state sponsored rasism and segregation?

EvilMonkey

Imagine if this happened at an all-white school.

http://www.kabc.com/listingsEntry.asp?ID=437469&PT=

An snippit:

In various interviews and actions the school's founder, principal and council trustee secretary, Marcos Aguilar, has shown contempt for racial integration. Like everyone else connected to the school, Aguilar has refused repeated attempts by McIntyre in the Morning for an interview, telling our reporter he only speaks with spanish speaking media and warning the reporter, "I would be very careful before I came down here."

So the Republicans are in favor of charter schools, as long as they do the exact same thing public schools do except cheaper. Guess maybe people should have thought of things like bad management before they came up with the whole idea, eh?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
So the Republicans are in favor of charter schools, as long as they do the exact same thing public schools do except cheaper. Guess maybe people should have thought of things like bad management before they came up with the whole idea, eh?

there are plenty of public schools with bad management.

It is a charter school. Technically, they are minorly different from the regular everyday public school. Charter schools get freed from some of the traditional rules, regulations and statutes that apply to other public schools, in exchange for some type of accountability for producing certain results, which are set forth in each charter school's charter.

So, one would need to look at their charter to see what sort of details are in there first. Perhaps the details of the charter would go into what sort of students would be attending etc.

I'm not defending what they're doing, just throwing out the educational detailed technicalities for debate purposes. That said, I f***ing hate charter schools because too often bulls*** like this, demanding that teachers stay on the job for an insane amount of hours (i.e. 6 am - 7 or 8 pm every school day, even if the teacher does not coach etc.) and they're able to get around a lot of the standards and labor laws.

Here's an LATimes update on that little school. There's an investigation started into KABC's allegations, but honestly, it may not be able to go anywhere...according to the charter, that school is basically allowed to run itself as its own school district, so unless the KABC person can actually prove assault charges (which you'll note, they have not filed), there may be nothing anyone can do, since by definition, charter schools are outside the government and therefore the government only has limited oversight ability. However, the school's charter is up for review next year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
Here's an LATimes update on that little school. There's an investigation started into KABC's allegations, but honestly, it may not be able to go anywhere...according to the charter, that school is basically allowed to run itself as its own school district, so unless the KABC person can actually prove assault charges (which you'll note, they have not filed), there may be nothing anyone can do, since by definition, charter schools are outside the government and therefore the government only has limited oversight ability. However, the school's charter is up for review next year.

Point of clarification - FULLY PRIVATE charter schools are outside the government. But, if charter schools pick up contracts as public schools (which happens from time to time), that changes the picture.