Boston

vandy125

The wife and I are looking at taking a trip out to Boston (possibly seeing a White Sox game and yes, I know I will have to pay a lot to see that) in September. The thing is that I have no idea about the area. What are the good parts of the city, places to stay away from, has anyone been there and saw something that we should definitely go and see, etc?

Just looking for some good ideas, and some info about the area. I don't want to end up staying in a hotel in a bad part of town (already did that in Cleveland even though the hotel was nice).

get the lobstah and the chowdah! :P

But seriously, it's an awesome town

If you are going to a game – heck, even if you are not – stay at the Hotel Buckminster. It's literally around the block from Fenway. It's a 100 year or so old building and it's lacking in a lot of modern ammenities, but you can't beat the rates (they do go up a bit on game nights), and you get a free breakfast with each night's stay.

Driving in the city sucks. If you are driving, park your car and do not drive the whole time you are there (you can get a discounted parking voucher at Buckminster). Get to know and love the "T" - Boston's subway system. Best US metro transit system there is. 15 minutes from anywhere. If you are flying in and don't have a ton of luggage, it's only a two train ride to the hotel and there is a stop a block away.

Definately take the time to do the historic stuff – Freedom Trail, Revere House, old North Church, etc.

The New England aquarium is top notch – right on the water. While at the wharf, take a 1/2-day whale watching trip out to Stellwagen Bank – seeing humpbacks in northern waters in September is still likely. Also get a meal at Legal Seafood at the wharf if you have never eaten at a Legal's before. Best seafood resturaunt on the planet!

Couple of decent brewpubs. The best one is a small one out in Cambridge. The most convenient one, right by Fenway is Boston Beer Works. I'm not typically a light pubbrew drinker, but the brewmaster here does better with his light stuff. The Bambino Gold and his Berliner-style weiss (with a dash of soodruff or respberry syrup) are quite good.

One of the best beer bars I've ever been to is the Anam Cara Publick House on Beacon Street (same street as Buckminster, a couple miles down). Massive selection of Belgian brews, plus all the New England stuff like Allagash, plus finally I found a place on the east coast the carries Stone's line in draft and bottles.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
Expensive s*** hole. Not nice anywhere. Ate in a 4 star resturant and there were mice running around the dining room. Fenway sucks worse than Wrigley.

Harsh, Steff. :chair

Fenway is Fenway.

I've not run into the rodent-infested resturaunt problem, but that is probably because I can't afford the 4-star dining. :D

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
get the lobstah and the chowdah! :P

But seriously, it's an awesome town

If you are going to a game – heck, even if you are not – stay at the Hotel Buckminster. It's literally around the block from Fenway. It's a 100 year or so old building and it's lacking in a lot of modern ammenities, but you can't beat the rates (they do go up a bit on game nights), and you get a free breakfast with each night's stay.

Driving in the city sucks. If you are driving, park your car and do not drive the whole time you are there (you can get a discounted parking voucher at Buckminster). Get to know and love the "T" - Boston's subway system. Best US metro transit system there is. 15 minutes from anywhere. If you are flying in and don't have a ton of luggage, it's only a two train ride to the hotel and there is a stop a block away.

Definately take the time to do the historic stuff – Freedom Trail, Revere House, old North Church, etc.

The New England aquarium is top notch – right on the water. While at the wharf, take a 1/2-day whale watching trip out to Stellwagen Bank – seeing humpbacks in northern waters in September is still likely. Also get a meal at Legal Seafood at the wharf if you have never eaten at a Legal's before. Best seafood resturaunt on the planet!

Couple of decent brewpubs. The best one is a small one out in Cambridge. The most convenient one, right by Fenway is Boston Beer Works. I'm not typically a light pubbrew drinker, but the brewmaster here does better with his light stuff. The Bambino Gold and his Berliner-style weiss (with a dash of soodruff or respberry syrup) are quite good.

One of the best beer bars I've ever been to is the Anam Cara Publick House on Beacon Street (same street as Buckminster, a couple miles down). Massive selection of Belgian brews, plus all the New England stuff like Allagash, plus finally I found a place on the east coast the carries Stone's line in draft and bottles.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Harsh, Steff. :chair

Fenway is Fenway.

I've not run into the rodent-infested resturaunt problem, but that is probably because I can't afford the 4-star dining. :D

Thanks for the info Jim! I had been wondering about the subway system there. It looked like you can get just about anywhere on it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
Expensive s*** hole. Not nice anywhere. Ate in a 4 star resturant and there were mice running around the dining room. Fenway sucks worse than Wrigley.

Wow. I didn't expect to hear that about Fenway. Do they have the troughs too....uh...nevermind..wrong person to ask that.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
I also wasn't blown away by Boston.

Where's the skyline?

Where's Fenwayville?

It feels like parts of the southside, except the whole city is that way. Lotta pubs and taverns.

I think that is two reasons I like it so much right there!

I know I can see it on a clear day across Lake Michigan from Michigan City, and that is about 30-35 miles.

To me I love the skyline of a city, as it really tells a tale about the town. Chicagos skyline is so massive and strong, it gives you a feeling of the size of the city.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
Expensive s*** hole. Not nice anywhere. Ate in a 4 star resturant and there were mice running around the dining room.

But those were the best, damn-looking mice in the East Coast!

Those weren't some s***tin' 2-star mice, right?

:D

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
But those were the best, damn-looking mice in the East Coast!

Those weren't some s***tin' 2-star mice, right?

:D

We saw the 2 star ones also. The rickshaw ride from the hotel to the park was quite the experience. The park sucks. The bathrooms are vile. The food wasn't bad at the park, but I figured if a star resturant wasn't concerned about the mice.. Fenway surely wasn't either. :puke

And if you ever have to pick up tickets via will call... good luck. Get there at least 2 hours before game time and expect to wait. And wait. And wait. They are the most un-organized park I have ever been to. And a lot of the fans were assholes.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
We saw the 2 star ones also. The rickshaw ride from the hotel to the park was quite the experience. The park sucks. The bathrooms are vile. The food wasn't bad at the park, but I figured if a star resturant wasn't concerned about the mice.. Fenway surely wasn't either. :puke

And if you ever have to pick up tickets via will call... good luck. Get there at least 2 hours before game time and expect to wait. And wait. And wait. They are the most un-organized park I have ever been to. And a lot of the fans were assholes.

Assholes in Boston?? Get out!!!

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)

I agree, BTW. When we took a trip out there a few years back they made Rob and I go back to our car and remove our White Sox jackets because, as they put it, " they were not responsible for what might happen to us."

We told them that we were not obnoxious fans. We would clap politetly and respect their field. But they said the fact we wore anythig but Red Sox gear made us targets to all fans.

Nice place.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
I agree, BTW. When we took a trip out there a few years back they made Rob and I go back to our car and remove our White Sox jackets because, as they put it, " they were not responsible for what might happen to us."

We told them that we were not obnoxious fans. We would clap politetly and respect their field. But they said the fact we wore anythig but Red Sox gear made us targets to all fans.

Nice place.

Ouch, are you saying that I should think twice about wearing my White Sox gear? Did you go to a game with the Sox playing?

My Fenway experience echos Ribbie's and Steff's. Very unorganized, crappy park (if you thought leg room was tight at the Cell, or at Wrigley, just wait!), and very rude fans, as I had my Sox cap on. They were playing the D-rays, and they still would not shut up. Made the whole game experience quite unenjoyable. I can't remember where we stayed, but the hotel seemed nice enough, no mice noticed. And whoever said to not drive was correct. The roads suck, and the drivers are worse.

I liked Boston. Stay in the Back Bay, Copley Place. You most likely can get a 4 star hotel for $120 a night or less on priceline.com. Check www.biddingfortravel.com for help with priceline bidding. The priceline 4 star hotels at Copley are the Marriott, the Westin (where the Sox stay) and Sheraton primarily. We stayed at the Sheraton. It really was a nice hotel, and probably had the nicest fastest service of any hotel I have ever stayed. They all are right next to the Prudential building, and are all accessable to each other without going outside. The Back Bay is pretty nice. There are a lot of restaurants and bars. We went to some fancy restaurant for my birthday, and I didn't see any rats, although I probably wasn't in condition to notice. I wore a White Sox windbreaker to the games, and had no problems. One thing you may try if you don't have tickets, is the Red Sox release seats day of game. When I went in 2003 I didn't have seats to the Saturday night game. We took a walk to Fenway just so I could be sure of the way, and when we got there there was a line a couple blocks long. It was September so I figured some playoff tickets must be going on sale, but a guy in line said standing room and extras for that night's game were going to be made available. So we got in line. I had called the Red Sox box office the day before, so I still had the number on my cell phone, and dialed them while in line. I got 2 in the front row by Pesky's Pole. We did the tourist thing and went on a duck tour, which was interesting. Anytime you drive past a church financed by George Washington, it gets your attention. You are within walking distance to Fenway. I didn't mind Fenway, but I really didn't check it out much. I pretty much got to the game, sat in my seat, and never left. I also was in the front row for the 2 games I saw, so my experience was pretty positive.

Guest JimH

Buy or check out from the library a book called Access Boston. It's a series of travel guides and we used it as our bible while in Boston. It explains the "T" system (which is a terrific way to get around). We didn't stay by Fenway 'cause there wasn't a lot to do there. Take the ballpark tour, it's fairly cheap and you get a flavor for the park.

Yes the park is cramped and the only thing remotely worth eating there is a Fenway Frank. You are way better off eating in some of the small Italian delis in the North End and walking around the city as much as you can. The Freedom Trail is very cool, be adventurous and stay away from the tourist traps when looking for lunch/dinner. We went to an old historic tavern/restaurant in the Theater District called Jacob Wirth's, which was quite good and inexpensive.

A city is what you make of it. If you take the time to get talking with the locals, do a little research, etc. you will do fine and you'll have a great time.

We went to a restaurant called the Atlantic Fish Company on Boylston St. It was very nice and the food was good. Actor Mark Walberg (sp?) was eating a couple of tables away, for whatever that is worth.

Legal Sea Foods is a restaurant well known for its clam chowder. Definitely try some Boston clam chowdah while you are there.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 08:46 AM)
We went to a restaurant called the Atlantic Fish Company on Boylston St. It was very nice and the food was good. Actor Mark Walberg (sp?) was eating a couple of tables away, for whatever that is worth.

Legal Sea Foods is a restaurant well known for its clam chowder. Definitely try some Boston clam chowdah while you are there.

I had some lobster at the Atlantic Fish Company. It was a nice place.