Game Thread: 6/04

Guest JimH

They really miss Thome in this series, even when he makes outs he makes the pitcher work and he generally has good at bats.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
No fathom, the point was you said "all" of the righthanded White Sox hitters try to pull "everything".

The reality is, no, they don't.

Well, it was meant as a general statement about our approach against LHP.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
Hey fathom, say you'll leave if they score 4 runs this inning :P

I'll save it for next inning.

Guest JimH

Dj makes another great point, the issue right now is guys are definitely capable of doing better, but they're not. Sounds simple but it's true.

Witness that inning, bad at bats.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)
Dj makes another great point, the issue right now is guys are definitely capable of doing better, but they're not. Sounds simple but it's true.

Last year, we played our worst when we were "tight"... it seems to me like the guys who are really struggling right now are the ones who are trying the hardest and are "tight"... they need to try to relax and just play ball. Easier said then done, I know. But, when this team relaxes and just goes out and does their thing, they are much more dangerous.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)

That's what some of us have been trying to say in all these "person x sucks, we should trade for person y" threads. These guys just are not doing their jobs at all right now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 07:53 PM)
So, why can't we score after the 4th inning in games? This is meant as a serious question, not rhetorical.

I think it's because they are pressing. Ever since the 11-0 game, they just can't get it done late.

Guest JimH
Well, it was meant as a general statement about our approach against LHP.

No problem and I agree at some level. Personally I am a little tired of all the blanket generalizations, not pointing the finger at you, just an observation.

Certain players are not providing good at bats right now. Konerko is a little out of sorts. They miss Thome. Uribe is a mess. Anderson just isn't very good at this point. Iguchi is doing ok but he can rise to another level and give better at bats. Dye has generally had good at bats most of the year. Pierzynski has refined his approach to go more the other way.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
Last year, we played our worst when we were "tight"... it seems to me like the guys who are really struggling right now are the ones who are trying the hardest and are "tight"... they need to try to relax and just play ball. Easier said then done, I know. But, when this team relaxes and just goes out and does their thing, they are much more dangerous.

You know, I'm not sure how much I agree with that. I know what you're talking about...how they played in August/early September when Cleveland was pushing them. But there sure seemed to be plenty of pressure on the team in that last week when they won 8 in a row, or in the playoffs, or in some of those contests early in the season when we first started playing the Twins, and so on. I don't know if playing "Tight" is the problem.

Personally, I think it's when they stop focusing that becomes a problem. Like in August last year, when they started complaining about attendance again, or Mark started seeing lights, or Iguchi started complaining about having to sit down so often, and so on. It just seems to me like their heads just weren't in the game then, and they don't look like it now.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 07:54 PM)
No problem and I agree at some level. Personally I am a little tired of all the blanket generalizations, not pointing the finger at you, just an observation.

Certain players are not providing good at bats right now. Konerko is a little out of sorts. They miss Thome. Uribe is a mess. Anderson just isn't very good at this point. Iguchi is doing ok but he can rise to another level and give better at bats. Dye has generally had good at bats most of the year. Pierzynski has refined his approach to go more the other way.

Yep....this team is just a mess right now, and quite frankly, isn't a playoff team with its current roster constructed this way. I think that the organization needs to make a decision...either keep Anderson in CF and let him play 5 times a week, or make a total overhaul of the CF position. Anderson't not going to get it going at the plate playing once every 3 days. I'm actually thrilled the Tigers are coming to town this week...if that doesn't get the players pumped up, I don't know what will.