• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
Listen to KW when he says 2005 is over.

That noise is me turning on WGN and rooting for the Cardinals.

I have a calendar, and I know that 2005 is over. :P

I guess I'm confused about the year because I understand that all good teams have rough stretches?

Because EVERY team that wins its division leads by fifteen games at some point!

Oh, were they wild card that year? blah, they made the playoffs, that was the big "Harry Carray's ghost helping the cubs out" year, the Kerry Wood 20 strikeout year, the year Sosa started the juice, etc.

Yes, wild card.

With all due respect, I thought your reference off, and simply call this a "rough stretch" not the Chicago Cubs 1999.

Although, heh, that Wood 20-strike-out game was the first Cubs game I ever watched. And, from start to finish, the last.

Amen, a rough stretch is all it is.

:cheers

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
So just out of curiosity, now that we're seeing where Gload actually can be useful, given that it's sort of hard to expect Thome to play 150 games a season right now, do we really have a roster spot we could fill with another outfielder?

Why do we need Gload? Can't that be Konerko at first base, and then use someone like Mackowiak at DH?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
He has an off day tomorrow, and he hasn't exactly been sharp lately. At this point, the only way he's going to get better out of the pen is to work out of the pen.

Yeah, it's just a mess with him. I don't think he's a good fit for the bullpen at all, but that's not my decision to make. I know he's said that his arm has been sore when he's pitched a few games in a row.

Guest JimH
Those guys don't grow on trees. How many teams have a 4th OF who can play all 3 positions out there at a high level?

There are a few out there, they may be targeting a guy who's stuck at AAA, if in fact they recognize it as a problem.

Interesting to me Hawk and DJ talking about Scott Hairston, D-Backs system.

Anyway, yes, I agree they aren't plentiful but there are guys out there. Easier to get that vs. a really solid bullpen arm at this point in the season.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
Surprised they didn't give the kid a shot at the CG. Threw only 94 pitches....about a total of 15 in the last 3 innings combined.

I don't know who sucks more right now. Us or the Tigers?

Cordero's struggled this year, I'm sure they'd like to get him some more work to just get him back into a groove.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
Kudos to the Ranger's who seem to have a rookie pitcher that knows how to pitch and get people out unlike our team

Kudos to the Rangers who can develop guys that can come up and contribute immediately in the majors. Kinsler is a much better hitting prospect than anyone I've seen come up on the Sox in a long time.

The sad thing is when you have Mark Buerhle vs some rookie left hander you expect a win. Mark and the team s*** the bed collectively.

I thought the idea of having 5 aces is that prolonged slumps like this were impossible because your slump was busted the next day.

However this year Freddy has lost his velocity and has reinvented himself as a control pitcher.

Garland pitched nicely yesterday, but up until that he had publically said he lost his confidence.

Mark started the year off nice, but has been getting laced lately.

Javier has good stuff but cant keep away from the big inning.

The count has been great up until his last start.

Our bullpen is horrid. And our offense doesnt adjust to not being able to pound people into submission.

They need to man up and ask themselves if they want to go into October this year. Or if they want to s*** the bed and go home.

This next series is huge.