot and 11-13 overall. In the stretch before he went on the DL, we were 22-5.

We need to start winning for our "horse" again and start feeding off his dominance. When he's beatable, the Sox aren't the same club.

Actually we need all of our starting pitchers to pitch well. This idea of them suddenly sucking because the Count went on the DL is wishy washy at best. That spot in the rotation you can blame for their specific issues, but Buerhle, Garcia, Garland and Vazquez have all been in the league long enough and have had enough sucess to keep their own streaks going. The reason for our pitching is the same issues, control and pitching ahead. Garland had his best start of the year, he was pitching in getting ahead. Garcia needs to do that. If our starting pitching can resume throwing strikes and making the teams beat them instead of giving free passes we will be okay.

I'm glad to see us get a win for Jose tonight and end the slide we had been on in his slot. I wasn't able to see the game, but I'm a little concerned about him toying with his arm angles again. Seems like his walks and hits allowed are both up. But he battled and kept us within a run until we took over the lead.

Sure, it was a team effort. But we have to have the pitching to win consistently.