***6/3/2006 Official Game Thread***

Brian

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)
Really, how many more times does Ozzie need to put Politte in the game to get it through his head he shouldn't be pitching unless the game is out of hand one way or the other?

How long was Boone Logan on this team.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)
Really, how many more times does Ozzie need to put Politte in the game to get it through his head he shouldn't be pitching unless the game is out of hand one way or the other?

Who else are we going to use? We can't use Bobby for 2 innings every night. We gotta hope Cliff finds it or something.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)

Even in that case, do we really want the other team to get some free runs and catch up? Politte actually looked worse tonight than he has all year. And that says something. His control is gone.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
How long was Boone Logan on this team.

Exactly. One game got Boone chased to Triple A. What does it take to chase Politte into his unconditional release.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
Exactly. One game got Boone chased to Triple A. What does it take to chase Politte into his unconditional release.

A legit arm to replace him with, something we don't exactly have at hand.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
Who else are we going to use? We can't use Bobby for 2 innings every night. We gotta hope Cliff finds it or something.

Who cares about righty right lefty lefty match-ups with him. He's terrible. Use anybody. He should not be in a game that basically hasn't been decided yet. Even Hawk said if Matthews got a little under the only out Politte recorded it probably would have been on the concourse.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)

I really think that we've got to give the role to Bmac. Give him a chance to produce as the regular rt handed set up guy.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
Who cares about righty right lefty lefty match-ups with him. He's terrible. Use anybody. He should not be in a game that basically hasn't been decided yet. Even Hawk said if Matthews got a little under the only out Politte recorded it probably would have been on the concourse.

There were really no other options, unless you want Thornton to come in and face all of those righties. Him or Bobby and we don't want BObby going 2 if we can help it. THere weren't many options open to him.

QUOTE(Grindersrule @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
I really think that we've got to give the role to Bmac. Give him a chance to produce as the regular rt handed set up guy.

He pitched a lot the previous two nights, and he got the loss both nights.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)

Our bullpen is far from stellar right now. And if you run the pitchers into the ground that are decent, because you don't want to use someone, those decent pitchers will just get worse. There's absolutely nothing that can be done to change that until we get some new pitchers in that pen. We have nothing servicable in the farm, and trades won't exactly happen that soon for someone of actual value.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)
There were really no other options, unless you want Thornton to come in and face all of those righties. Him or Bobby and we don't want BObby going 2 if we can help it. THere weren't many options open to him.

Cliff is missing location, and getting rocked when he leaves pitches over the plate. Just saying there are no options and letting him get rocked night after night is not the answer. I am sure KW is working on something. Loyality aside this team is built to win this year.

Guest JimH

Politte needs mop up duty, I'm sorry but they need to send down McCarthy and let him be a starter, and then they need to bring in a righthanded reliever ... and everyone says go out and get one, there aren't many (or any) available at this point. Nor were there many this past offseason (if any).

Therefore, that means you have to go with your best minor league guy for the next month or so, until such time as the trade market opens up a bit more. Even then, there still won't be much availble. Roberto Hernandez from the Pirates? Ummm, ok. He might be a tad better than Nelson. They have no other choice, notwithstanding all the trade scenarios floated on this board. They need to give someone a shot to step it up and perform. Whether that's Montero or Farnsworth, whatever. Somebody, anybody.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
Cliff is missing location, and getting rocked when he leaves pitches over the plate. Just saying there are no options and letting him get rocked night after night is not the answer. I am sure KW is working on something. Loyality aside this team is built to win this year.

I don't think loyalty has anything to do with it. Politte's still pitching because we have no one readily available in the farm to step in and be servicable. And it will still take a bit more time before someone of value becomes available for trade too.

I don't think anyone on here disagrees with Politte being awful. Jenks, Cotts, and Thornton can't throw every night. Someone's got to throw some pitches.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 09:17 PM)
Politte needs mop up duty, I'm sorry but they need to send down McCarthy and let him be a starter, and then they need to bring in a righthanded reliever ... and everyone says go out and get one, there aren't many (or any) available at this point. Nor were there many this past offseason (if any).

Therefore, that means you have to go with your best minor league guy for the next month or so, until such time as the trade market opens up a bit more. Even then, there still won't be much availble. Roberto Hernandez from the Pirates? Ummm, ok. He might be a tad better than Nelson. They have no other choice, notwithstanding all the trade scenarios floated on this board. They need to give someone a shot to step it up and perform. Whether that's Montero or Farnsworth, whatever. Somebody, anybody.

I agree. There has to be somebody servicable in the minors that can be more than a warm body in the bullpen.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)

I'm not excusing him, he sucks, but he's out there and Bmac wasn't avaible and Nelson blew last night. ANd I would love for KW to go get something but there won't be very much worth anything out there until the trade deadline so we'll have to go with a Montero or Farnsworth.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)
Our bullpen is far from stellar right now. And if you run the pitchers into the ground that are decent, because you don't want to use someone, those decent pitchers will just get worse. There's absolutely nothing that can be done to change that until we get some new pitchers in that pen. We have nothing servicable in the farm, and trades won't exactly happen that soon for someone of actual value.

Its an upset if Politte gets anybody out at this point. Any of the gas cans at Charlotte can be at least as good as him. I say give one of them a try.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 08:20 PM)
Its an upset if Politte gets anybody out at this point. Any of the gas cans at Charlotte can be at least as good as him. I say give one of them a try.

And that's what will probably happen. Montero or Farnsworth will be up soon.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
I'm not excusing him, he sucks, but he's out there and Bmac wasn't avaible and Nelson blew last night. ANd I would love for KW to go get something but there won't be very much worth anything out there until the trade deadline so we'll have to go with a Montero or Farnsworth.

As unattractive as those options are, and I agree they are probably the only ones, they are better options than Cliff. He looks like he's going to cry on the mound.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)

It would be tough to be much worse than Politte at this point. Which brings the question, what is Billy Koch doing these days?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 10:20 PM)

I don't want to make a move just for the sake of making one through our farm system. People are seriously desperate enough to call up Montero.

Everyone's in agreeance that Politte's not a safe bet for us anymore. However, I want someone that can get the job done. Not just another POS.