Game Thread: 6/04

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of blaming Anderson for not backing up, lets start with the problem that caused it. Ozuna has got to stop playing in LF. Even when he catches it, it's a f***ing circus. This isn't Spring Training anymore, and his defense has really hurt us this year. I have a lot bigger concerns than Anderson's mental mistakes in the outfield.

Guest JimH
Anyone know anything about Jeff Farnsworth in Charlotte? 20 K's compared to 3 BB's.

I'm honestly ready to try anything to replace Cliff..

The White Sox are looking at him closely.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
You know what the Sox remind me of right now? The 1999 Cubs. That team was just off winning their division in 98, got started pretty well out of the gate, were 32-23 on June 8th. Then they came in for a 3 game set with the White Sox, were swept, and absolutely fell apart. Went 1-10 for a stretch, gave up, and wound up the season 67-95.

Except that the Cubs didn't win the division in 1998.

Let's not grasp at straws here. We're having a rough stretch: all good teams do.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
Instead of blaming Anderson for not backing up, lets start with the problem that caused it. Ozuna has got to stop playing in LF. Even when he catches it, it's a f***ing circus. This isn't Spring Training anymore, and his defense has really hurt us this year. I have a lot bigger concerns than Anderson's mental mistakes in the outfield.

Well something has to be done to shake this s*** up...this is starting to remind me of the end of the 2005 season where we almost blew a 15 game lead...

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)

Let's not grasp at straws here. We're having a rough stretch: all good teams do.

Listen to KW when he says 2005 is over.

That noise is me turning on WGN and rooting for the Cardinals.

Guest JimH

Anderson not backing up is an issue unto itself. It is not related to Ozuna at all.

Brian made a mistake, he has made a few today.

Ozuna is an entirely different story. He is an ingiter at the plate, a perfect 25th man, but they still need an OF who can handle all three positions defensively ... it is something they've needed all season.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)

Oh, were they wild card that year? blah, they made the playoffs, that was the big "Harry Carray's ghost helping the cubs out" year, the Kerry Wood 20 strikeout year, the year Sosa started the juice, etc.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
but they still need an OF who can handle all three positions defensively ... it is something they've needed all season.

Those guys don't grow on trees. How many teams have a 4th OF who can play all 3 positions out there at a high level?

Edited by BigSqwert

They better get their heads out of their asses.

The Tigers are playing the Bosox and Yanks now. We play them in a brutal August without too much rest, and our september looks like s***. They end the season playing a bunch against the Royals. You cant win a division early on, but you can sure f*** yourselves out of one. We are not a strong second half team, we havent been in a while. We usually jump out to a lead in the division, then have problems in August, and then either survive or die in September.

I will be curious to see Buerhles next start with AJ behind the dish.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
Anderson not backing up is an issue unto itself. It is not related to Ozuna at all.

Brian made a mistake, he has made a few today.

Ozuna is an entirely different story. He is an ingiter at the plate, a perfect 25th man, but they still need an OF who can handle all three positions defensively ... it is something they've needed all season.

Yeah, I don't think we have enough time to count how many times we've said that we need another outfielder on the bench. There was a perfect opportunity to try and spark the bottom of the order, and have Ozuna DH and bat 9th today. He'd be the perfect table-setter for the top of the order.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)
If we want BMac to get acclimated to the pen, he should be in right here.

I think it's good to give him rest, as he's going to be our primarty righty set-up man vs the Tigers. The Tigers don't have many lefties, so McCarthy's going to be needed in the series.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
Yeah, I don't think we have enough time to count how many times we've said that we need another outfielder on the bench. There was a perfect opportunity to try and spark the bottom of the order, and have Ozuna DH and bat 9th today. He'd be the perfect table-setter for the top of the order.

So just out of curiosity, now that we're seeing where Gload actually can be useful, given that it's sort of hard to expect Thome to play 150 games a season right now, do we really have a roster spot we could fill with another outfielder?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
I think it's good to give him rest, as he's going to be our primarty righty set-up man vs the Tigers. The Tigers don't have many lefties, so McCarthy's going to be needed in the series.

He has an off day tomorrow, and he hasn't exactly been sharp lately. At this point, the only way he's going to get better out of the pen is to work out of the pen.