Broken Record

mmmmmbeeer

Seriously, probably 80% of our losses have revolved around one of the following:

1.) BA can't hit

2.) Mackowiak can't field

3.) Uribe's O or D

4.) Bullpen

So, two positions and a couple bullpen guys have made this team look like absolute s***. It seems that after every f***ing loss it's the same conversation, BA, Mack, Uribe, or the pen. It's getting old to us as fans, I imagine our fearless GM is climbing up the walls with frustration.

KW, I hope you're ready to empty the farm. Even just solving two of the four issues, IE make a deal for a CF/RP package, or SS/RP package, and we're in great shape. This is too good of a team to not improve it, regardless of cost. We're so close.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 03:40 AM)
This is too good of a team to not improve it, regardless of cost. We're so close.

This team has a lot of holes. It's way too early to make statements like "they're too good of a team". We might get back to the elite level, but we're not exactly a well-oiled machine like we were last season (and yes, I know the records aren't too much different).

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
Anyone like to see Montero get another shot?

How about real major leaguers who know how to throw strikes, not walk people, nor s*** the bed.

Nice f***ing pen for the reigning world series champs. This is our achiles heel. This is our 5th starter crap. The bullpen comes out, it might as well be Felix Diaz or Arnie Munoz running to the mound. Same f***ing thing.

You've got to believe our starting rotation will kick ass and dominate

through August and September and we'll still win it going away.

But because of no Hermy and no Rowand we are definitely a worse

team than a year ago.

p.s.es that have nothing to do with this thread:

Jamie Moyer just 2 hit the s*** Royals. How old is he? 48?

p.s. Frank Thomas is starting to put together a decent season. He's got

11 homers and is starting to hit. Not that I want him but it's obvious

our medical staff was wrong in thinking he was finished.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)

team than a year ago.

Whats his BA again?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)

team than a year ago.

I'm happy for Moyer.

At least something good happened today to one of my favorites.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
This team has a lot of holes. It's way too early to make statements like "they're too good of a team". We might get back to the elite level, but we're not exactly a well-oiled machine like we were last season (and yes, I know the records aren't too much different).

I agree. The impression I get, watching and listening to the games, is that the 2006 Sox aren't a team yet in the way that the '05 Sox were a team. This is a collection of good, even superb, players, but the hunger that fueled last year's team isn't evident to me. There have been flashes of it, but only when things are going well. I have yet to see this group come through a bad patch stronger and more together.

I sure hope they get to that point, though, and soon.

IMO the bullpen is the only *serious* weakness on this club, technically. Pretty much the only pen pitcher who doesn't make me nervous as hell when he comes in, is Jenks. For some reason that kid radiates complete command, and I love that.

QUOTE(henry wiggins @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 08:27 AM)
I agree. The impression I get, watching and listening to the games, is that the 2006 Sox aren't a team yet in the way that the '05 Sox were a team. This is a collection of good, even superb, players, but the hunger that fueled last year's team isn't evident to me. There have been flashes of it, but only when things are going well. I have yet to see this group come through a bad patch stronger and more together.

I sure hope they get to that point, though, and soon.

IMO the bullpen is the only *serious* weakness on this club, technically. Pretty much the only pen pitcher who doesn't make me nervous as hell when he comes in, is Jenks. For some reason that kid radiates complete command, and I love that.

We'd be better off with 2 NL pitchers at the bottom of our lineup, atleast they know how to put down a bunt. I agree that the pen is the biggest problem but Anderson' bat is hurting the defense due to Ozzie's need to put Mack in the lineup late in games for offensive opportunities.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
We'd be better off with 2 NL pitchers at the bottom of our lineup, atleast they know how to put down a bunt. I agree that the pen is the biggest problem but Anderson' bat is hurting the defense due to Ozzie's need to put Mack in the lineup late in games for offensive opportunities.

I am coming to reluctantly agree about Anderson. I just like the kid so much, or what I have seen of him, and the potential for a success story is there ... but potential if it isn't realized is worthless, so maybe it is time to deal with the weakness in CF.

Gotta be a tough call for Ozzie and KW both, though. Deal BA away and if he does have a great future, they'll look bad for giving up on him. They've got to balance this year and future years when making player assessments and trades.

Brian Anderson can field, but can't hit his way out of a paper bag. Uribe is getting worse and worse as far as swinging wildly and at everything. He is a good fielder, but when you try and be a hot dog and make a mistake in the field it becomes magnified because you can't hit for do-do. Relief pitching is just plain screwed up. They can't get the first man out, walk too many hitters and give up homers. But, it's early yet so my feeling is we can still get what we have turned around and get back on top. 2 1/2 games out on June 3rd is not the end of the world. But, I think we do need to end the BA experiment in CF and get someone who can field and HIT.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
Uribe is getting worse and worse as far as swinging wildly and at everything.

As awful as he has been this year he's had a handful of hits over the last 10 games or so. Perhaps he's slowing breaking out of his funk?

Just checked ESPN.com and he is hitting .304 in the last 7 days.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
Brian Anderson can field, but can't hit his way out of a paper bag. Uribe is getting worse and worse as far as swinging wildly and at everything. He is a good fielder, but when you try and be a hot dog and make a mistake in the field it becomes magnified because you can't hit for do-do. Relief pitching is just plain screwed up. They can't get the first man out, walk too many hitters and give up homers. But, it's early yet so my feeling is we can still get what we have turned around and get back on top. 2 1/2 games out on June 3rd is not the end of the world. But, I think we do need to end the BA experiment in CF and get someone who can field and HIT.

Juan is coming around as someone already stated his last 7 days hes batting .304, its the lack of a complete CF thats killing us. You keep Anderson out there and he makes that catch, you get someone along the lines of Corey Patterson and he makes that catch and gets on base and steals a bag(22SB/1CS), not only can the kid hit and has turned his swing into more of a line drive swing but he can lay down the bunt and play great CF. I turly believe that Anderson will eventually become a great all around player, but i don't know if KW is going to wait for his growing pains at the plate to go away.