Pujols hurt

RME JICO

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
Now i will have to listen to my Cardinal-fan-friend complain about pujols being hurt.

What made me mad, was someone on the Flubs saying "hey, nobody felt sorry for us when Derrek Lee went down". Excuse me, the media has been weeping and wailing for you guys for weeks ............

Albert Pujols on Monday spoke to the media for the first time since injuring himself Saturday afternoon in the second inning against the Cubs, and he said he doesn't know when he will return.

"It could be two weeks, or three or four, five, six," Pujols said. "Whatever week it is going to be, I am going to take my time. I just don't want to come back too soon. They told me to be careful and be 100 percent, because you don't want that to happen again. The second time around is always worse."

Pujols, placed on the disabled list for the first time in his career with a right oblique strain, had an MRI scan before Monday night's contest against the Reds. As of 5 p.m. CT, results still were inconclusive.

Cardinals head athletic trainer Barry Weinberg said Sunday that Pujols' injury was a Grade 2 or Grade 3 strain, an injury that could mean significant time on the disabled list.

The St. Louis slugger had his lower back tightly taped a few hours before game time, but he could be heard whistling in the clubhouse. Pujols said he had no trouble breathing and he could still lift weights that did not affect his injury.

For the second straight game, Jim Edmonds, himself fighting an abdominal injury, started at first base in Pujols' absence.