MAKE A DEAL

Jimbo's Drinker

Just like last year, Marte's WHIP is through the roof, but his ERA isn't too bad. In the second half it caught up to him, and with the way Ozzie handles this bullpen, I imagine the same thing would happen if he came back here.

Get rid of Politte either by DFA, or some kind of DL stint. Give Lopez a shot and wait to see what comes available at the deadline.

The Yanks are going to need some BP help, Oakland needs help, and the National League is filled with .500 teams making few sellers.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
Just like last year, Marte's WHIP is through the roof, but his ERA isn't too bad. In the second half it caught up to him, and with the way Ozzie handles this bullpen, I imagine the same thing would happen if he came back here.

Get rid of Politte either by DFA, or some kind of DL stint. Give Lopez a shot and wait to see what comes available at the deadline.

The Yanks are going to need some BP help, Oakland needs help, and the National League is filled with .500 teams making few sellers.

The remarkable thing about the wild card is this; .500 teams and even .450 teams are still considering being buyers at the trade deadline as they still can in some cases be 1 player away from a playoff run (Think the Astros). Literally, the only teams that are going to be sellers at the deadline in the next few years are going to be teams that are really out of it, Kansas City/Pittsburgh out of it at the deadline. And the prices are going to be through the roof. Think about the NL west right now....all their teams are winning...all of them will be looking to add, and not subtract. The Cubs will be out of it, but they still won't subtract. And so on.

Interestingly...a few weeks ago, the Yankees had by far the best bullpen in baseball. Now they're falling back towards the middle of the pack. Hmm...maybe bullpen performance can be a bit streaky.

Also another interesting note...our bullpen coming into today had pitched 129.1 innings. That's the fewest innings pitched by any bullpen in the big leagues...by 15 innings. That's 20 innings fewer than any team in the AL. You know what? If we can get our starting pitching to be just a little bit more consistent, i bet our bullpen concerns will dry up pretty quick. But yeah...something needs to be done with Clifford.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)
Carl Everett and Robbie Alomar should be available any day.

Might be a tad difficult to find Alomar, but bring back Sandy Jr and Robbie is sure to follow. Carl Everett and possibly The Big Hurt might still be available and they can play CF for us. Those four still don't take care of the pitching so Marte could be a possibility. I have heard rumors they all might be coming to the Sox. :lol:

My gut feel: We end up with Pods in center after July (not the best option but Mack isn't any better there) and we add a solid bat in Reggie Sanders. Sanders would help improve our offense and he's a good left-fielder. Overall our defense would drop a smidge but not to the point that it would be worth having or centerfielder hit under 200 (although I think he's so much better than he's shown). Getting Sanders would allow us to use Mack off the bench where he is MUCH more valuable. However, I think that Kenny won't be addressing CF for quite a period of time. We've gotta see if Anderson is going to solve this issue and he might. He better start backing up other outfielders today because that was embarrassing. It's nto like it was an easy play for Pablo. If it were routine I would have understood but it was a damn difficult catch.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 02:18 AM)
My gut feel: We end up with Pods in center after July (not the best option but Mack isn't any better there) and we add a solid bat in Reggie Sanders. Sanders would help improve our offense and he's a good left-fielder. Overall our defense would drop a smidge but not to the point that it would be worth having or centerfielder hit under 200 (although I think he's so much better than he's shown). Getting Sanders would allow us to use Mack off the bench where he is MUCH more valuable. However, I think that Kenny won't be addressing CF for quite a period of time. We've gotta see if Anderson is going to solve this issue and he might. He better start backing up other outfielders today because that was embarrassing. It's nto like it was an easy play for Pablo. If it were routine I would have understood but it was a damn difficult catch.

yeah, and then satian will crawl out of my ass and say: "green tinkely tuesdays were my idea all along!"

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
Perhaps he can 'pull an Everett' and grab Marte or Vizcaino again? They seemed to have gotten things back on track.

I think we will be keeping Vis he is our 7th inning guy and been very dependable.

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
After Howry ripped the Sox,no way. I would bring back Marte before that jag!

Yeah, I agree.

I'm willing to wait a little longer to see what's going on, but I'd give McCarthy Politte's old spot, and see if he can do better with more consistent work like that,