Official Day 1 Draft Thread

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
We are talking about Cubs and injuries. Think about that for a second. They go hand in hand. I'm not saying the Coop and Herm would make everyone great and make sure they never miss a game in their careers, but they would do alot better with their guys than they're doing currently.

Okay, well, power pitchers tend to be 100% effort, every pitch guys. You'd think that a guy who's hitting 98, 99, 97 on every pitch using all of his might is more likely to get hurt than a guy who's sitting at 92-93, and hitting 94 when need be.

I don't think you have much room to complain, but whatever... It happens every year.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
Sounds kinda Barry Zito-ish?

I can't make that comparison. Too many people compare guys with a great hook to Zito and as of now he's obviously got a long way to go to be there. Not many guys can use a High FB with the effectivness of Zito (despite a lack of velocity).

We'll se if he can do it, but he has really good command for a prep player.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
Okay, well, power pitchers tend to be 100% effort, every pitch guys. You'd think that a guy who's hitting 98, 99, 97 on every pitch using all of his might is more likely to get hurt than a guy who's sitting at 92-93, and hitting 94 when need be.

I don't think you have much room to complain, but whatever... It happens every year.

Technically speaking, regardless you are throwing 100% usually, some guys do it easier than others. Its called "easy heat" by a lot of scouts, but often times scouts exagerate.

Jason, that's what I was trying to get across. Justin Verlander types aren't falling from the sky (ie, guys who are hitting 96 with the flick of a wrist) -- those types are usually gone in the Top 15.

BTW, Jason, Hughes is off the board to Pittsburg in the fourth round.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
We better stop winning if we want the best arms in the draft. I'm kosher with selecting 29th.

I really like our pick that late in the first round. I don't care if a pitcher is a power guy or finesse. I want a guy that knows how to get hitters out.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
I haven't read the thread, but is Samardzija gone yet? What about the Sox taking a chance on him in the later rounds?

People seem to think the Cubs have an agreement with him in the 5th round. I think it's foolish, as he's nowhere near as good as his hype in baseball. Also, he's going to end up being a football guy in the long run.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:28 PM)
I haven't read the thread, but is Samardzija gone yet? What about the Sox taking a chance on him in the later rounds?

No and my guess is he will slide to the Cubs. Apparently Hendry has a good rep with ND's head coach and the Cubs will have money to spend. They could take him in the 5th and throw supplemental round money at Jeff.

Otherwise I'd think Jeff would fall and a team will finally take a flier on him but Jeff will probably not get the money it would take for him to play baseball (remember, he's probably a 1st rd pick in the NFL at WR).

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)

He's a big Sox fan but he won't sign. If we do select him, it'd be an easy interview considering he lives five minutes away and I've had several classes with him.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)

Its possible the Sox have interest, but he will likely stay for his Senior season to play football.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
I really like our pick that late in the first round. I don't care if a pitcher is a power guy or finesse. I want a guy that knows how to get hitters out.

True dat.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)

People seem to think the Cubs have an agreement with him in the 5th round. I think it's foolish, as he's nowhere near as good as his hype in baseball. Also, he's going to end up being a football guy in the long run.

I disagree, Smardtza has really came on, outstanding athlete with good stuff, but he's more of a project than the typical collegiate QB taken early on.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
We better stop winning if we want the best arms in the draft. I'm kosher with selecting 29th.

Yeah, f***in' World Series title, prevented us from getting guys like Lincoln and Miller and Hochevar.

I'd really like to see the Sox grab Walden here and offer him a pretty fair amount of cash, just like they did with Danks last year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
I disagree, Smardtza has really came on, outstanding athlete with good stuff, but he's more of a project than the typical collegiate QB taken early on.

Like you said...he's a project, but will he really have the time to develop as a pitcher. He's a sure-fire top 15 pick in next year's NFL draft. The Cubs are going to give a lot of money to a project who I would be shocked if he ever contributed in the majors.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)

Let's think about how Kenny uses his minor leaguers too. He sees prospects, as just that. Not major leaguers, but guys who can be used to get real major leaguers.

Draft and develop polished college arms, who may not be spectacular, but should always have trade value.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
Like you said...he's a project, but will he really have the time to develop as a pitcher. He's a sure-fire top 15 pick in next year's NFL draft. The Cubs are going to give a lot of money to a project who I would be shocked if he ever contributed in the majors.

In the 5th round with no other picks why not take a chance. He's more talented than any other 5th rounder. However, your gonna have to throw out a lot of money to stop him from playing his senior season at ND. The Cubs (w Hendry's connection) are about the only team with a shot at doing so.

I want Jeff to play FB, he's better at that, plus I love ND and we need him.

Edwards had an 81/9 strikeout to walk ratio