Why did CBS hire Katie????

juddling

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
Or maybe its because they think they'll get more viewers and ad dollars with Katie Couric.

But will thery really? Do you watch a news program for the host? Do you know of anyone that has switched networks or programs to follow a host? Sure, you have Stern on radio, but I am talking TV news. Or even football for that matter. I hate that networks keep giving Madden a job, and giving him a raise each time they do! He stinks, and I don't know of anyone that would watch a different football game just because he is announcing. Locally, I liked watching Ron Majors on Channel 5, but when he switched to ABC, I didn't follow. I just don't see the appeal.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
But will thery really? Do you watch a news program for the host? Do you know of anyone that has switched networks or programs to follow a host? Sure, you have Stern on radio, but I am talking TV news. Or even football for that matter. I hate that networks keep giving Madden a job, and giving him a raise each time they do! He stinks, and I don't know of anyone that would watch a different football game just because he is announcing. Locally, I liked watching Ron Majors on Channel 5, but when he switched to ABC, I didn't follow. I just don't see the appeal.

When Rather left CBS and Scheiffer took over, CBS News's ratings began a steady climb that hasn't stopped yet. When Jennings left ABC/Died, ABC News began gradually giving up the top spot in news ratings. I believe NBC with Brian Williams currently has taken over the top spot that ABC had a stranglehold on for quite a while with Jennings, IIRC.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
haha, she's the perfect replacement for Rather

She's on the air what, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year or so? I have no idea how much vacation time she got. Probably well over 200 shows per year. And they pull together like 6 or 7 quotes per year, which clearly proves she's a bleeding heart liberal. Yeah, there's some logic. Because I'm sure it'd be impossible for someone to sit down and come up with 20 times as many statements from the other side (Navy seals Rock!), or from the same side. And I'm sure she didn't read any of those off of a telestrator. And some of those are just really really stupid choices anyway. Like the only people who are annoyed with paying $3 a gallon for gas are Democrats, I'm sure.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
She's on the air what, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year or so? I have no idea how much vacation time she got. Probably well over 200 shows per year. And they pull together like 6 or 7 quotes per year, which clearly proves she's a bleeding heart liberal. Yeah, there's some logic. Because I'm sure it'd be impossible for someone to sit down and come up with 20 times as many statements from the other side (Navy seals Rock!), or from the same side. And I'm sure she didn't read any of those off of a telestrator. And some of those are just really really stupid choices anyway. Like the only people who are annoyed with paying $3 a gallon for gas are Democrats, I'm sure.

oh you're right, i'm sure she is completely unbiased/disciplined journalist.

:santa :santabye :smilesanta

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
But will thery really? Do you watch a news program for the host? Do you know of anyone that has switched networks or programs to follow a host?

yes. yes. yes.

Carol Marin great example.

GREEN/but no they hired her to get more liberal/GREEN

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
I really don't care either way. But I do have to say that it is pathetic that someone would spend the time to gather those quotes for that site.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)

Someone spent all that time gathering her quotes. Followed by, they only find 6 or 7 quotes a year. Both very good, though somewhat conflicting, points.

QUOTE(juddling @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)

sorry...i forgot to put up the intro for the piece i linked.

Memories of Katie’s Dramatic Liberal Bias

Katie Couric departed the Today show after 15 years Wednesday with hours of misty, watercolor memories, it’s quite obvious that CBS knew it was not only getting one of America’s most famous journalists, but also one of America’s most liberal ones. To mark Couric’s NBC career, here’s a very brief listing of some of Katie’s dramatic liberal bias, going all the way back to 1991.

they said the list was a brief one so it's not like they watched years of tape and only found a few instances a year.