Game Thread: 6/04

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
For any of you people who dislike Harrelson and Jackson, they are dispersing excellent baseball strategy info today that only insiders would know. Great stuff. DJ is talking about almost every Texas hitter and how to approach them.

I think DJ is becoming a terrific announcer. He's been more critical this season, which is needed to offset some of Hawk's homerism.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
Some of the other worst hitters in baseball (by batting average):

Mike Sweeney

Jason LaRue

Tomas Perez

Brian Anderson

Casey Kotchman

Marco Scutaro.

He's doing pretty bad, but he's not the worst.

Thank you. The guy's a f***ing rookie.

Guest JimH
I think DJ is becoming a terrific announcer. He's been more critical this season, which is needed to offset some of Hawk's homerism.

DJ is critical in a sublte way, he doesn't whine or beat things to death over and over. He understands the game, understands players will fail, and it's obvious he really studies the league.

He has been great today talking about how to go after these hitters. Similarly, his subtle but pointed criticism of Dusty Baker on the national TV game was extremely well done.

QUOTE(Ndgt10 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
I'm not talking about batting average. You have to be joking if you think Mike Sweeney is at Anderson's level.

You're right. Mike Sweeney is a better hitter than Brian Anderson. But that doesn't mean that Brian Anderson can't improve, which is sort of the point of looking at data like that. Mike Sweeney is not going to hit .170 for the season if he comes back from the DL, and Brian Anderson is not going to hit .158 for his career.

QUOTE(Ndgt10 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
I'm not talking about batting average. You have to be joking if you think Mike Sweeney is at Anderson's level.

Atleast he knows how to take a f***ing walk which is something a lot of hitters never figure out. (Juan Uribe)

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
DJ is critical in a sublte way, he doesn't whine or beat things to death over and over. He understands the game, understands players will fail, and it's obvious he really studies the league.

He has been great today talking about how to go after these hitters. Similarly, his subtle but pointed criticism of Dusty Baker on the national TV game was extremely well done.

Like yesterday when he said, "Right now, when it comes to baseball fundamentals, we suck"?

(I thought that was great, and I know and agree with your point, but I was with my-best-friend-the-Cubs-fan and we both got wide-eyed when DJ said that, and then began laughing hysterically.)

QUOTE(Ndgt10 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
Amazing how much Matthews Jr. has improved since he left the cubs.

It sucks it's against us, but it couldn't happen to a nicer person. I remember hearing a story about how when the Cubs released him, he spent two hours around Wrigley thanking every member of the Cubs organization.