Ab Workouts

WilliamTell

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got some nutrition buffs on this site. Thanks for the information guys. I'm just riding my youthful metabolism for as long as I can before I have to start working out regularly. I do play sports basically everyday, mostly ultimate frisbee and basketball, which are good cardio workouts.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Busted... you got me. Thank you so much R&W... :rolly

I just thank my lucky stars it's something I can get help for and not something non-treatable.. like say... a stupidity disorder.

What RockRaines was suggesting, is borderline terrible.

To maintain lean muscle mass, you must eat a pre-bed meal, something slow digesting. Perhaps some cottage cheese, if you don't mind eating some carbs, milk would be another good option, or if you have muscle milk on hand, thats an excellent option.

I was asking Rock if he was designing a diet for someone with an eating disorder, nothing against you, my pretty lady. :)

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What kind of advice are you giving here? No, Steff does not have an eating disoder, I was simply making her eat more regularly. Which not only helps your nutrition, but also your metabolism.

Ssecondly, the reps vs weight discussion is legit, someone who points to genetics is too f***in lazy to work out. High reps with low weight is for tone, low reps, high weight is for mass. If you would liket to gain mass I would try pyramid reps. Start with what you can do 10 reps of, then work your way up to a weight which you can only do 2. Prob around 5 or 6 sets. That should help you with your mass. Also add more protein shakes like muscle milk into your diet.

Where are you learning this nonsense?

Steff, eating three undersized meals spread over 24 hours all the while having a morning run on a stomach that hasn't been filled in 10+ hours is having her eat more 'regularly' and frequently? If she wants to lose all the lean muscle mass she has, then you're giving some heads-up advice; i just prefer the way Steff looks now to the Ethopian look you're advising her to become.

Secondly, the high weight/low reps for tone is not legit. When I get home from work, I'll post numerous studies and information on why genetics and diet make your muscles look the way they are, moreso than training.

As for Muscle Milk, I think its a great tool, pre-bed, although it is extremely high in fat. Do not drink Muscle Milk post workout, use a more fast digesting protein powder, the one that TRU suggested, ON Whey or some other type of Whey.

I misread then because it did not sound as if your response was to his advice.

Thank you for clarifying.

In his defense, I don't eat a meal after 7pmish currently (unless beer qualifies) and that works for me. He was only giving a suggestion based on my current schedule.

And no worries.. I'll never be Nichole Ritchie skinny thanks to my addiction to pasta and gravy.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 06:31 AM)
This is just an outrageous claim. Bench Press is a great lift to do because it works almost all muscles in the upper body.. Not to mention the MANY variations you can do like Incline, Decline, Close Grip, Wide Grip, Dumbbell, all working different muscles in the upper body

Thats like saying squats are pointless, how many times in my life and I going to throw something across my shoulders and lift them up and down?

I am going to have to disagree. You might be the genetic-genius but I'm sticking to my guns on this one. When bench pressing, it is mainly working one area of your sholders instead of the entire shoulder. This can be harmful to some because it can leave different area's of the shoulder underdeveloped. As a pitcher, this is a problem. Thats why our coach doesn't want pitchers benchpressing. It limits the movement in the shoulder. I've done quite a bit of research on this one.

I agree with RockRaines. Bench pressing is an ego excercise. "How much can you bench?"

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
I am going to have to disagree. You might be the genetic-genius but I'm sticking to my guns on this one. When bench pressing, it is mainly working one area of your sholders instead of the entire shoulder. This can be harmful to some because it can leave different area's of the shoulder underdeveloped. As a pitcher, this is a problem. Thats why our coach doesn't want pitchers benchpressing. It limits the movement in the shoulder. I've done quite a bit of research on this one.

I agree with RockRaines. Bench pressing is an ego excercise. "How much can you bench?"

The problem is, you're looking at this as only a pitcher. Benching is a good exercise because you target a ton of muscles. Now, I do agree that benching is an ego exercise and some people think that it is the only important lift which is entirely untrue but it still is a very important lift.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
The problem is, you're looking at this as only a pitcher. Benching is a good exercise because you target a ton of muscles. Now, I do agree that benching is an ego exercise and some people think that it is the only important lift which is entirely untrue but it still is a very important lift.

Yeah, it's probably a little biased because I'm a pitcher.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, it's probably a little biased because I'm a pitcher.

It's not necessarily bias, it's just plain wrong for someone who isn't a pitcher. It's a compound excercise, and a vital one at that. However, for a pitcher, performing the bench press without some other resistance training of the two other heads of the shoulder, its not useful.

I'm actually quite curious, SF1, what does your coach recommend for a pitcher, like yourself?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
It's not necessarily bias, it's just plain wrong for someone who isn't a pitcher. It's a compound excercise, and a vital one at that. However, for a pitcher, performing the bench press without some other resistance training of the two other heads of the shoulder, its not useful.

I'm actually quite curious, SF1, what does your coach recommend for a pitcher, like yourself?

Resistance bands mainly. Only excercises that expand motion and enhance strength in the rotator cuff.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)
What RockRaines was suggesting, is borderline terrible.

To maintain lean muscle mass, you must eat a pre-bed meal, something slow digesting. Perhaps some cottage cheese, if you don't mind eating some carbs, milk would be another good option, or if you have muscle milk on hand, thats an excellent option.

I was asking Rock if he was designing a diet for someone with an eating disorder, nothing against you, my pretty lady. :)

Where are you learning this nonsense?

Steff, eating three undersized meals spread over 24 hours all the while having a morning run on a stomach that hasn't been filled in 10+ hours is having her eat more 'regularly' and frequently? If she wants to lose all the lean muscle mass she has, then you're giving some heads-up advice; i just prefer the way Steff looks now to the Ethopian look you're advising her to become.

Secondly, the high weight/low reps for tone is not legit. When I get home from work, I'll post numerous studies and information on why genetics and diet make your muscles look the way they are, moreso than training.

As for Muscle Milk, I think its a great tool, pre-bed, although it is extremely high in fat. Do not drink Muscle Milk post workout, use a more fast digesting protein powder, the one that TRU suggested, ON Whey or some other type of Whey.

Seriously, what are you even talking about. The advice we have been giving was for someone to lose fat around the midsection and become more lean. Thanks for bascially recommending the protein that I said earlier, especially when I said use Isopure post workout which is good for lean mass. And the way you work out does impact the way you look. As high reps low weight do not neccessarily tear your muscle fiber which leads to bulking or rebuilding of muscle tissue. I use pyramid sets when I do weights anyway, and I prefer that method. Your post comes off as argumentative for no reason. There is no right or wrong in this issue, it really depends on how the person responds.

And saying that my advice was borderline terrible is atrocious. Your suggestion is to eat carbs right before bed huh? I would love to see if you have ever actually cut or lost weight in your life, not to mention lean muscle mass. Maybe you should read the thread before you give advice.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Resistance bands mainly. Only excercises that expand motion and enhance strength in the rotator cuff.

Interesting. I'm shocked that your coach wouldn't have you doing compound excercises such as squats, military press, bench press, deadlifts, hang cleans, etc.

You would throw harder if you had more strength in those areas, no?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously, what are you even talking about. The advice we have been giving was for someone to lose fat around the midsection and become more lean. Thanks for bascially recommending the protein that I said earlier, especially when I said use Isopure post workout which is good for lean mass. And the way you work out does impact the way you look. As high reps low weight do not neccessarily tear your muscle fiber which leads to bulking or rebuilding of muscle tissue. I use pyramid sets when I do weights anyway, and I prefer that method. Your post comes off as argumentative for no reason. There is no right or wrong in this issue, it really depends on how the person responds.

And saying that my advice was borderline terrible is atrocious. Your suggestion is to eat carbs right before bed huh? I would love to see if you have ever actually cut or lost weight in your life, not to mention lean muscle mass. Maybe you should read the thread before you give advice.

Steff isn't obese, she holds a little fat, as all women past there thirties tend to do. Telling someone not to eat for that long a period of time, and then to run on top of it? Yea, she'll lose fat, but she'll lose everything else she is. Same goes for you, if thats what you are doing.

No arguing here at all, I just hope people don't actually stop eating at six and then run the next morning having not eaten for 12+ hours. If you want to build muscle/lose fat, there are other means of doing so than starving yourself. Remember, your body goes into starvation mode after having not eating for three hours, multiply that by four, and in a month you'll be poor condition.

Also, I didnt recommend carbs before bed. I suggested cottage cheese, I choose to eat it with pineapple because I don't mind some carbs before bed. I was telling Steff, she should drink a glass of milk, or have a cup of cottage cheese before bed, not telling her to go to McDonalds and order french fries.

IsoPure is fine, if you have money to throw down a drain. TRU recommended Optimum Nutrition. It's a superior blend for a fraction of the cost.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)
Interesting. I'm shocked that your coach wouldn't have you doing compound excercises such as squats, military press, bench press, deadlifts, hang cleans, etc.

You would throw harder if you had more strength in those areas, no?

That is not true. More mass does not equal more velocity whatsoever. That is a HUGE myth. My freshman year, I would do bicep curls and think it was going to make me throw harder...it didn't. I was in the high 60's. I did long toss all summer with a workout program of high reps/low weight and was pitching mid-70's my sophomore. I slacked off over the summer and all I had was conditioning and weight training before the season of my junior year and my velocity only went up 3-5 mph. Now, I'm throwing around 80 consistently, topping out at 83.

Squats are definitely part of our repetoire as they work the core muscles and improve leg strength which allows us to push off the rubber harder and get some more velocity.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
That is not true. More mass does not equal more velocity whatsoever. That is a HUGE myth. My freshman year, I would do bicep curls and think it was going to make me throw harder...it didn't. I was in the high 60's. I did long toss all summer with a workout program of high reps/low weight and was pitching mid-70's my sophomore. I slacked off over the summer and all I had was conditioning and weight training before the season of my junior year and my velocity only went up 3-5 mph. Now, I'm throwing around 80 consistently, topping out at 83.

Squats are definitely part of our repetoire as they work the core muscles and improve leg strength which allows us to push off the rubber harder and get some more velocity.

I increased my velocity based on a throwing program over 2 years. In high school I could barely hit 80. I did a ton of long toss over a 2 year period and was able to throw in the mid to upper 80s in college. We barely touched weights and did a ton of running.

The only goofy things we did with weights was to increase the breaking pitches. We had one exercise where we used a coke can filled with sand and we would flip it curveball style. We also used a coffee can filled with sand, and it had string attached to a stick and we would wind up the coffee can with the stick.

We also did stuff with our leg kick, My leg kick was huge and we would spend a lot of time working on our drive to the plate making sure our back knee was dirty.

And to attest to your more body mass doesnt equal more velocity, I was one of the hardest throwers in our league, and I was 6'2 and about 150 back in college.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
I increased my velocity based on a throwing program over 2 years. In high school I could barely hit 80. I did a ton of long toss over a 2 year period and was able to throw in the mid to upper 80s in college. We barely touched weights and did a ton of running.

The only goofy things we did with weights was to increase the breaking pitches. We had one exercise where we used a coke can filled with sand and we would flip it curveball style. We also used a coffee can filled with sand, and it had string attached to a stick and we would wind up the coffee can with the stick.

We also did stuff with our leg kick, My leg kick was huge and we would spend a lot of time working on our drive to the plate making sure our back knee was dirty.

And to attest to your more body mass doesnt equal more velocity, I was one of the hardest throwers in our league, and I was 6'2 and about 150 back in college.

There you go. Long toss is the single best thing to do to improve velocity. One thing that hampers me on occasion is that I tend to be straight-legged on my motion towards the plate where I will keep my landing leg straight, thus making me leave the ball up a lot. My coach changed that by making me pitch and then grab a handful of grass after every pitch with my throwing hand. Works too.

Also, running doesn't really help with velocity, just endurance. The longer you run, the more you can pitch.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
There you go. Long toss is the single best thing to do to improve velocity. One thing that hampers me on occasion is that I tend to be straight-legged on my motion towards the plate where I will keep my landing leg straight, thus making me leave the ball up a lot. My coach changed that by making me pitch and then grab a handful of grass after every pitch with my throwing hand. Works too.

Also, running doesn't really help with velocity, just endurance. The longer you run, the more you can pitch.

My problem when I first started college was I used to stride to far, and that would make me leave the ball up and also lose a bit of my velocity. I still dont think that the ball has landed from the first batter I faced in college and threw a 3-1 belt high meatball too. My coach taught us to have your elbow hit the opposite knee. If your back knee is dirty, and your wrist is at your opposite knee then you have followed through completely. Once I started doing that I was in the strikezone, and with my stuff I was successful.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)
My problem when I first started college was I used to stride to far, and that would make me leave the ball up and also lose a bit of my velocity. I still dont think that the ball has landed from the first batter I faced in college and threw a 3-1 belt high meatball too. My coach taught us to have your elbow hit the opposite knee. If your back knee is dirty, and your wrist is at your opposite knee then you have followed through completely. Once I started doing that I was in the strikezone, and with my stuff I was successful.

Thats a better problem than what I had. After my foot injury early in the season, my mechanics were s***.

I had a straight-legged motion towards home, I wouldn't get my elbow up, then I'd open my front leg on the pitch, thus, I'd drag my arm through, shortarming it towards home, and I'd fall off the mound so much that I was practically facing 1st base. I also curled my wrist around the ball, making my curveball slide way outside to righties. Took me a long time to get it all back. I was a mess. Damn that coach for hitting me with a carbon fiber bat.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)

Dude, you can disagree all you want but bench press works a hell of a lot more than just your shoulders.. Its a great lift for chest and arms, you arent looking at the whole thing here. It seems like youre just focusing on the shoulder part

QUOTE(T R U @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)
Dude, you can disagree all you want but bench press works a hell of a lot more than just your shoulders.. Its a great lift for chest and arms, you arent looking at the whole thing here. It seems like youre just focusing on the shoulder part

Best thing is, I never discounted bench pressing. I love it, in fact dumbell bench press is one of my favs. Not sure where he got that fact. Maybe RNW's hate of me moved over into other peoples opinion.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)
Steff isn't obese, she holds a little fat, as all women past there thirties tend to do. Telling someone not to eat for that long a period of time, and then to run on top of it? Yea, she'll lose fat, but she'll lose everything else she is. Same goes for you, if thats what you are doing.

No arguing here at all, I just hope people don't actually stop eating at six and then run the next morning having not eaten for 12+ hours. If you want to build muscle/lose fat, there are other means of doing so than starving yourself. Remember, your body goes into starvation mode after having not eating for three hours, multiply that by four, and in a month you'll be poor condition.

Also, I didnt recommend carbs before bed. I suggested cottage cheese, I choose to eat it with pineapple because I don't mind some carbs before bed. I was telling Steff, she should drink a glass of milk, or have a cup of cottage cheese before bed, not telling her to go to McDonalds and order french fries.

Woah... I do...? I'm 5'6" 117 lbs as of 10 minutes ago and last time I tested at the Dr's office had 17% body fat and iirc a BMI in the neighborhood of 18%. I was just wondering about running in the morning being more effective. :huh

And, again, I currently, most of the time, stop eating at 6 and that's been working for me for several years.

Today was day #1 of getting my "fat" self out of bed and running in the morning. :lol: I'm sure it was mental, but I did run faster longer.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 05:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woah... I do...? I'm 5'6" 117 lbs as of 10 minutes ago and last time I tested at the Dr's office had 17% body fat and iirc a BMI in the neighborhood of 18%. I was just wondering about running in the morning being more effective. :huh

And, again, I currently, most of the time, stop eating at 6 and that's been working for me for several years.

Today was day #1 of getting my "fat" self out of bed and running in the morning. :lol: I'm sure it was mental, but I did run faster longer.

Well then, pretty lady, my apologies.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
Well then, pretty lady, my apologies.

None necessary. I just wanted to make sure that those that do know me and what I look like don't think I am obsessed with being thinner.

A lot of you seem to be experts and/or know a whole lot more about exercising than I do. So I'm just wondering, what are some good cardiovascular exercises? Biking, running, and jump roping come to mind for me. Any others that would help burn off some of the fat?

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 02:31 AM)
A lot of you seem to be experts and/or know a whole lot more about exercising than I do. So I'm just wondering, what are some good cardiovascular exercises? Biking, running, and jump roping come to mind for me. Any others that would help burn off some of the fat?

Any form of martial arts.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned is your target heart rate for cardio, there are two zones, one to increase cardio fitness and one to burn fat.

Example - 30 YR (w/ resting HR of 65)

220 - 30 (age) = 190

190 - 65 (resting heart rate) = 125

125 * 65% (low end of heart rate) OR 85% (high end) = 81.25 OR 106.25

81.25 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 146.25

106.25 + 65 (rhr) = 171.25

The target heart rate zone for this person would be 146 to 171

Now for fat burning, you want to be somewhere below 146, like between 116-146.

I had been doing cardio for years and never could get that last roll off my stomach, and once I slowed down and kept my HR lower, the fat started to come off. The only drawback is that you have to go longer to get the same amount of calorie loss, but the extra time is well worth it.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ever heard of interval training? I highly recommend it.

http://www.buildleanmuscle.com/interval-training.html