Official Day 1 Draft Thread

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
Hehe -- it's funny you actually think that him hitting .300 will transfer directly to the majors.

If you hit .300 in college, it's nothing special.

But go ahead, keep criticizing the Sox for not drafting hard-throwers, I almost forgot that you're one of the top scouts in the country.

I never said I was. I also don't know why you have to act like a hardass for either. I'm sorry for having an opinion on the draft. :banghead

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw shelby play.

he was rated higher at the start of the season. Started slow, finished strong.

hit sixth for a Kentucky team that was a surprise winner of the SEC, but then bombed in the SEC tournament and at home over the weekend in the NCAA tournament.

his HR numbers are a bit inflated. Plays in a small park. Kentucky as a team was third in the nation in HRs.

decent fielder. good, not great, speed. seemed like a good kid.

8th round pick: Kent Gerst.

One of the fastest players at the Area Code Games last summer, outfielder Kent Gerst could be the first high school player drafted out of Missouri. A Missouri State recruit, he's considered signable in the first 10 rounds, and the White Sox have shown as much interest as any club. Gerst has 65-70 speed on the 20-80 scouting scale, and he's a legitimate center fielder and leadoff man. He makes contact but there are some concerns about his size (5-foot-10, 175 pounds).

Kent Gerst will be in his third year as the starting centerfielder for the Fort Zumwalt West Jaguars of coach Mike Rimmer in 2006. Gerst helped the Jaguars to a district title last spring as he won all-league first team honors. He batted .400 and led his team in hitting, homers, runs, stolen bases and outfield assists. He set team marks for stolen bases in a season and a career and base hits in a season and a career. Gerst also had a 1.00 ERA and four saves on the mound. He was an all-league second team pick as a sophomore and led the club in homers, triples and steals.

From FutureSox (slowly catching back up)

• Justin Cassel, RHP - The Sox stick with pitching (5th pitcher took) in the 7th round going with Patriots backup QB Matt Cassel's younger brother. Cassel was a starter for UCI. Fellow Sox farm hand Sean Tracey played his ball at UCI as well. Cassel, a junior, won 9 games in 2005 and when he came to UCI he was one of the top prospects in the country (39th in the 03 draft). This year he went 7-9 with a 3.43 ERA while pitching a team high 134 innings (99 K, 25 BB). Cassel has good command of all 3 of his pitches: a fastball, curve, and changeup.

• Brian Omogrosso, RHP - Selected by the White Sox in the 6th round of the draft out of Indiana State. Omogrosso is an extreme sidearmer who has a relatively smooth delivery. The junior righty missed the entire 2005 season due to an arm injury.