Griffey Talk

Steve9347

Dan Patrick show says that KW is incredibly interested in Griffey, and a deal may go down...

and hawk, he would play centerfield...

i hate to be the one to start this thread, but I just heard this seconds ago...

Think they'd want Politte?

Seriously...the problem here is that Cinci is in the middle of a pennant race right now, in 2nd place in the NL Central. Their starting pitching, our best asset, is not the best in the NL, but it's hovering in the block near the top. Their offense is currently #4 in the NL.

The thing that they could use? Relief pitching. Which is the one thing we don't have to give them. In other words, we'd be asking them to sacrifice this season, where they're off to a competitive start, with new ownership IIRC, in exchange for prospects, because that's all we'd have that would help them out.

Oh, and Griffey still should be DHing somewhere.

Edited by Balta1701

I can't see the Reds trading him, as they're off to a great start this season. I'd take Griffey Jr. in a heartbeat....and make JR worry about paying him. I have a funny feeling that McCarthy might be used as trade bait. I'm not so sure that Ozzie likes him as much as a lot of us do.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Dan Patrick show says that KW is incredibly interested in Griffey, and a deal may go down...

and hawk, he would play centerfield...

i hate to be the one to start this thread, but I just heard this seconds ago...

Yeah another DH for the team. Last year sure, this year it doesnt make sense.

Over/Under on the number of games it takes to get him injuried in CF for the sox.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
Yeah another DH for the team. Last year sure, this year it doesnt make sense.

Over/Under on the number of games it takes to get him injuried in CF for the sox.

None because sadly, he isn't coming here. Also, I don't think he's going to get injured like he has in his first couple of years in Cincy. He's weight trained and all and he looks a whole lot healthier(starting last year). Plus we have Herm Schneider who is one of the best in the business in terms of health fitness(don't know why he's so fat though :bang ). Griffey would also allow Anderson to still get time in. Also, I think Cincy would be happy taking his salary off the books and receiving prospects. Remember, they weren't doing bad without him at all. I think we would have to give up a bit for him though.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Did Griffey say he didn't want to play for the White Sox last season?

If the nuggets/rumors we've heard are correct, Griffey himself didn't seem to have a problem with the deal, but it was Cincinnati's ownership at the time that killed the deal bringing him to the south side.

Guest JimH
If the nuggets/rumors we've heard are correct, Griffey himself didn't seem to have a problem with the deal, but it was Cincinnati's ownership at the time that killed the deal bringing him to the south side.

Right, and what was the proposed deal? I know it did not involve McCarthy.

As I recall it was another pitching prospect, Casey Rogowski was in there for sure, and some other prospect.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)
Right, and what was the proposed deal? I know it did not involve McCarthy.

As I recall it was another pitching prospect, Casey Rogowski was in there for sure, and some other prospect.

Young was in there I do believe.

Guest JimH
Young was in there I do believe.

Yes, thanks, it was Chris Young. So it was Rogowski, an OF prospect ... and maybe there was a mid level pitching prospect too. Not sure about that though, it might have been just Rogo and Young.

Interesting.

One thing this board can agree on, KW will not sit still if he thinks there's a hole. Right now he's got a bullpen hole and an offense hole in CF.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
Yes, thanks, it was Chris Young. So it was Rogowski, an OF prospect ... and maybe there was a mid level pitching prospect too. Not sure about that though, it might have been just Rogo and Young.

Interesting.

One thing this board can agree on, KW will not sit still if he thinks there's a hole. Right now he's got a bullpen hole and an offense hole in CF.

And by far the more important of those is the bullpen hole (which also goes by the name Cliff Politte)

Um, I was listening to the DP show and this was never said. All that was stated was that Griffey might go on the block later next month once the Reds are out of it and if the Reds could get 3 blue chip prospects for Griff it would be a whole hell of a lot easier to sell it to the fans.

Neither of Patrick or Oberman said that JR had any interest, simply that if he became available they could see the Sox having interest.

Also, you can see the credibility Dan Patrick carries with him, there ain't a chance in hell the Reds get 3 big time prospects for him. Just one more thing to add to the shredded credibility of DP and Keith Oberman, Oberman stated that the Sox have a pretty deep system and would have the big time prospects necessary to land Griffey.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)
And I'll be the one who buys them off of you.

They are all on the road :P (3 in Pittsburgh, 2 in Baltimore, 1 in Minnesota [so far, I could be buying 2 more in Minny])