Official Day 1 Draft Thread

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AT WHARTON COUNTY COLLEGE

Played two seasons under head coach Bob Nottebart and assistant Chris Hill...one of the top junior college hitters in the state his final season at Wharton County...IN 2005...hit .487 along with 12 home runs, 18 doubles and 42 RBI...tallied 80 hits in 164 at-bats...was an All-Conference and All-Region selection...Second-Team WJCAA All-American...won the Rawlings "Big Stick" Award (highest batting average in South Region) in 2005...drafted by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the 33rd round of the 2005 MLB Draft...IN 2004...helped lead his team to a 37-14 record and was a teammate with former Red Raider Billy Carnline who played for Tech in 2005...hit .371 with 12 home runs, 15 doubles and 49 RBI...All-Conference honoree.

HIGH SCHOOL

A 2002 graduate of Little Cypress-Mauriceville High School in Orange, Texas...coached by Steve Griffith and Wayne Stephenson...helped lead his team to a regional final berth in 2000 and a regional quarterfinal spot in 2001...was a First-Team All-District selection three-straight seasons...also ran cross country.

PERSONAL

Born on January 15, 1984 in Orange, Texas to parents James and Christy Reves...his father James is a mechanic and a graduate of Lamar University...his mother Christy is a teacher and also a graduate of Lamar...has one older brother, Clint (23)...enjoys playing baseball and listening to music...majoring in human development and family studies.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Cards take Degerman out of Rice right behind us. Really good pick by the Cards.

Yeah, he's got nasty stuff without huge velocity.

Reves hit .300 with 13 HR (good power) this year at Tech. He was a JC transfer so those numbers are actually good considering it was his first year of D1 ball.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
Reves is a very good pick. He also threw out 65% of potential base stealers, on top of his power. It's just that nobody pays much attention to baseball here, unfortunately.

65% is damn good, but I wonder if the Sox could have got him much later in the draft.

A guy who would've sounded nice in the White Sox system:

Adam Ottavino, rhp

School: Northeastern. Class: Jr.

Hometown: Brooklyn, N.Y.

B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-5. Wt.: 215. Birthdate: 11/22/85.

Scouting Report: Ottavino was the America East Conference pitcher of the year in 2005 and followed that up with a 2-2, 1.76 summer in the Cape Cod League, but he really burst onto the 2006 draft landscape when he held then-No. 1 Georgia Tech hitless through six innings in his first start of 2006. He struck out 12 Yellow Jackets over seven innings, despite losing 2-1. His best start of the year came a month later, when he threw a no-hitter while striking out 14 against another of the nation's highest-scoring teams, James Madison. Ottavino's best pitch is a 92-94 mph fastball that touches 95, and he complements it with a power slider that could become a plus offering. He also throws a slurvy breaking ball that projects as an average pitch if he can clean it up, and a changeup that is just a show pitch. Ottavino has a loose, easy delivery and could add velocity as he continues to fill out his lanky frame. Mechanically, Ottavino has a little tilt in the back of his delivery that causes him to get under the ball sometimes, but his arm is strong enough to compensate. His current stuff, his projection and his calm mound demeanor make for an attractive package.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
A guy who would've sounded nice in the White Sox system:

Adam (St. Louis): Can you elaborate more on the Ottavino pick, I haven't heard much about him and want to know what he brings to the plate.

Keith Law: (3:45 PM ET ) He has a good arm, fastball in the low 90s and up to 94, flashes a good slider. But he doesn't repeat his delivery and it puts a lot of strain on his arm; I think he needs a revamp, rather than just a cleanup, and that puts a lot of risk into the pick.

FutureSox

• Tyler Reves, C - Reves was taken by the Sox in the 4th round of Texas Tech. Considered a reach, Reves hit .300 with 13 HR's, 51 RBI, 21 BB, and 39 K's in his first season with the Red Raiders (Junior). Prior to playing with Texas Tech, Reves was one of the top hitters at Wharton Community College and won the rawlings big stick award in 05. A relatively good athlete, the Sox drafted Edwards for his bat and arm with the hope that he can make enough progress behind the plate to be an everyday catcher in time. Reves joins Donny Lucy and Francisco Hernandez as the Sox top catching prospects and already has the best throwing arm in the system (threw out 65% of would be base-stealers).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
Awful last pick by the Sox.

I don't think Tyler Reeves is bad. Give me a guy who could hit .300 with 13 hr's anyday. He sounds like an AJ Pierzynski clone. Anyone know how good of a game he calls?

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
I don't think Tyler Reeves is bad. Give me a guy who could hit .300 with 13 hr's anyday. He sounds like an AJ Pierzynski clone. Anyone know how good of a game he calls?

Player generally hit .100 to .200 points high in college than the pros.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
I'll take the risk over a Lance Broadway clone. Add to the fact that scouts think he could add more velocity to his fastball as he fills out, I would've been much happier with that pick.

Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like they are saying they need to rebuild his motion or he is an injury risk. Meh.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)

From what I've gathered, very raw behind the plate, but possesses a terrific arm and is considered a good athlete for a catcher.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:55 PM)

He wasn't one of the top 100 prospects in Texas, and that's not because he was an unknown. I also just learned that the Cubs are expected to try and make Jeff S. choose between baseball and football with a monster signing bonus.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
He wasn't one of the top 100 prospects in Texas, and that's not because he was an unknown. I also just learned that the Cubs are expected to try and make Jeff S. choose between baseball and football with a monster signing bonus.

Good, because we all know their big league squad has plenty of talent.