We were supposed to have sympathy for these people.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/news/intelligencer/17161/?imw=Y

After being flown here for free back in September, Johnson’s been at the Holiday Inn since Super Bowl Sunday. On April 21, the hotel served Johnson with three notices of occupancy termination, saying that it would begin court proceedings if he wasn’t out by May 9. He wasn’t, so it did. If the court boots him, Johnson could end up in one of the city’s homeless shelters. He’s been broke for over a month now. fema sent him $9,000 in housing aid, but he spent it all on booze, cigarettes, some clothes, and food—partying, mostly. “I spent my money just the way I wanted, and I think [fema] should send me some more,” he says. But it won’t. Johnson’s caseworker says fema offered to buy him a ticket home to New Orleans in February, but he didn’t take it. fema won’t now. So he’s stuck, at least until the Holiday Inn pays him to leave.

What is this guy? He's a f***ing leech is what he is and he's ohhhh so typical of the vermin who took advantage of the government during the post-Katrina period. People like this should be tossed in the slam for a long ass time and forced to make restitution to the government for perpetrating this fraud. You want to know why I don't have any sympathy for Katrina evacuees? This is exhibit A.

You people called me racist for pointing out the differences between how the whites and blacks reacted to this crisis but they simply cannot be ignored. The white residents of N.O. have largely returned. They are setting up civic organizations, rebuilding ruined homes and getting back on their collective feet. The black residents, who have returned in much smaller numbers in percentage terms, are too busy squabbling with the city over whether to demolish homes that sit covered with crud in the middle of the street to be concerned with rebuilding. Those that haven't returned are like my buddy here living in NY. They are living in far flung cities, leeching off FEMA money and in the case of Houston, driving the crime rate into the stratosphere.

There are quite a few people that are trying to live off the gravy train.

My very next door neighbors are from N.O. and Katrina evacs... but they are very cool people, taking jobs and helping themselves back on their feet. They have two very little kids (the one was a brand new newborn when they had to leave and the other was a year and a half).

I really admire them, because they're just slowly chipping away at things, getting back on track. Very nice people.

Then you have assholes like this, which are way too many...

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:25 PM)
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/news/intelligencer/17161/?imw=Y

What is this guy? He's a f***ing leech is what he is and he's ohhhh so typical of the vermin who took advantage of the government during the post-Katrina period. People like this should be tossed in the slam for a long ass time and forced to make restitution to the government for perpetrating this fraud. You want to know why I don't have any sympathy for Katrina evacuees? This is exhibit A.

You people called me racist for pointing out the differences between how the whites and blacks reacted to this crisis but they simply cannot be ignored. The white residents of N.O. have largely returned. They are setting up civic organizations, rebuilding ruined homes and getting back on their collective feet. The black residents, who have returned in much smaller numbers in percentage terms, are too busy squabbling with the city over whether to demolish homes that sit covered with crud in the middle of the street to be concerned with rebuilding. Those that haven't returned are like my buddy here living in NY. They are living in far flung cities, leeching off FEMA money and in the case of Houston, driving the crime rate into the stratosphere.

Dude, you sourced one black person who happens to be a deadbeat, so what. If you can find a pattern, we'll talk.

Yea, Nuke did only quote one source, but, there are a lot of people who are in the "welfare role" here - looking to the government to take care of them instead of taking care of themselves. It's on the news here almost nightly.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:33 AM)
Yea, Nuke did only quote one source, but, there are a lot of people who are in the "welfare role" here - looking to the government to take care of them instead of taking care of themselves. It's on the news here almost nightly.

We have some up here as well. And they are black... and white.

I'm sure there are, and if he can come up with articles, statistics, or any other proof that it is just one race doing this, fine. Until then this gets filed with Iggy's 9-11 and the media watch as one sided, and missing vital evidence, as far as I am concerned.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 09:25 PM)
You people called me racist for pointing out the differences between how the whites and blacks reacted to this crisis but they simply cannot be ignored.

Yes I call you racist because you go out of your way to dig around looking for a story about a dead beat black person and project that person's behavior onto an entire race.

Where are these differences you claim to point out? You only focus on a handful of bad blacks.

Edited by BigSqwert

Saying that this person represents every black person or even FEMA evacuee (most black people or most FEMA evacuees) is like me saying a picture of Lyndie England represents every soldier in the US Army.

I'm pretty sure that's wrong, so I'm pretty sure you're wrong too.

Its on the news, on the net and in the papers. If you haven't noticed a pattern as time passes then you haven't been paying attention. This story is one of many and its certainly not the 1st time Ive brought this subject up in this forum.

If certain people in that region put half as much energy into rebuilding as they did complaining and looking for ways to get over on the system then NO would be completely back on its feet by now.

Hey, I can notice a pattern too.

I can also do the following, really f***ing obvious, analysis. Blacks are far more likely to have received public assistance, and depend on public assistance, than whites, because poverty in the black communities is much higher. So if the population receiving help is largely black, and everyone receiving help is equally likely to game the system, then a much higher proportion of crooks will be black, even though there's zero difference in criminality.

Hey, elementary reasoning is neato!

link

Nuke, does the fact that William Calley was a murdurous son of a b**** mean that all our troops are murderous sons of b****es? I would say no, but if your logic is to remain consistant you would say yes, right?

Edited by MSHAWKS

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
link

Nuke, does the fact that William Calley was a murdurous son of a b**** mean that all our troops are murderous sons of b****es? I would say no, but if your logic is to remain consistant you would say yes, right?

You were beaten to the punch making the point you made by about 7 posts but I'll answer for both of you.

If you think Im making a broad generalization about the entire black race you're wrong. I was pointing out, as the news media has done VERY frequently in the months after Katrina, that the black citizens of N.O. reacted to the crisis differently than the white citizens have.

You people can call me racist if you want to but all Im doing is stating facts here and they are gleaned from the mainstream media.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
You were beaten to the punch making the point you made by about 7 posts but I'll answer for both of you.

If you think Im making a broad generalization about the entire black race you're wrong. I was pointing out, as the news media has done VERY frequently in the months after Katrina, that the black citizens of N.O. reacted to the crisis differently than the white citizens have.

Is it possible that if there is a different reaction between the 2 groups, the reason is not the motivation of the people or something like that, but is instead the situation the people were in beforehand? I.e. groups that had less in terms of finances would be less able to deal with the disaster, and would wind up more likely to get stuck wherever they wound up (If you're making minimum wage where you were relocated, it's going to take you a long time to afford to move back to NOLA, especially if you didn't have flood insurance)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
Is it possible that if there is a different reaction between the 2 groups, the reason is not the motivation of the people or something like that, but is instead the situation the people were in beforehand? I.e. groups that had less in terms of finances would be less able to deal with the disaster, and would wind up more likely to get stuck wherever they wound up (If you're making minimum wage where you were relocated, it's going to take you a long time to afford to move back to NOLA, especially if you didn't have flood insurance)

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

Although we saw that the comment is in green, guests may not know what green is or means (sarcasm) - so its gotta be removed. Sorry.

Edited by Rex Kickass