Ab Workouts

WilliamTell

I just can't get rid of the fat around my stomach, I try and try and nothing seems to work. I'm not over weight or anything (6'2" 195 lbs) but I'd like to get rid of the extra weight around my stomach area. I've always had a belly so maybe that's just part of me, but I'm sick of it and want to try to do something about it. I bike a lot and I'm trying to eat healthier right now. I guess I'd like to know some of your ab workouts or suggestions for my quest at a leaner stomach. Thanks.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no expert, but I'm your size (6'2 190) and I have the same problem. I've been doing some research on it and I have come to the realization that stomach exercises aren't really the answer. Everyone has ab muscles, but you have to be thin enough for them to show through. Stomach exercises would make them more defined, but for it to even show up, you have to be thinner. Otherwise you are just making your muscles stronger in your stomach, but you will never see them. So I'm really trying to watch my calories, and run alot, and see what happens, along with some ab exercises at the gym in case I ever do see them :-)

I've also heard that alot of calcium can help you lose weight in the stomach area, and I eat alot of cereal, but now I also take two calcium pills a day as well.

Granted, I could be wrong, but this is what I'm going with for now.

Let me bold this for you guys..

DOING AB WORKOUTS WILL NOT GET RID OF THAT FAT

You need to do CARDIO

All you are doing with ab workouts are building the muscles UNDER the fat, so you could have ripped abs but no one will be able to see them unless you do cardio..

Cardio and a healthy diet is the KEY to getting rid of that fat, but dont burn yourself out doing TONS of abs expecting the fat to melt right off, its cardio

This is pretty basic but incase you didnt know, you have to burn more calories than you intake every day to lose weight.. and you arent gonna lose it all within days.. it takes weeks and months for you to get where you need to be..

BTW Im majoring in Kinesiology for Personel Training and what not so anything else youd like some advice for, feel free to ask

Edited by T R U

QUOTE(T R U @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
Let me bold this for you guys..

DOING AB WORKOUTS WILL NOT GET RID OF THAT FAT

You need to do CARDIO

All you are doing with ab workouts are building the muscles UNDER the fat, so you could have ripped abs but no one will be able to see them unless you do cardio..

Cardio and a healthy diet is the KEY to getting rid of that fat, but dont burn yourself out doing TONS of abs expecting the fat to melt right off, its cardio

This is pretty basic but incase you didnt know, you have to burn more calories than you intake every day to lose weight.. and you arent gonna lose it all within days.. it takes weeks and months for you to get where you need to be..

BTW Im majoring in Kinesiology for Personel Training and what not so anything else youd like some advice for, feel free to ask

I try to keep it separate, but sometimes I do both cardio and weight training on the same day. Will it have negative effects? Better since I'm going the extra mile? No effect at all?

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)
I just can't get rid of the fat around my stomach, I try and try and nothing seems to work. I'm not over weight or anything (6'2" 195 lbs) but I'd like to get rid of the extra weight around my stomach area. I've always had a belly so maybe that's just part of me, but I'm sick of it and want to try to do something about it. I bike a lot and I'm trying to eat healthier right now. I guess I'd like to know some of your ab workouts or suggestions for my quest at a leaner stomach. Thanks.

Without good genetics, getting decent abs is pretty tough. I'm 5'11'' 190lbs. and my waist is a 32, but I work at it almost obsessively. It doesn't come naturally. I follow a low fat, high protein, moderate carb diet, with almost no processed sugar. I eat 6 small to mid-sized meals a day. As far as my ab workout is concerned, I go to the gym (5 minutes from my house) every morning before work simply to do abs. It takes me 15 mintues and I do 6 exercises, 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps each exercise. I do 4 lower ab exercises (hanging leg raises, knee raises), 1 oblique exercise (torso twist machine), and 1 upper abs exercise (crunches). I'll then go back to the gym when I'm done working and coaching in order to do my actual weight-lifting routine, which usually takes about 45 minutes. I do absolutely no cardio, but I'm very disciplined in what I eat (I'll pick at bad foods, but I won't eat a lot of it) and I only drink 1 night a week.

Anyway, this is what I do and it works for me.

Edited by MSHAWKS

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:00 AM)
Without good genetics, getting decent abs is pretty tough. I'm 5'11'' 190lbs. and my waist is a 32, but I work at it almost obsessively. It doesn't come naturally. I follow a low fat, high protein, moderate carb diet, with almost no processed sugar. I eat 6 small to mid-sized meals a day. As far as my ab workout is concerned, I go to the gym (5 minutes from my house) every morning before work simply to do abs. It takes me 15 mintues and I do 6 exercises, 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps each exercise. I do 4 lower ab exercises (hanging leg raises, knee raises), 1 oblique exercise (torso twist machine), and 1 upper abs exercise (crunches). I'll then go back to the gym when I'm done working and coaching in order to do my actual weight-lifting routine, which usually takes about 45 minutes. I do absolutely no cardio, but I'm very disciplined in what I eat (I'll pick at bad foods, but I won't eat a lot of it) and I only drink 1 night a week.

I agree it's genetics somewhat. My mom and aunt are both overweight (combo of having kids, eating bad, and having a heart issues), yet my grandmother is a rail (had 4 kids, eats whatever she wants, and has health issues also). I am obsessed with my abs and legs. I do tons of crunches - sometimes stop and do 50 when I take something down to the basement - but on a regular schedule I do 100 at least 4 times a week, and I run at least 3 miles 4 times a week at night. I also limit my weight lifting focusing on arms and back 3 times a week - 4 different excercises - no more than 15lbs and 3 reps.

My b**** sister does absolutely NOTHING to keep in shape and has literally sero fat on her. She does chase after a 5 year old and a 5 month old though.

^^^

And there's the problem. I've always discounted cardio but I've learned my lesson.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
^^^

And there's the problem.

I did no cardio for a good 5 years and still had a 22" waist - yea.. it was back in the stone age when I was 25 :lol: . It wasn't till I hit 30 when I noticed the layer of blubber. I'm still just a 24" size 2, but I did have to alter the way I eat and increase the calorie burn.

Like I said above, my sister is blessed - though she is only 27.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)

There are several things that I do for this problem.

1. Cardio, you have to do at least 20-30 min a day 4 times a week. This is a must as cardio is the only way you will lose fat around that area. Otherwise you are building muscle under the fat which makes it look worse.

2. Core strength training. Not only do you need to work your abs, but your back and obliques as well. This will help with the fat around your love handles as well as the back fat that you dont even know is there. Plus core strength is a must to stay healthy.

3. Diet. NO CARBS AFTER 7. Thats right, eat an early dinner and if you must snack, no carbs at all. In fact a great portion of your dinners should include lean chicken and veggies, or fish and lean beef.

4 Full body weight traning. You cant just train certain parts of your body and expect targeted results. Training parts of your body on different times of the week keeps stimulating your metabolism and aids fat loss.

5. Water, water and more water. The more water you drink, the less you retain.

Its going to take at least a month of strict regulations on your diet and excercise to see results. It sucks, but it does work.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
There are several things that I do for this problem.

1. Cardio, you have to do at least 20-30 min a day 4 times a week. This is a must as cardio is the only way you will lose fat around that area. Otherwise you are building muscle under the fat which makes it look worse.

2. Core strength training. Not only do you need to work your abs, but your back and obliques as well. This will help with the fat around your love handles as well as the back fat that you dont even know is there. Plus core strength is a must to stay healthy.

3. Diet. NO CARBS AFTER 7. Thats right, eat an early dinner and if you must snack, no carbs at all. In fact a great portion of your dinners should include lean chicken and veggies, or fish and lean beef.

4 Full body weight traning. You cant just train certain parts of your body and expect targeted results. Training parts of your body on different times of the week keeps stimulating your metabolism and aids fat loss.

5. Water, water and more water. The more water you drink, the less you retain.

Its going to take at least a month of strict regulations on your diet and excercise to see results. It sucks, but it does work.

This is a good list from Rock.

The key to number 1 is the time, 20 to 30 minutes or more. Your body will tap the bloodstream for glucose for energy during the cardio workout, at a certain point your body realizes that the exercise isnt going to end, and then starts to mine long term reserves for Glucose production. Also well after your workout your body is still mining and burning off sugar in your system.

Number 2and 4 are good to keep your body balanced. The more your system is working to build, the more its tearing down the fat to make it. But your diet has to be in check with your workout.

Number 3 is a good one also. But during your day you should look at the types of carbs you put into your system. Carbs are not bad, but its the type of carbs you put into your system. A big fluffy croisant might contain 50-60 grams of carbs. Not a lot of dietary fiber or anything good for you. In the same instance an apple might have anywhere from 15-30 depending on the size of the apple. The apple breaks down in your system different than the fluffy croisant. You want to put complex carbs that take a while to break down and enter your bloodstream. Also mixing up what you eat, making sure that you get some protein in your system when you are processing carbs also helps to delay its introduction into your bloodstream.

Number 5 is a huge one also. Drink as much water as possible. try to cut down on caffein as much as you can. Water instead of soda or coffee helps out a bunch.

Also your diet helps this out. Instead of snaking on garbage like chips, and candy, hit the fruits during the day. An Apple, a bannana, or some mixed fruits help out a lot more. And also try to make sure that its fresh and not processed in a can. Also make sure you have a breakfast. It starts the day out on the right foot.

My wife is a nurse, and when she was trying to lose baby weight a cardiologist told her when she goes to a resturaunt to make an invisible line down the middle of everything they give you. Eat half of your meal, and take the rest home. Our portions here in the US are insane on what you think you should eat.

Edited by southsideirish71

Thanks SSI. To clarify, I eat carbs, I actually could never not eat carbs. But its the time of the day, and the kind of carbs you eat that you must look out for. Hes correct.

Oh, and protein, protein protein. I cannot stress that enough. Also make sure you eat 4-5 small meals a day if you would like to get really strict on your diet. I live on frozen chicken breasts, lean meat, and veggies. Fruit is my snack, and jerky in between. Protein shakes are apart of my diet as well.

Edited by RockRaines

You must have some muscle mass to you. I'm 5'11", 175lbs. and have a 32" waist, and I'm pushing it a bit there. Strange how this weight distribution thing goes.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)
You must have some muscle mass to you. I'm 5'11", 175lbs. and have a 32" waist, and I'm pushing it a bit there. Strange how this weight distribution thing goes.

I help kids out where I coach with powerlifting, so I try to practice what I preach.

Thanks for the info everyone. I bike like crazy because I love to bike, but I should probably mix in other things aswell. Luckilly I've never been a huge pop drinker so I mainly just drink milk and water which isn't bad at all.

Rock Raines said no carbs after 7. That's probably where I mess up the most. At night is when I eat the most probably.

Run, run, drink water, then run some more. Stay hydrated and stay active. You wouldn't believe 3 hour baseball practices can do for 8 months and 6 days a week.

Oh, and as far as protein...nothing, NOTHING, beats a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:14 AM)
I try to keep it separate, but sometimes I do both cardio and weight training on the same day. Will it have negative effects? Better since I'm going the extra mile? No effect at all?

theres no real reason to keep it separate.. its not going to have any negative effects except fatigue depending on which one you are doing first..

QUOTE(T R U @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
theres no real reason to keep it separate.. its not going to have any negative effects except fatigue depending on which one you are doing first..

Just remember that cardio is almost always more effective in the morning. I like to do cardio+some circuit or ab and core training on tues, thurs.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
Run, run, drink water, then run some more. Stay hydrated and stay active. You wouldn't believe 3 hour baseball practices can do for 8 months and 6 days a week.

Oh, and as far as protein...nothing, NOTHING, beats a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Peanut butter is great.. dunno if ide be eating PB&J's a lot though..

I usually eat just plain peanut butter sandwiches..

Aside from Cardio, a healthy diet will almost be MORE important than the cardio portion.. Chicken and fish is loaded with good protein, I wouldnt eat a ton of red meats..

Pretty much, all I eat is Tuna, Chicken, Turkey, Peanut Butter, and protein shakes.. I usually go through a case of water every 2 weeks, and for the most part thats all I drink except some occasions