Game Thread: 6/04

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)
DJ is ripping on him. Today's game is the type of game that will get Mackowiak more playing time. He might not be good on defense, but the organization feels he plays the game the right way.

And games like today is why BA shouldn't be on a major league roster, at least not right now.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)
How do teams like Toronto and Texas ever lose? Both teams seem like their hitters know every pitch that is coming.

/grabs my laser pointer for the Rangers Series next week

:lol:

You know what the Sox remind me of right now? The 1999 Cubs. That team was just off winning their division in 98, got started pretty well out of the gate, were 32-23 on June 8th. Then they came in for a 3 game set with the White Sox, were swept, and absolutely fell apart. Went 1-10 for a stretch, gave up, and wound up the season 67-95.

Guest JimH
You don't think it's physical with Politte? His fastball has lost about 3 mph this season.

He has always been a red ass guy. He gets down on himself really easily, he has always had confidence issues. He is high maintenance and felt really really comfortable last year.

This year he has not and it shows. No I do not think it's physical, unless mechanics are defined as physical.

He is not finishing his pitches properly, missing location big time. He is aiming too much, which might indicate why there's some velo off his fastball.

He doesnt' trust his stuff enough. His pitches move, last year he threw it down the middle and it moved out to the corner. He's not locating and he is getting torched.

There is a reason why only his option was picked up, i.e. he didn't get a new extension. It was a no brainer to pick up his option for 2006 but note that he has not been extended, he is a FA after this year. The organization knows full well that he gets down on himself way too easily. They thought he was over the hump after contributing to a World Series team ... guess not.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 03:01 PM)
With Pujols hurt? They may be right.

They have to jump over St. Louis, Cincinnati, Houston, and Milwaukee along with Pittsburgh not being too far behind them. I'll still take the White Sox chances over the Cubs.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
You know what the Sox remind me of right now? The 1999 Cubs. That team was just off winning their division in 98, got started pretty well out of the gate, were 32-23 on June 8th. Then they came in for a 3 game set with the White Sox, were swept, and absolutely fell apart. Went 1-10 for a stretch, gave up, and wound up the season 67-95.

As scary as that is, you're right.

The Cleveland series last week might be the start of that.

There's a lot of games in the next two weeks that are pretty important. They need to find their edge, and in a hurry, or Detroit will run away with this division.

A message needs to be made.....Anderson seems like he doesn't even give a s***....he's not thinking.

I am a Anderson supporter, but the mental mistakes he made are horrendous.

Let's ship his ass to AAA.....call up Torcato? Then do something with Politte...

Kenny Williams has got to be furious right now..

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 08:06 PM)
There is a reason why only his option was picked up, i.e. he didn't get a new extension. It was a no brainer to pick up his option for 2006 but note that he has not been extended, he is a FA after this year. The organization knows full well that he gets down on himself way too easily. They thought he was over the hump after contributing to a World Series team ... guess not.

I agree about the aiming part. That's why when he's actually tried to go inside this year, he's hit the hitters. I'll say this about Cliff....I'll always appreciate his contributions for 2005.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 08:06 PM)
There's a lot of games in the next two weeks that are pretty important. They need to find their edge, and in a hurry, or Detroit will run away with this division.

No one is running away from the Indians.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
As scary as that is, you're right.

The Cleveland series last week might be the start of that.

The way the Tigers are doing right now, we may as well start worrying about Cleveland and Minnesota running away with this division. The Tigers starting pitchers haven't been able to go 7 lately, and all of a sudden they're having to use their middle relief, which is just about as bad as ours. If they can go 8-9 with guys like Rodney and Jones they're all right, but for example, Grilli just walked 3 and hit a batter.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
How's Sweeney doing down in the minors?

He's batting above .300, but with limited power. He had been playing some CF, but after his injury, he has been back at RF. He probably could be a .270+ hitter in the majors right now, but would not have the power or a real position to play since Pods can't play CF.

Amen on Anderson.

inexcusable fundamentals on not backing up ozuna -- we're talking about Pable freaking ozuna, Brian! -- on the left field muff.

two s***ty throws home, one late the other 10 miles over the cutoff man.

If he can't play the outfield, he should go to Winston Salem or Kannapolis.

Somebody needs to disappear from the clubhouse to send a message.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
The way the Tigers are doing right now, we may as well start worrying about Cleveland and Minnesota running away with this division. The Tigers starting pitchers haven't been able to go 7 lately, and all of a sudden they're having to use their middle relief, which is just about as bad as ours. If they can go 8-9 with guys like Rodney and Jones they're all right, but for example, Grilli just walked 3 and hit a batter.

OK so you think the Cubs might have a better shot at winning the division than the Sox, but you're not that high on the Tigers either. The Twins won't win the division, however the if the Indians can get on fire, they'll be scary.